Which Linux distro

siebkens

Just let us know when you´re ready Sieb, we will arrange a broad audience to follow your install-adventures. :D :DB) Bruno

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• siebkens

• teacher

• quint

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Sieb - you can do it. If I can you can. After all any grandma can install Linux. I think that would make it that a majority of the women can say Linux . I lost tally in my head of the women posters. I am not sure but I think there are a half dozen of us that post now. If I can do it, you can. Install the hard drive, fix the floppy, and away we go.

You see Sieb, the audience is there already, we´re waiting for the show to start . . . . :D Bruno

Just let us know when you´re ready Sieb, we will arrange a broad audience to follow your install-adventures. :D :DB) Bruno
I just had to grin a little - a broad audience just conjures up all sorts of funny scenarios! :DJulia, I think that was a challenge! :D The biggest problem is the computer that I'm planning to load it on is in the basement & we finally have a beautiful, unrainy day here. Hate to miss a minute of this sunshine. Maybe this evening when the sun is heading around to Bruno's part of the world, I'll venture downstairs.---------------------------Won't be able to wait too long!

I just had to grin a little - a broad audience just conjures up all sorts of funny scenarios!
You mean I said something stupid ? ( Not obscene I hope . . :D ) Or did you have to much sun already ?:D Bruno

broad - wide, open, ample; outspoken; coarse; general; tolerant;or#10 - indelicate, indecent#12 - unconfined, unrestrained#21 - a. a woman, b. a promiscuous womanGeez, broad can mean many different things - no wonder English is such a tough language! :D OK, I know this isn't the water cooler - didn't mean to get off topic.--------------------------Love my unabridged dictionary! :D----------------------------Just soaking in the sun! :D

Julia, I think that was a challenge! 
You mean you have to think? I thought it was obvious! :D
Just let us know when you´re ready Sieb, we will arrange a broad audience to follow your install-adventures. BrunoI just had to grin a little - a broad audience just conjures up all sorts of funny scenarios!
Okay, fill Bruno in. Let him know that a broad audience can mean all female (broads) or it could mean people with wide bottoms, etc. If you don't, I will. We can't leave the penguin in the dark. :D :D _______________________Is that subtle enough?

I had no such thing in mind !!! I did mean all sorts of tolorant and broad minded peolple . . . . you know the usual nice and welbehaved folk here in the Linux forum, not the seedy bunch of the watercooler. :D :DB) Bruno

I had no such thing in mind !!! I did mean all sorts of tolorant and  broad minded peolple . . . . you know the usual nice and welbehaved folk here in the Linux forum, not the seedy bunch of the watercooler.B) Bruno
Yes, I think that there are quite a few broad minded folks in the water cooler. :lol: But your manners in the Linux forum are impeccable! :D --------------------Trying to score points with the Linux guru before my big install! ;)

Trying to score points with the Linux guru before my big install!  B)
Sieb, like you need to do that!? You do have curly hair... that's practically all you need! :lol:

Don´t even know where the cooler is, but I do need a glass of water now ! You women make me say things I would not dream of . . . . I raised three daughters in good manners and virtue . . . . they will testify for me and high standard of ethics.:lol: Bruno

He says he raised three daughters. Okay, let's hear from them. Sieb - don't worry too much about the install. Use the Nero to burn your CDs. They should work. If you have a good Cd you should be fine. I take it you installed your drive and fixed your floppy problems. Don't forget to make sure your computer is set up to boot from CD. I forgot that step and I usually don't allow that to keep from someone accidently installing an OS or anything layig around. Funny that we both posted at the same time.We will hold your hand walking through this. Just as soon as I get back from dinner. B) Water cooler? What is that? Is that like the hot tub in the other room? Oops, off track. I will behave. I will behave. I will behave._____________________-The voice of experience :lol:

BASIC RULES FOR INSTALL1) Don´t forget to do a good backup of important data on your computer even if it is on a partition that won´t be effected by the install !2) Make a plan in advance on how you want your partitions done ( see page 4 of The Tips ) and what filesystem you want to use ( Ext3, ReiserFS etc. )3) Do not uses all your free space of the windows partition, you might want to leave some working-space there for adding new programs or temp files ( CD burning programs need at least 700 MB temp ) we don´t want to cripple your windows OS. B)4) BIOS: Put the entry: PnP aware OS on NO !5) BIOS: First boot device: CD-rom, second Floppy, third IDE-06) Check out the README and INSTALL text files on your CD7) Note down the root-password you make during install. ( once you have used it a couple of times you can burn the evidence :lol: )8) Install the bootloader Lilo in the MBR ( it will include your windows options automatically ).9) ALWAYS make a boot-floppy ! Pin this on the wall, and read it again every time you make a new install ! :DB) Bruno

Sieb,Only the RED lines are important for you, you have a new HD for Mandrake so point 1 and 3 are not for you.Point 2 however is good to remember, IF you can choose between Ext2 and Ext3 file system choose Ext3.The bootfloppy can be made after install.:lol: Bruno

Use the Nero to burn your CDs.
Her CD´s are already burned Julia, she got them from Cheapbytes $6.99 B) ( See, she´s clever, no messing around with all kind of burning software and checksums ):lol: Bruno

SonicDragon

Well, i've narrowed my choises for the summer down to three.Mandrake. Because of it's ease of use, easy install and Bruno. But, many people say it's too easy, too bloated, and has too much hand holding.Slackware. Supposed to be very stable. And i would really learn linux if i did that. But, on the other hand, i don't want it to be too hard either. But, i'm very willing to take time and learn.FreeBSD. Everything i've ever read says that the BSDs are better than linux. But, then i don't get the support for all u linux people :(Choises Choises Choises!Good Luch with all your installs!

What about SuSE? Similar to Mandrake but, IMHO, much more polished. And the YaST2 configuration tool has no peers in Windows or Linux! :lol:

Sonic,I love that, when somebody is at the market and sees all those lovely oranges and apples and bananas and pineapples and peaches :lol: . . . .and they just can´t make up their mind ! They just stand there for hours not knowing what to choose . . . it all looks so delicious.Fruit is good for your body, Linux is great for the brains ;) :D !B) Bruno

SonicDragon
What about SuSE?
I guess i never really went for SUSE because it has no free download. Its not that i don't under stand why they do that, but, with all the other free alternatives, i'd rather try and use for a while before spending money on it.
They just stand there for hours not knowing what to choose
Yup B) But i have a while to decide :lol:

I guess i never really went for SUSE because it has no free download. Its not that i don't under stand why they do that, but, with all the other free alternatives, i'd rather try and use for a while before spending money on it.
The FTP d/l and install is free. :lol:

They don't offer a free ISO download but you can try the Live Eval CD download, the FTP download as I described, or if you have enough patience and disk space, just copy the whole mirror and install from your hard disk!

Use the Nero to burn your CDs.
Her CD´s are already burned Julia, she got them from Cheapbytes $6.99 :) ( See, she´s clever, no messing around with all kind of burning software and checksums )B) Bruno
Thanks to some great advice from the penquin & a slow modem connection most of the time! ;) At under $10 including shipping & handling, can't beat the price. :D Burned my knoppix iso onto a cd using Nero trial version & never did get it to boot - will work with Mandrake for now. I've printed out instructions, now down to the basement to WORK! ---------------------Keeping fingers crossed!

Crossing my fingers too Sieb, but will fall a sleep that way . . . plenty others to help you though !B) Bruno

By the way, you have about 15- 20 minutes now as it loads (in between answering the beginning questions and letting it set up your drive) to kick back. If you have another line open, take a break in the water cooler or curl up with a good book!

2) Make a plan in advance on how you want your partitions done ( see page 4 of The Tips ) and what filesystem you want to use ( Ext3, ReiserFS  etc. )
I replaced my battery (been having clock problems), got floppy & 2nd hard drive installed correctly. ;) If I had to make a living installing floppy drives, I would be starving in a week. In a single floppy drive installation - managed to bend pins, connect cable to only half the floppy drive pins, connected cables backwards, upside down, inside out & I don't know what-all at least twice. Kept showing up as removable device. Finally figured out that I HAD TO ENABLE THE FLOPPY DRIVE IN THE BIOS - DUH!!Oh, I'm sorry, was I yelling? B) No major problems with hard drive install.
Teacher wrote:  By the way, you have about 15- 20 minutes now as it loads (in between answering the beginning questions and letting it set up your drive) to kick back. If you have another line open, take a break in the water cooler or curl up with a good book! 
I'll be back!!!!!!! Bwahaahaahaahaaaaa! :D Anyway, on to the next step.--------------------------Reading page 4 of The Tips

Don't forget you only need to do the stuff in red on bruno's tips about a dozen back. Set up your bios! No pins to bend there. Good luck.

Julia has been PMing me with help on this. Suggested that since this hd is a 2nd drive & will be a Linux only hd, to let Mandrake guide me through this. This reminds me of different approaches to help feed the hungry - by giving them a fish or teaching them to fish.You guys are teaching us to fish! B) I am stuck on the question - Which disk/scsi driver should I try? I assume that this means that it didn't recognize my hd. My 2nd hd is a Maxtor 10 GB from 1999. I'm not sure I'm going to make it through all tonight. Sounds like rain again tomorrow, so I should have plenty of time to work on it. :)I am going to read the Linux threads to see if anyone else had this question. The first in the list (is this the default, or just the first alphabetically? - numbers first) is 3v-xxxx (3ware Storage Controller Linux Driver). --------------The appreciative Sieb! :D

It doesn't show two harddrives? You should have hda and hdb (hdb being the second harddrive)... If it's plugged in IDE (normally), you shouldn't have a driver to install... Select custom partitioning, go to hdb and have it auto allocate B)