Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:11 PM
Being a member of this "1%" has a lot of advantages if you ask me. Starting with the obvious and working down:
1. Safety and security - Not much chance of getting crapware and viruses. No CPU-sucking security apps. You're not joining anybody's bot army anytime soon.
2. Low cost of ownership and zero licensing problems if you reinstall. It's OK to change your hard drive or motherboard and not call home to your distro provider.
3. Performance. Flies on hardware that chokes on anything newer than XP. Doesn't slow down with age.
4. Infinite choice when it comes to desktop environment. You can have Windows 8 or Windows 2000 if you want or just about anything else in between. Or just use the console if you want.
5. You are not tied into Windows "upgrades" you may not like. For example 80% of my machines are Linux based. I have a ratty old desktop that runs XP and will for a couple of more years. I also have a laptop with Windows 7. I'll get support for that one until 2020, and I don't even need to boot it unless there's something I can't do in Linux. Let the early adopters deal with Windows 8.
6. It's fun and keeps your mind sharp. I need that as an aging retiree. The odd installer crash, X video glitch or wifi failure is part of being a Linux user, but it is satisying when you solve it and get things working.
7. The community, the community, the community. This one should probably be at the top, come to think of it.
Registered Linux User 445659
Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:13 PM
As always...One bad salad away from Sea Duty...
Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:29 PM
Comhack.com/CNI Radio/Linux User #363317/G+/Configs
"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984
Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:47 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users