Which Linux distro

siebkens

I have a 6 GB hard drive hanging around to try a Linux install/ dual boot with XP Pro. Is there a thread here that you can recommend to start? Which distro - I need to be able to restart download - my fast connection isn't working. :) ---------------The trying to step into Linux Sieb :)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• siebkens

• teacher

• quint

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings Siebkins.I'm now using Mandrake 9.1 and having a ball. It's on a dual boot system with Win XP Pro.Using a program called LeechGet I was able to download the 3 disks with no problems. Md5Check sums were correct even with interrupted downloads. And it's free.http://www.leechget.de/Mandrake 9.1 is an easy install and if your afraid of partitioning use the Auto feature, but, make sure you choose the correct HD. :) Have fun :) :) .

Hey SiebI would try Mandrake ..and I believe some of the HTTP Mandrake sites would allow you to use a Download manager ( of course I think you can get Mandrake real cheap from cheapbytes/also I have Mandrake Dualboot with WinXP Pro..works great using Lilo and Boot....Redhat would work great to..I like 8.0 better that 9.0, but to me mandrake just seems better.http://cart.cheapbytes.com for about $7.00US Plus S&HThen again you just might want to D/L Knoppix and copy to your HD..Bruno walked me through that and it was easy!

Hi SiebWelcome to the All Things Linux !I´d recommend Mandrake, ask anyone, they will tell you I always do advice Mandrake for a first install. ( I got stocks :) )As you have a connection problem order them Here, only $5.97 for the 3 CD´s, that´s real cheap. order the ¨Mandrake 9.1 Final i586¨ and it will take only a few day´s before you´ll get them. Don´t order at Mandrake store,that will take 3 - 4 weeks and does cost a lot more !Downloading in parts, or on a slow connection is NOT recommended !We´ll be waiting here for you to help you with the install.:) BrunoPS: Barry´s Cheapbites is O.K. too

i'm partial to SuSE, but it costs money. so maybe try mandrake, but keep SuSE in mind too if you got cash burning hole in your pocket or can find a copy from a friend :) got SuSE 8.2 running beautifully, I have never tried Mandrake but everything is so nice in SuSE that i can't imagine how it can be better :) i've had just a couple of hickups but got them all sorted out:-loading 3D enabled nvidiia drivers-patching mplayer to play divx moviesand what i succeeded tonight:-load Mozilla 1.4b with anti-aliasing enabled (D*** beautiful fonts in SuSE)

Guest ThunderRiver

I would say go with SuSE 8.2 Professional. Perhaps, I do trust German product more, but hey that's me. I like its looking, and also its YaST and SaX2 wizard. They are amazing when it comes to program installation as well as X11 setup.SuSe 8.2 is truly making big steps since 8.0BitTorrent has SuSE 8.2 Professional, so you don't necessarily have to buy it.

Throws in his 2 cents - either Mandrake or Redhat - usually easiest for new peopleman I leave for a week and I am way behind

I´d recommend Mandrake, ask anyone, they will tell you I always do advice Mandrake for a first install. ( I got stocks ;) )
Ok - I ordered Mandrake 9.1, the penquin & lots of others liked it. Wow Bruno, recommending people 1 at a time at $5.97 - you must be rolling in the bucks!

Hi SiebGood choice Mandrake . . . Where did you order, Cheapbites ? Have to get their stocks as well then . . ;) ;) ;) ! ( just tell me where to invest )Hope we can get you running in no time.:) Bruno

Here I come to upset the apple cart...I prefer Slackware. IMO it's a leaner, meaner Linux distro that counts stability as one of its paramount objectives. It's not as pretty as some other distros (in that I mean you don't have stuff like pretty graphical installation programs) but don't let that fool you...it's a great distro of Linux. A buddy of mine is supposed to be sending me a K6-2/400 motherboard with CPU and RAM...I'll buy a case and provide the rest of the hardware and I'll be putting Slackware 9.0 on a spare 8 gig hard drive I have. You'll see me around here more often when I get that done. B)

Hi HawkfanI think Slackware is a fine distro, run Slack 9.0 myself and am very pleased with it. Also the install is a lot easier then the previous 8.1, but I do think for someone taking her/his very first steps in Linux . . . . . . unless putting an enormous amount of time and effort in it . . . . . . . it´s just a bit to hard to master.Learning the basics on an easier distro might lead them after some time to Slackware or LFS, where most of us real hardcore distro fans end up anyway . . . . . ;)B) Bruno

I think Slackware is a fine distro, run Slack 9.0 myself and am very pleased with it. Also the install is a lot easier then the previous 8.1, but I do think for someone taking her/his very first steps in Linux  . . . . . . unless putting  an enormous amount of time and effort in it . . . . . . . it´s just a bit to hard to master.
True...I was also quite lucky to have a LUG in my home state that also has a good mailing list set up. There are a few Slackware users on that list and I was able to ask a few questions of the veterans on there.Just wanted to put it out there, ya know? B)

I know where you´re comming from, Hawkfan ! Slack is addictive . . . . . . . and a good LUG or other kinds of support is essential. Let us know when you´re ready to tell about the 9.0 you are going to install, feel free to start a new topic about it once your install was succesfull.B) BrunoNote: LUG = Linux User Group, every city has one !

B) The good news is - I downloaded my Knoppix iso file!! :( The bad news is that it is 733 MB. I don't have any cd-r's that I can fit this file on. ;) What am I missing?Thanks!----------------The waiting for my Mandrake Sieb :)

Hi Sieb,That´s rather funny, the info I get is:

Knoppix - KNOPPIX_V3.2 EN (English)700MB
You must have picked up a hitchhiker on the way ! Beats me why you end up with 33MB more !Did you do the checksum on it ? Can´t imagine that the numbers would be right.Dial-up is just not very suited for downloading ISO´s. So sorry for you, you´re trying so hard . . . . . . Mandrake will come in soon. ;)B) Bruno

Actually, my fast connection was working, I downloaded it in 2 hours from the xmission site here: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.htmlAll of the distros on the xmission page are over 700 MB. 5/16 EN is listed as 716082 KB5/20 is listed as 716586 KB.I downloaded the 5/20 distro. I'll check into the other sites to find more info. BTW I read the FAQ's, but didn't find any mention of this problem.

Hi SiebI get mine Here at LinuxIso 700 MB.As you´ve got broadband now, download it there, they will fit on your CD.What will you burn it with ? Have you got NERO ?Good burning is essential, see what happened to Julia ! ;)B) Bruno

SiebI got the 5/16 version, the only thing was I had to finalize the cd-r to complete it..other than that it was good to go!( Used Nero for burning) B)

Barry,If they do their accounting like they´re counting their MB´s no wonder the dot-com business is having a hard time !Just a thought . . B) ;) :DB) Bruno

Yea.. LOL.. But I think they are more accurate with the MB count...at least they know where the MB's went...who knows where the money went... B)

SiebI got the 5/16 version, the only thing was I had to finalize the cd-r to complete it..other than that it was good to go!( Used Nero for burning) :rolleyes:
Barry,I had to go download Nero on my slow connection, so it took awhile & I didn't get back here. Ran into the finalize question too. Said yes, but my cd doesn't seem to be bootable. I'll have to get back to it later this afternoon! Bruno wrote:
As you´ve got broadband now, download it there, they will fit on your CD.What will you burn it with ? Have you got NERO ?Good burning is essential, see what happened to Julia !
I don't actually have broadband - I'm beta testing a new broadband service & I'm actually about 5 miles out of range, but I use it when it works!I haven't finished rereading Julia's thread, but will try to do that before I come back here, also I'll check my cd in another computer & reburn a cd.---------------------------The I'll keep trying Sieb! :unsure:

Here I come to upset the apple cart...I prefer Slackware.  IMO it's a leaner, meaner Linux distro that counts stability as one of its paramount objectives.  It's not as pretty as some other distros (in that I mean you don't have stuff like pretty graphical installation programs) but don't let that fool you...it's a great distro of Linux.
thats one thing i dont understand. saying that something is more stable, but doesnt have GUI. it's one thing if you prefer command interface, but its obvious it will be more stable if you take KDE or gnome out of the equation. same reason that DOS was always more stable than Windows. ;) as for me, i'll risk instability if it means having a KDE menu of icons and Evolution email. :Dedit: oops, re-read your post, you refered just to graphical INSTALLATION... heh, my bad :D

PreludeSlackware can be used text based but also with KDE (3.1), Gnome, ICEwm and many other windowmanagers. On first sight when KDE is up you wold not be able to tell the difference, on first sight I say, because there is no graphical log-in, no auto log-in, many of the typical KDE apps you see in other distro´s can not be found in Slackware. Aterm is everybodies favorite ¨console¨ that is used for most of the actions you do. Knowing the commandline is a must.;) Bruno

• 2 weeks later...

I received my copy of Mandrake in the mail yesterday, but don't know when I'll get to install it. Lots of work to do before I install it. Install 2nd hard drive, fix floppy installation that I messed up. Just stuff that takes time to do. :D -------------------------Looking forward to trying it! :D