GNU/Linux vs Linux

ichase

I wanted to post this short article by one of our members here at Scot's Newsletter Forum's and a great friend of the GNU/Linux community Guillermo Garron.

He notes a mistake that I often make (which could be considered lazy at least on my part) of refering to a Linux OS vice a GNU/Linux OS considering all of the parts that make up an opperating system are more then just the kernel.

GNU/Linux vs Linux

• Like 1

While I know that it's GNU/Linux and that I should write and say "GNU/Linux," I still continue to write and say "Linux," and it doesn't bother me at all if other folks do the same. However, ichase, the stuff in your sig needs to be changed to "Arch GNU/Linux" and "GNU/Linux Counter." :shifty:

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for linking to my post.

This should never be a flame-war, I just think is fair. But, as saturnian says, we should not get mad at others for not doing it. :).

thanks again ichase.

• Like 1

securitybreach

While I know that it's GNU/Linux and that I should write and say "GNU/Linux," I still continue to write and say "Linux," and it doesn't bother me at all if other folks do the same.

My thoughts exactly!!! Now if I were talking to RMS (Stallman), I would be sure to say GNU Linux.... B)

I was not implying my beliefs that when using the term "Linux" that it should and must be used as "GNU/Linux" I just really liked Guillermo's (for lack of a better word) "reminder" of the credit that should be awarded to the many developers and contributers to the many moving pieces that make up a GNU/Linux Operating System. ;)

Edited by ichase
  • Like 1

Makes me think of how people say "America" when they're referring to "The United States." Or, worse, "Ubuntu" instead of "Linux" (oops, I mean "GNU/Linux").

Out here in Albuquerque, there's a weird thing, someone will ask you if you want "a Coke" and then they'll say, "What kind? Sprite? Dr. Pepper? Or Pepsi?" No kidding, really happens.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

I know it's GNU Linux but I still call it Linux, just like I call Windows no matter what version Windows, and Macs, Mac regardless of the version.

Just makes speaking easier.

Makes me think of how people say "America" when they're referring to "The United States." Or, worse, "Ubuntu" instead of "Linux" (oops, I mean "GNU/Linux").

I really hate when people say America instead of United States. I remember once in Sao Paulo Airport, I met a guy from Texas, I asked him where is he from, and he said America, then he asked me the same thing, I asked him "America too", he immediately replied "which state?". I said "Bolivia", and added. "America is from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego". It was nice to see his face.

He added he was from Texas then. :) .

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

I really hate when people say America instead of United States. I remember once in Sao Paulo Airport, I met a guy from Texas, I asked him where is he from, and he said America, then he asked me the same thing, I asked him "America too", he immediately replied "which state?". I said "Bolivia", and added. "America is from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego". It was nice to see his face.

:clap2: That was great!

• Like 1

I think it is more important to acknowledge that it's GNU/Linux than to actually say it. It's also more important to introduce neophytes to the concept of open source operating systems and how capable they are than to confuse them with details.

I'm proud to say that I'm not from America or the US of A, but from the country whose golfers just BLITZED the US Open. :P ;)

I'm proud to say that I'm not from America or the US of A, but from the country whose golfers just BLITZED the US Open. :P ;)

The Masters, maybe?

V.T. Eric Layton

You're from Scotland? Oh, wait... nevermind. ;)

The Masters, maybe?

Haha, whatever. :> :) I know nothing about golf, just that they are Aussies.

Three Aussies in the Masters top 4 is some achievement.

So will this forum get a name change then ? If we get a name change to " Bruno's All Things GNU/Linux" do you think Richard Stallman will call in and post ?

:whistling:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I'd love to have Stallman come by and visit. I'd change the name if that would be what it takes to make that happen. :yes:

We'd have to start using BATG/L for nickname, though. ;)

• Like 2

securitybreach

I'd love to have Stallman come by and visit. I'd change the name if that would be what it takes to make that happen. :yes:

Indeed!! :thumbup:

We'd have to start using BATG/L for nickname, though. ;)

And there's the rub. It's clumsy to say and write. Imagine if all products used similar terminology. We'd have Ford/Bosch/Borg-Warner/Dunlop/Pioneer/etc cars, and Apple/Intel/Realtek/Foxconn/Seagate/Kingston/Marvell/etc computers! :rolleyes: :o

I have much respect for RMS, but the more I consider it, the more I think he should be honoured by the fact that Linux kernels meld with GNU utilities to make a great OS. Semantics are just fairy dust, and too much ranting against common usage is not productive.

And don't get me started on kids mangling the English language, such as using "like" in every sentence. A puppy dies every time "of" gets misused, or "its" and "it's" get confused. (Link NSFW but funny). Now get off my lawn!

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I think we should push for an evolved name for the GNU/Linux operating system. Maybe LiGNUx or GNUnix or just GNix? Yeah... GNix. I like that one. ;)

• Like 3

OffT

I am surprised by this post. I used to avoid 'America' for "USA" in the old UseNet being popular days , but stopped when residents from elsewhere just flooded me with messages to stop acting foolish and condescending. Basically, no other country in North , Central or South Americas is known to have 'America' as part of its name and non-USA'ers were not stupid enough to not realize that America was a nickname for United States of America. And the biggest complainers about my using 'USA' instead of 'America' - Mexicans!

Back OnT

i disagree that it is a slam dunk the term GNU/Linux should always be used. And Linus agrees with me :)

I am surprised by this post. I used to avoid 'America' for "USA" in the old UseNet being popular days , but stopped when residents from elsewhere just flooded me with messages to stop acting foolish and condescending. Basically, no other country in North , Central or South Americas is known to have 'America' as part of its name and non-USA'ers were not stupid enough to not realize that America was a nickname for United States of America. And the biggest complainers about my using 'USA' instead of 'America' - Mexicans!

Ugh.

I don't think that Amerigo Vespucci ever even went to North America.

Definition of AMERICA

1. either continent (North America or S. America) of the western hemisphere

2. or the Amer·i·cas the lands of the western hemisphere including North, Central, & S. America & the W. Indies

3. united states of america

http://www.merriam-w...tionary/america

But, whatever, not all "Americans" see this the same way.

Good book I read last year: Americas: The Changing Face of Latin America and the Caribbean, Peter Winn.

Think I'll write an open letter to Dr. Stallman on my blog and suggest that name. :yes:

Just read this; good stuff. Passed it along to some other folks.