LinkSys wireless driver for Mandrake 9.2

Guest lea3792

Guest lea3792

I have a linksys wireless card 802.11g, model#wpc54G ver.1.2. My laptop detects the card but it will not work. I am a newbe to linux and computing in general so go slow and take it easy with me. Thanks you very much. Lea

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• Frogger

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi LeaWelcome to the All Things linux Forum !Julia ( nick: teacher ) is our wireless expert so she will surely jump in here to help you.Until then could you type this in a terminal/console so we can see what module gets loaded for the card:

# cat /etc/modules.conf

B) BrunoPS: A small note:

We try to avoid the word ¨newbie¨,  it does no justice to the efforts we, also the beginners, put in to learn a new operating system. I think the wish to learn Linux shows a brave attitude and deserves a better qualification.  --Bruno

Hi LeaNow that we know the details of your wireless and that it was automatically picked up by Mandrake we need to know a few details. Are you running through a WEP? That means you are using a password to access yoru wireless. If you are not, you should unless you don't mind sharing your computers and your connection with anyone passing by or your neighbors. The best thing to do at this point is to access your router. Go to the page for the setup for the wireless and write down what is there. Tell me if it has a SSID (have you given it a name) what channel (6 is the default) and we will go from there.I will not be back on line probably with any time until five hours from now. Then I will leave again less than 3 hours later so this is a busy day for me but we can try to get together then and work this through.

If I could throw in a slightly off-topic comment in here;I rarely recommend WEP anymore. The encryption has been broken for quite a while, and it adds a lot of overhead to your connection speed, making it 20-50% slower. What works just as well, if your router supports it, is to enable MAC filtering (only allowing those computers to join your network who have their MAC address listed in the router) and disable SSID broadcast (announcing your SSID to the world). Combined, those two actions will protect your connection from all but the most determined and talented bandwidth thieves.Also, while troubleshooting your connection, you really don't want any encryption enabled.We now return you to your regularly scheduled program... B)

Guest lea3792

Good evening all. I am very happy you have replyed so quickly. I am very impressed with all of you comments. First to Bruno, I dont know how to access the information at the terminal window. I typed in the commands in the terminal windows and it would just return me to my user name. Once I have access the information how do I paste it on my reply to you. Teacher I am using mac filtering to access through my router. I hope this information is of some use. I work late at night so I may not be here for your reply but please post any thoughts that might help me. I though I was alone out here but I am sure glad I found this forum. Respectfully Lea

Hi LeaSorry for skipping some essential steps in my request for info from the terminal ( or console as some of us call it ), let's try it again:1). Press Alt+F2 ( to get a "run command" box )2). Type "konsole" ( sans quotes ) and press "run"3). In the "terminal/console" you get type at the prompt:

su

It will then ask you for your "root"-password, type it and hit <Enter> again.4). You will see a small change in the last bit of the prompt, the $ changed to # ! This means that from now on you are giving commands as "root" ( administrator ) in that console. Now type:

cat /etc/modules.conf

5). If you just get the prompt back and no real answer from that command try

cat /etc/modprobe.preload

6). Post us the replies you get and which of the 2 commands gave you the reply7). Press Ctrl+D to change the prompt back from # to $ ( so, from root to "normal user" )8). Press Ctrl+D again to close the console <_<:P This was a first, but really important lesson on how to use the console, you will most likely be asked in future posts to do more nice tricks in the console ( or terminal as some of us call it :rolleyes: ). It is important to know that if we type a "$" at the start of a command you will know that the command has to be given as "normal user" ( lea ) and if we type a "#" at the start of a command that command should be given as "root", so you have to type "su" ( super user ) first and give the root-password to get the $ at the end of the prompt to change to # ;)BUT: the $ and # you see at the start of each command we post on the forum are never actually typed in the console when you give the command. We only use them, like I said, to show you if that command is a user or root command ( and after all $ or # are already visible at the end of the prompt ) :DB) BrunoPS: This time I asked you the output of two commands because I am not 100% sure if Mandrake 9.2 still uses the "modules.conf" or already switched to using the "modprobe.preload" . . . . but if the first command does give you output ( most likely it will ) there is no need to give the second one as well because only one of the two will give you a reply :w00t:

Guest lea3792

Hi Bruno Well here it is, it was the first command (cat /etc/modules.conf)above snd-intel 8x0 snd-pcm-ossprobeall usb-interface usb-uhci ehci-hcdalias etho eepro100probeall scsi hostadapter ide-scsialias sound-slot-0 snd intel 8x0alias ieee1394-controller ohci 1394Well I hope I copied all of the commands correctly. Thanks very much for the on line tutoring. I read the manuals to the program and It did not give me any options for trouble shooting. I am glad this forum is around. Again many thanks. I work the grave yard shift so I will read your reply in the morning, if you get a chance. Respectfully Lea

Hi LeaThat is indeed the info I was looking for . . . . I see the eepro on eht0 I think that is your onboard ethernet card, but I see no entry for the wireless.I suppose you can connect to the Net using the "fixed" connection but not the wireless, if so could you post us the following info:

$ lspcidrake >lspcidrake.txt

( so without the $ sign :thumbsup: )This will put a file called lspcidrake.txt in your home directory ( you get no output to the screen in this case ) . . . that makes it easier to copy and paste the text even if you have no external mouse connected to the laptop. ;)If you do have an external mouse, here is a simple tip how to copy and paste in Linux ( also in the console ) Copy and Paste( Because if you have to type all that info you will have cramp in your fingers by the end of this thread :( )B) BrunoPS: Also, you say Mandrake sees the card . . . what exactly tells you it does .. where do you see this ?

Guest lea3792

Good evening Bruno Well I go to configure my computer and I see the wireless card in the drop down menue. I tried to configure the wireless card but it tells me there is no wireless card attached. I have no idea what is going on there but I hope I have given you the info you are looking for.Talk to you soon. Respectfully LeaPS I just think its not loading the drivers if there is any. Lea

That is right Lea, it is not loading the drivers for it at all . . . now, Mandrake 9.2 is not the most recent edition . . . is there any chance you could get the 10.1 ?? ( you will have a better chance )Also . . . . do you have a connection using the eth0 ? ( the normal "fixed" connection ):o BrunoPS: we had some questions about the 802.11g but it looks like you need a recent version of your distro:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...l=802\.11gand: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...l=802\.11g

Guest lea3792

I tried to load Mandrake 10.0 and the program did not let me access to the internet. I tried to configure it several times but I was not successfull. Well after several tries I decided to revert to something that worked,9.2. I think it helps to say I am working off of a laptop. I have a gateway with 512 meg of ram working off of a P4 chip. Its not a bad machine and I think the machine can handle Mandrake.Any thoughts? Thanks very much for taking time to help me.If I down load 10.1 should I do something special to make the first CD bootable.Again thanks!!! Respectfully Lea

Hi LeaMandrake 10.0 had some issues on booting from CD1 ( it did boot from CD2 though :thumbsup: ) . . but as far as I know this bug did not return in 10.1 . . . it is worth a try . . . ( The Linksys became a very popular card last few years, so should be supported by now ):w00t: Bruno

Guest lea3792

Thanks Bruno but I just think its the program itself no matter what, the card is detected but it just wont work. 10.0(I have an orignal set of disks) boots well and everything else is detected just fine.I will give 10.1 a try, I am having a problem in having the first cd to boot,can you advise on how do I get the first cd bootable. Thanks!!!! Respectfully

If your first disk will not boot then something is wrong with it. I would suggest redownloading the first disk. I had better luck with 10.0 than I did with 10.1. I don't know that you will gain anything there.

Guest lea3792

Hi Bruno First I would like to thank you for all your help. I belong to a user group at home and for some unknown reason they are a little short on help. I am willing to down load the latest version of Mandrake but how do I get the first disk bootable. As soon as I load the program I am afraid that I will no longer have internet access (that happen with 10.0) I can go to my wife's (windows xp ) machine and possibly get access from there but that gives me a whole new set of problems. I will give it a try and let you know how it worked out. Thanks and I will talk to you later. Respectfully Lea

Well, lea . . . you are online now with Mandrake . . . so I see no reason why you should not get connected in Mandrake 10.1.The bootable problem Mandrake had with version 10.0 was a kernel problem that is no longer present in 10.1 . . . just as long as you download AND burn the CDs in Linux ( if you burn them in Linux nothing much can go wrong with it :blink: )Also, and this is important, when you are going to replace the 9.2 with the 10.1 . . . choose for a "clean install" and do not use the "upgrade-function" the installer will present you !And make sure the network-cable is connected to the laptop while you are doing the install ;):( BrunoPS: Would you mind to have a look in this list http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz and see if the card is supported . . . I am beginning to think that it is not.But our moderator Julia "teacher" had a wireless problem too and solved it by buying a simple $5 USB adapter that made her connect.So if the card is not supported we will ask Julia to post the details of the adapter she got and that might then be the way to go.

Not quite $5, it was $9. Still single digit. :( I purchased a USB PRism 2/3 unit. Prisms have lots of Linux support. I picked it up at ecost.com. They do not have that particular one now but they have others under $20 and some under $10. Look at the specs and compare it with the list. Take the list with you if you shop in stores. :) Good luck. :blink:

Guest lea3792

Bruno and Julia,many many thanks, Give me a few days to down load 10.1 and burn the cd's and I will repost when I am done with my results. Respectfully Lea

Guest lea3792

Good morning all. I down loaded Mandrake 10.1 and I tried to install it but it wont boot.I re-down loaded it again but I get the same thing. I am also having a problem with posting my comments to you. I respond to you suguestions and repost then and when I look to see if they are there, I dont see them. Do you thing I may have aa virus. I down loaded the program and it just wont boot the first disk, I tried the second disk but it is no help either. Thanks for the help!!!! Respectfully Lea

Hi Lea1). From what OS are you making the posts on the forum ?2). Can you look on the CD1 and tell me what you see ? Are there may files and directories or just one . . . and what are the names . . . B) Bruno

Guest lea3792

Hi Bruno I just loader the first CD. It says Mandrakelinux 10.1 official Download CD1.i586.iso. I tried to boot that disk but it wont boot. It just goes to Lilo. I first down doaded it from a windows machine,when that did'nt work I tried it from my linux laptop loaded with 9.2. I hope that helps. Respectfully Lea

I just loader the first CD. It says Mandrakelinux 10.1 official Download CD1.i586.iso.
My dear friend . . . . That is no good !! . . . Sure that will never boot :D . . . . . Did you maybe use XP to burn the CD ?? . . And what program did you use ?B) Bruno

Guest lea3792

Bruno You are the Man, we here in the states are looking forward to foot ball sunday and today is the Super Bowl but you are here doing your bit for the cause. Thats outstanding. Well I used the Linux program to down load 10.1 and I burned the disk with the program it came with. I think I did something wrong but I dont know what. Respectfully Lea