Tabbed browsing

Jeber

We just had a good argument in favor of tabbed browsing in another thread, and it involves this forum. How many times, when using a non-tabbed browser, and nearing the end of the composition of a great post, have you remembered a quote or URL you wanted to add? So you click back to another forum, or to a website, and when you come back...no post. It's gone.Don't despair. But do switch to a tabbed browser. Open a new tab to check a quote or URL, then click back to your post tab and your post is waiting for your input. Not that I'm suggesting the forum endorses any particular browser, OS, computer ...oh, wait. The forum does indeed endorse the use of computers. This forum is best viewed using a computer. :D

Guest ThunderRiver

Yeah that's the best feature that Firebird ever copied from Opera. IE should do the same too. Very very useful

Hi all, Tabbed browsing is indeed a great feature, and its implemented in a better way than Opera's multiple window feature. Loved the 'right-click, open in new tab feature'. Kicks major butt! ;) Cheers!

Tabbed browsing is the best!It really is hard to believe that Microsoft hasn't incorporated it into IE yet!
Right now the only way I know of to get it in the IE realm is to use one of the "overlay" browsers out there. I am using one called MYIE2 and frankly I'd never go back to a vanilla IE.I am also trying out Firebird but it's not quite there yet for me to use it as my main browser...

Guest LilBambi

I really like Firebird because of the tabbing, the built in features. The only thing I don't like about Firebird is that it doesn't do forums as well as IE. When you do messages in forums, as others have mentioned, it messes up with the coding within the messages. You end up having to either manually do the coding or move it where it is supposed to go.BTW: Does MYIE2 mess with IE or is it a true skin ?The reason I am asking is that I downloaded it awhile ago when I downloaded Avante browser skin. But after I tried Avante and it was so slow in Win98se ... I got rid of it. And just never installed the MYIE2.I got discouraged since everyone was raving about Avante even more than MYIE2 ... and really was quite nice, but it was so slow doing many things, especially when looking at my hundreds of favorites! LOL!Plus, there were three other things I didn't like about Avante: (1) It asked if I wanted to have it be default and I said no. It made itself default anyway. (2) When I uninstalled it, it left some baggage in the registry that I had to remove manually. (3) there was this spyware thing that stayed in the menu system that bugged me (it wasn't installed or SpyBot and Ad-aware would have picked up on it, but you couldn't get rid of it on the menu system.Would really like to know more about MYIE2 before I actually try it. :rolleyes:

Tabbed browsing is what got me first in Opera and then in Phoenix/Firebird.But even more powerfull feature that includes tabs is bookmarking group of tabs.I've got my favorite "Group" of tabs bookmarked so when I open "News" it opens 7 tabs with different news sites, etc..Try it, you'll like it :rolleyes:

twistedcranium

I must admit that while an avid Mozilla fan.....I HATE using the TABS!I'm not completely sure that I have a reasonable sounding excuse for it, but I can say that I can hit CTRL-N just as easily as CTRL-T. :rolleyes:

BTW: Does MYIE2 mess with IE or is it a true skin ?The reason I am asking is that I downloaded it awhile ago when I downloaded Avante browser skin. But after I tried Avante and it was so slow in Win98se ... I got rid of it. And just never installed the MYIE2.I got discouraged since everyone was raving about Avante even more than MYIE2 ... and really was quite nice, but it was so slow doing many things, especially when looking at my hundreds of favorites! LOL!Plus, there were three other things I didn't like about Avante: (1) It asked if I wanted to have it be default and I said no. It made itself default anyway. (2) When I uninstalled it, it left some baggage in the registry that I had to remove manually. (3) there was this spyware thing that stayed in the menu system that bugged me (it wasn't installed or SpyBot and Ad-aware would have picked up on it, but you couldn't get rid of it on the menu system.Would really like to know more about MYIE2 before I actually try it. :rolleyes:
What exactly would you like to know about MyIE2? If there is anything specific I'll try to tell you what I know...I'll just list some general things for now. :ph34r: First off I must say that MyIE2 runs fine in Win98SE...it's what I'm running on this computer as my OS. It starts up much more quickly than Firebird does which is one reason I'm still using it instead of Firebird. I just checked in a registry cleanup-type program and I couldn't find an entry for MyIE2 in there (I'll admit I could've missed it), so it doesn't leave all kinds of junk. The first version I downloaded was one where you could open the .zip file and extract the contents to a folder and start it up with a shortcut you created...it was that easy. The newer beta version I just got recently has an install pogram, but I just installed in the folder I had created before and it seems to run well with no compaints from me.IMO MyIE2 is far from being slow. You mention having hundreds of favorites...let's just say during my last favorites cleanup I had more than a thousand favorites and MyIE2 didn't complain a bit. :ph34r: It is also fairly unobtrusive...it didn't become my default browser until I clicked the menu option to make it so. I can't remember if it even asked beforehand...That's all I can think of to say about MyIE2 right now...feel free to ask and I'll see what I can come up with. :huh:

Guest LilBambi

Hawkfan --Thanks! Overall it doesn't sound like it messes with IE itself, and that's great. I guess the only other question. Does it install any spyware? (No worries if you don't know, I have SpyBot S&D and Ad-aware :ph34r: ) -- was just wondering if you knew. I didn't see anything either way on their website at least that I noticed right off.Think I will install the new version of it I got last night and see how I like it.When I get a chance to install it and try it out, I will post my thoughts about it in the MYIE2 thread. Let's continue this part of the conversation there.Intermission over now ... LOL!---We now return to Tabbed Browsingzox --On dialup, I don't take advantage of the tabbed groups feature in the normal way. I don't think the pages would come in fully all at once like that on limited bandwidth and because I share this limited bandwidth on our network, I just haven't tried it out to see for sure.But I still use the feature for saving groups (which is so easy), then go to organize bookmarks, and it shows the individual links within that tabbed group and I just double click on the one I want from there.twistedcranium --I also use the 'cntrl N' sometimes, but that 'cntrl T' is my favorite keyboard shortcut in Firebird and in Mozilla. I can't help it, I just love tabs!There are so many cool features about tabbed browsing in general. I generally just right click on a link and choose open in new tab.

twistedcranium
twistedcranium --I also use the 'cntrl N' sometimes, but that 'cntrl T' is my favorite keyboard shortcut in Firebird and in Mozilla. I can't help it, I just love tabs!There are so many cool features about tabbed browsing in general. I generally just right click on a link and choose open in new tab.
This brought me to pondering the memory usage differences between tabbed browsing and having x number of separate windows open. Hrmmmm.....sounds to me that tabbed browsing, unless coded poorly, would save a bit on system resources. I wonder if there is data on this out there?

Guest LilBambi

Found an interesting article about KDE's Konquerer getting a face lift to include tabbed browsing soon. Apparently it's only available in CVS form now, not directly through binaries. I think I will wait for the binaries personally.But you have to give Mozilla credit, a balanced review:http://www.mozillaquest.com/News02/KDE_Kon...ng_Story01.htmlThere are also some other good articles linked at the bottom of the page.

You have a point there LilBambi .I've been on broadband too long :PRegarding tabs in Konqueror, they are there already, at least in KDE 3.1.It has the same tabs and more, sometimes I even wonder why am I not using Konqueror instead of Mozilla, but then again there is no version for Windows :)Next version of KDE, KDE3.2 due to be released soon will have merged new modified code from Apple's Safari (Apple modified Konqueror's code and made Safari - for uninformed), so all the new compatibility is going to be embedded.I can't wait to see it running and compare with Firebird.

Guest LilBambi

zox --I hear ya ... course you know I'm green over the broadband ... LOL!But being an adaptable person, I make use of what I can and wait for broadband for the rest ;)I will be very interested in hearing about all the new embedded features in KDE 3.2 when it comes out (if it is like previous versions. I will definitely wait for the dust to settle before upgrading though ... not as bad as M$ (3rd time around thing) but always good practice with anything new as you know. B)