Mandrake 10.1 Install Party!

ross549

(on swingkatz's [my sister Amanda] computer)It was a smashing success!! :PThe install went smooth as butter..... and her scanner was working out of the box!!! We couldn't be happier. The only thing I had to configure was the win_d partition in fstab, so it would mount and be writable at /home/amanda/Documents.Amanda did most of the install herself, and only had a couple of question from me, but otherwise was able to do the install herself.

Mandrake 10.1 is really nice.I am sooooo glad my scanner works now.I feel sorry for all the people who weretrying to help me with it. But it's working now! :clap:By the way, thanks for trying to help me with the scanner. :sorcerer:

:sorcerer: :DHURRAY !!!HURRAY !!!HURRAY !!!:w00t: :happyroll:Congrats Amanda !! Great job !! . . . and . . glad the scanner worked out of the box !( And . . yes . . . Mandrake 10.1 is great !! )B) BrunoPS: As soon as your brother ( Adam ) has PCLos 8 downloaded, you might want to copy over the browser-plugins to your Mandrake install o:) ( Java, flash, helix and mplayer plugins )From a live running PCLos, mount the Mandrake partition and:
# cp  -rd  /initrd/loopfs/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/*  /mnt/hda??/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

( replace the hda?? with the Drake partition you mounted )

Edited by Bruno

PS: As soon as your brother ( Adam ) has PCLos 8 downloaded, you might want to copy over the browser-plugins to your Mandrake install ;) ( Java, flash, helix and mplayer plugins )From a live running PCLos, mount the Mandrake partition and:
# cp  -rd  /initrd/loopfs/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/*  /mnt/hda??/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

( replace the hda?? with the Drake  partition you mounted )

Hey, Bruno....We will do that when we get it.... may be a day or two off yet though......But one question.... will it work with FF1.0? We did the whole download/extract/make link thing, so her FF is actually in /home/amanda. Will it look for the plugins in the same area?

But one question.... will it work with FF1.0? We did the whole download/extract/make link thing, so her FF is actually in /home/amanda. Will it look for the plugins in the same area?
It does in most cases . . . on my installs for some funny reason it always does, but I have seen ( and replied to ) posts on this forum of people where the FF did not naturally take the mozilla plugins, so we then had to link them separately.The most clever thing to do if that happens is to delete the "plugins"- directory of FF and replace it by a link to the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory ( so linking the full directory ) . . . . in that way you force FF to use the plugins in the moz plugins directory ;) >_< ( I know it is a bit hard-handed, but effective B) )B) Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png Edited by Bruno

Amanda, Glad that your scanner now works in Mandrake. :thumbsup:Isn't there a firefox 1.0 rpm for mandrake 10.1 in the MCC yet? :oIf not how is this installed?It's about time I installed firefox. which is why I'm asking. :)I have the PCLos 8 burned to CD-R, but I suspect that firefox should be installed first, then copy the java plugins over. ;)

Hi DardNever . . . I say never use the installer for FireFox . . . just get the regular tar.gz . . unpack it and that is all there is to it !:D Bruno. . . . . Wishes.png
Thanks Bruno, that was super easy to install! :D :w00t:WOW... you are not kidding about never ever using the firefox installer, I learned that leason today. ;)I would of replied sooner but had some company here. :D
Type ¨menudrake¨ and you´ll get a GUI where you can add an entry in --> Networking --> WWW.
In mandrake 10.1 the path is now Internet -> Web Browsers in menudrake.Now to add the plugins from PCLos 8. :D

Amanda, Can you tell us please the make and model of your scanner (worked right out of the box). I have a scanner which I know will never work with Linux, and I want to make a change.Bill. Merry Christmas to you.

Manitoban Amanda,Can you tell us please the make and model of your scanner (worked right out of the box). I have a scanner which I know will never work with Linux, and I want to make a change.Bill.Merry Christmas to you.
The scanner is a Hewlett Packard ScanJet 4300C. It works real nice.My brother, Adam gave me the browser Firefox and He also downloaded me the coolest theme... cats!!!! :D :D :D :D :cat: I love Linux!

LOL . . . Welcome to the club, we love Linux too !  . . . ( Well done Adam !!! Great job !! B) )
Why, thank you, Bruno.... :PIt might have been something to do with my limiting Windoze to only the absolute essentials. No sound, no IM, etc. :)