Memo from thge IT guy

Jeber

OK, folks...while Arena2045 is "da man" when it comes to new forum skins, IPB upgrades and all that really complicated stuff, I've been given responsibility for the hardware here at Scot's forum.I'm making my first task the organization of all the wires around here. Over time I've noticed that you all have made a complete confusion of connections; running ethernet cables from one forum to another, speaker wires are everywhere, and keyboard and mouse connections are hopelessly tangled in with all the other cords, cables and wires. What a mess!So I've decided to try to run most of the wiring under the floor. This is going to require drilling holes in the floor under your positions. To aid me in this undertaking I'm going to ask you all to move your computer boxes up off the floor for the time being. You can put them on your desk, in your chair or suspend them from the ceiling. Once all the holes are drilled, I'll be coming around and reconnecting your computers one by one to the main forum server by running the wires under the flooring. Next we'll try to organize your keyboard, mouse and speaker cables. Your cooperation with the IT department (aka me) is deeply appreciated. :rdf:

Well, if the IT guy hadn't been reorganizing the forums, and moving topis from here to there, the cables would not be all tangled! :angry:I, for one, will not move my computer central command station! :rdf:

Hmmm, maybe. I'll ask Scot if he can afford a couple hundred access points. And let's see, 2800+ members, 254 unique IP addresses to each subnet...oh jeez, this is gonna get ugly... :rdf:

hmmm could get that...Maybe through the wall (or floor) is the better option..and less expensive....Just all that cat5...and some of us have more than a few computers...(Maybe a cost sharing thing...or a set percentage of computers to be wired) :rdf:

Edited by BarryB

Oh Boy....Jeber, Have I ever upset you(or anyone near you)...if so...I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO Sorry! :rdf: Ummm Adam uuuu maybe it's a way a getting another computer :rdf:

Well, Mr. IT Guy, I keep my computer box up off the floor anyway (gotta protect it from the dogs & cats running around). However, sir, should you hijack this keyboard or mouse, both ergonomically positioned for me, I will have to take drastic measures. Yup, you got it! I have a couple of connections here and there. In a situation as grave as such a hijack, I would be forced to call in reinforcements -- in the name of one Die Hard. av-4360.gif

Edited by Corrine

Oh no,.as I lay here in bed feeling lazy and posting, what will happen if you start drilling underneath where I am at the moment? Then again, I am on a wireless connection.I believe Ross549 has already done the drilling for you under the other computers. Just please do not make a mess of the lines under the house. I don't want to hang myself on dangling lines as I scoot around under the house. :rdf: CorrineHow on earth do you find time to Admin at two forums and mod at another? Are you superwoman???? One is all I can keep up with!

Be aware that any unauthorised poking around my place will be dealt with by Devil Security. :rdf: tas_teeth.jpgHere's the attack sound (right click to download)...Devil ScreamA short Quicktime movie (right click to download)...Devil Clip (This is about 5megs in size for those that worry about such things) :rdf: If you still feel the need to tidy up... :rss:

Edited by Plukaduk

maybe it's a way a getting another computer
I do seem to have a lot of extra parts all of a sudden, if you wanted to put one together... :rdf:

CorrineHow on earth do you find time to Admin at two forums and mod at another?  Are you superwoman????  One is all I can keep up with!
:hmm: FL is about to celebrate its 5th birthday so Admin duties are not time-consuming these days, but it is my "first home" so special to me. MYPC.com is a new site that Aaron Hulett set up a couple weeks ago. If nothing else, it has served as a neutral gathering place for "security-types" from all over. The site definitely has promise. ASAP (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals) is another neutral site. In addition to providing assistance, it served as an alternate help site when a couple "major players" where hit by a DDoS atttack. LS is the one that really takes a lot of time. I could be there 24/7 and there would still be things to do. The duties at other sites are an escape. Being on vacation this week has given me an opportunity to spend a bit of time relaxing here with other Highlanders! :)Back on topic, perhaps when Jeber completes the re-wiring here, he could give me a hand and hard-code all the forums together. Please, Jeber! If you do, I promise to call off Die Hard. ;)

I'm told (by those that were here at the ODAFF (Oklahoma Dept of Ag, Food and Forrestry) when they built this building in '84) that they ran all cabling under the floor. We are STILL removing it all. Luckily for us, the carpet is in 1.5' X 1.5' pieces. Still, we are finding flat ethernet cabling (no clue what catagory it is) every few weeks. Ugly.Also, they originally ran the power cabling the same way. The reason it was decided to revamp that method: Someone in high heels once stepped on a junction box and stopped there. I guess if you get used to that over the course of several years, it's no big thing. Anywho, she was the first to smell an acrid, burning odor. Needless to say, they quickly rerouted the power into the ceilings. :'(

Guest Paracelsus
Some cats don't mind it much at all.....
I knew that was Amanda without even viewing the source :thumbsup:(I think I know what here penance in Purgatory is going to be) :thumbsup: Edited by Paracelsus

what about those of us with multiple command centers? (at least 18 boxes, dozen or so monitors, untold # of switches, modems and perepherials)i have one command center in florida, and 2 in mass.all VNC/VPN/ftp'd to each other, some wirelessmost all of the boxen are already off the floor, but moving everything around just isn't gonna happen by myselfideally, i'd like to centralize all to southern florida (ft laderdale area) if possible so you think you can get building services to help move it all here? it'd make it easier for the IT dept. to re-do the wiring if everything's in one place :happyroll: (yeah, that's a I NEED A JOB DOWN HERE SO I DON'T HAVE TO GO BACK TO TEH FROZEN **** IN MA plea for help :bounce: )

Edited by -ct-

• 2 weeks later...
:lol: ATTENTION ALL HIGHLANDERS!The management wishes to notify everyone that on January 20, 2005, a cleaning crew will be in the forum after hours to clean up all the dead electrons collecting in your computer cases and monitors. Cleaning will take approximately 3 hours. Please remove all personal items and those electrons you wish to keep from the common areas. Any stray electrons not claimed by their owners on the 19th will be removed by the cleaning crew.THANK YOU.

<-------------------Oh poop!  Where could I have lost it?
It's back. I did not have anything on your post - avatar or signature image yet everyone else had theirs. Glad to see you are back. By the way, have you found anything for that itch yet? You have been scratching your head for the longest time. If a student does that we send them to the nurse for a bug check! :thumbsup:

I think while I was under Corrine's desk drilling holes for her half-a-mile of speaker wire (running who knows where) and her other approved cables when I think I got a whole bunch of dead electrons in my hair. I'm afraid they're shorting my brain out... :D

ATTENTION ALL DILBERT-LIKE INHABITANTS OF SCOT'S NEWSLETTER FORUM...It has come to the attention of the IT department that certain security types have been poking around where they don't belong. I don't check for parking stickers on cars in the employee lot, and I'd appreciate it if the security people wouldn't try to second guess the highly technical and very complex work I have to do in the IT department. If those guys were so durned clever, they could have at least finished high school so they might have been qualified for a career a little more rewarding than walking the halls snooping around under people's desks. Don't panic, folks, and don't let the security department make you paranoid. Your IT department has always supported you. Who comes in to turn on your monitor when you call wondering why there's no picture on your television? Who runs over during their lunch break to restore your sound by plugging in your speakers so you can hear the dancing gerbils? Who's been working for over a week to get those cables out of your way? Certainly not the security department.Who would you rather trust with your important documents and illegally downloaded software? Guys with little tin badges...or anti-social geniuses with pocket protectors? I leave the decision up to you. :D