Cordless Phone...

Guest Paracelsus

Guest Paracelsus

My ten year old Sony cordless phone/answering machine, has been getting increasingly wacky lately...So I'm looking to replace it. I've always been partial to Sony electronics, but am interested in knowing what others use.I'm basically looking for "top of the line" models.

• Good range
  • Multi channel
  • Digital answering machine
  • Long battery life
  • etc.

(Please don't recommend going cell. I'm not into it. :P Also don't recommend using a provider's voice mail. I don't need to access my messages everywhere.)

Edited by Paracelsus

I would recommend Vtech phones. I have never had one that gave me a problem.I would also look for:5.8 GHz Dgital Spread SpectrumDual Handsets

Guest Paracelsus

OK!, Folks!I realize this is the WC. I posted here because the question doesn't really fit in the Hardware area. However...I am looking for useful recommendations, please. :P

From the Folks:Sorry, I just read about that today & it tickled my funnybone.--------------The back on topic Sieb Twenty lashes with the Off-topic smilie! :whistling:

I'm with Ross549... My first choice would be the higher end V-techs or AT&T. I've been through quite a few phones, and these two brands seem to be good performers

Then forget Adam's Vtech recommendation. I throw those away! To each his own.I have never had a phone last that many years! How do you manage to go that long without frying one by lightening? If I get two years out of a phone I am happy. :w00t:I will have to look when I get home to see what I got hubby. I believe it was a panasonic. What I like about it is that it has this voice enhancer thing and ring that he can actually hear. Don't suggest a hearing aid because he "doesn't have a problem." Anyway, it is a 5.4 Mhz or whatever the latest is and works great all over the house. I found it: Panasonic® KX-TG5200M 5.8GHz Expandable Cordless Phone System I managed to get it at a really good price but I did not realize how good the price was until I saw it here......I always do my answering machine separately because of the life cycle of phones here due to our propensity toward lightening. :whistling: :ph34r:

My parents found some small boxes that you plug the phone line into, and have them on their phones and computer. They're ten bucks a pop or something close, but if they get a hit before they can get the phones and computer unplugged, it's cheaper than new equipment. I think they got them at Radio Shack, but I'm not sure offhand.

Guest Paracelsus

Thanks for the input, Highlanders.I hadn't realized how much phone technology had increased in the interim. I think my Sonys are 750MHz :lol:

How do you manage to go that long without frying one by lightening?
Not sure. Perhaps the apts. where I live are well grounded. We get lots of lightening in Texas as well, and I survived for nearly 10 years before I installed a UPS, with a PC that only had a surge suppressor connected. :ph34r:I'll check out the Panasonic. The reviews I read for the VTech were mixed. People either had really good, or really bad, luck with them. Sounds like they may not have very good quality control/assurance in place. :thumbsup: Edited by Paracelsus

I've always liked Uniden phones (although I haven't used one in a couple years)... They have very good voice quality, and aren't overly complicated. :thumbsup:

I have picked up several V-Techs at the same time and had to take half back, the other half worked great. That leads me to believe you are right in that it is a major quality control problem. It is something about sand dunes that attracts lightening. We average a strong hit on the house every couple of years. I have all computers on UPS and all televisions and major appliances on surge strips. However, I figure most of the phones are throw-aways. Some phones are so cheap that you can throw them away cheaper than buy a surge protector for them. The Panasonic is really sweet. However, that said, I don't think I have ever paid more than $25 for a phone. I have three of the old black phones to plug in when the electricity is out and the fancy ones don't work. :thumbsup:

I have a Uniden that I have had for 3 or 4 years now .. still on the same battery pack that came with it (amazing) when it dies, if ever I will upgrade to the ghz range ....

I have three of the old black phones to plug in when the electricity is out and the fancy ones don't work. wink.gif
that must be interesting .. since , in all my experiences with phones ... the ringer is AC powered and if the electricity is off .. where is it getting the power from to ring ???

Guest Paracelsus

That reminds me...I do need to pick up corded phone as well. The last one I still have likes to put any # tone through twice when a button is depressed. Makes calling out quite difficult.Anyway...Not wanting to drag out this process...I looked over the following two phones at BizRate:Panasonic GigaRange KX-TG5110MVtech IP5850(Sorry, Ryan. I was already shopping by the time you posted)It was a tough choice, but the vTech won out on a Feature/Price analysis. Hopefully, I'll get a set from one of the better tested/inspected lots. :PThanks again for the input. :thumbsup:

Edited by Paracelsus

Guest Paracelsus

What are you drooling over??You really need up to eight additional handsets? (I only need one extra)Never miss a call? (I LOVE missing calls!)Extra battery life? What?

It looks like you are off to ecost.com. One word of warning - shopping there is addictive. They tend to be quick to deliver, and their rebates all come through in a fairly speedy manner. :thumbsup:

I'm told that Uniden is actually one of the highest quality telephone manufacturers. I am using a cordless 900 MHz Uniden phone that I've had for 7 or 8 years. I've let the battery go dead at least twice a month for the entire life (let's see, 7 years x 12 months per year x 2 times per month = 168 times dead). Never changed out the battery pack :lol: It also will beep at me (low battery voltage warning) for 20 to 30 minutes so I have ample warning of it going dead (unlike my cell phone that beeps once and dies 1 second later :thumbsup: ).

Guest Paracelsus
that must be interesting .. since , in all my experiences with phones ... the ringer is AC powered and if the electricity  is off ..  where is it getting  the power from to  ring ???
I think Julia is referring to the old kind of corded phone, that only need to be plugged into the phone jack. I believe the ringers on those are activated by the same kind of electromagnetic induction that runs through the phone lines.They do come in handy when the power is out! B) Edited by Paracelsus

Paracelsus has it exactly right. Those old, old black phones with the rotary dial that do not plug into any kind of electrical outlet do not need any electricity to run. They are completely functional when you have a power outage. Back when the phone companies switched to allowing you to buy your own phone, they sold the black ones for $5 each. The amazing thing is that after 25 years or so they still work just like they did then. :)There was a picture of one in Sieb's post. I loved that one. I sure would not be up to doing that kind of modification but it is nice to see someone being so energetic.

B) .......I also was refering to "corded" phones, however I meant the push button type of phone, and it does need that electric current in order for the "ringer' to function, after all the phone is audio and audio is AC .. or at least it was when I taught basic electricity and electronics .......

Guest Paracelsus
You are correct.
How diplomatic. Not specifying whom.
B) .......I also was referring to "corded" phones, however I meant the push button type of phone, and it does need that electric current in order for the  "ringer' to function,  after all the phone is audio and audio is AC ..  or at least it was when I taught basic electricity and electronics .......
I have an older cord phone that only needs plugged into the phone jack. It has "touch tone" dialing, and rings fine with during black outs. As opposed to the electrical current that runs through AC outlets...Old phones operate by electrical induction. Remember... that's why the force is referred to as "Electromagnetism".Electricity and Magnetism are merely different manifestations of the same force.Just as a fluctuating electric current creates a magnetic field...A variable magnetic field generates an electric current.Old phones use the second principle. When a call is placed to your number, the variable magnetic field that propagates through the phone line to your phone, induces an electric current which triggers the ringer... And caused the cones in the receiver to vibrate, which generates the sound. Same principle as stereo speakers.(At least... it does in mine. And I assume, in Julia's as well) Edited by Paracelsus

We've done it again Paracelsus. I think we are in trouble. Facts in the water cooler. Better run hide from the water cooler patrol!

B) ........ Well .. don't know how old yours was/is .... but I can state without any doubt on several occassions her when there has been a power outage (whether it be nature or some dummy took out the power pole) .. I could not hear the phone ring (no I am not hard of hearing) until the power was restored ... the amazing part is the dial tone was still present .. there just was no current to the ringer ... I could send just not know when I should be receiving .. uh huh as you chatter/listen the little magnet vibrates the diaphram creating the audio you hear or speak going the other way ... in very basic terms ... it has been the better part of 35-40 years since I saw a rotary phone .... ancient

Just as a fluctuating electric current creates a magnetic field...A variable magnetic field generates an electric current.Old phones use the second principle.  When a call is placed to your number, the variable magnetic field that propagates through the phone line to your phone, induces an electric current which triggers the ringer... And caused the cones in the receiver to vibrate, which generates the sound.  Same principle as stereo speakers.(At least... it does in mine.  And I assume, in Julia's as well)
However, the magnetic field would not be there if it were not for the AC running down the line. That is the only reason that there would even be a magnetic field.

B) ........  Well .. don't know how old yours was/is .... but I can state without any doubt on several occassions her when there has been a power outage (whether it be nature or some dummy took out the power pole) .. I  could not hear the phone ring (no I am not hard of hearing) until the power was restored ... the amazing part is the dial tone was still present .. there just was no current to the ringer ...  I could send just not know when I  should be receiving .. uh huh as you chatter/listen the little magnet vibrates the diaphram creating the audio you hear or speak going the other way ... in  very  basic terms ... it has been the better part of 35-40  years  since I  saw a rotary phone ....  ancient
Did the phone have an electrical plug-in? If it did, then it relied on the supplied power to actuate the ringer, and not the power from the phone line. Edited by ross549

We've done it again Paracelsus.  I think we are in trouble.  Facts in the water cooler.  Better run hide from the water cooler patrol!
That is not a problem today.... just go ahead and dock yourself 500.... wait.... were you talking about me too? :( We could simply bypass the rule for now, and reinstate it at my convenience. B) :D B) :w00t: Edited by ross549

Did the phone have an electrical plug-in? If it did, then it relied on the supplied power to actuate the ringer, and not the power from the phone line.
Nope ... just the phone line (4 wires, red, yellow, green and I forget),