GIMP 2.8 released

sunrat

Not totally Linux-oriented news but it is open source, and we don't have an "Apps" or "Graphics" forum.

GIMP 2.8 has just been released with oodles of new features and fixes. See release notes.

Also found an excellent GIMP blog - Meet the GIMP, which includes 180 ( :w00t: ) video tutorials and podcasts.

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm not at all sure that I'm liking the new GIMP. However, it may just be a case of me needing to get used to some of the changes.

Guest LilBambi

I have only installed it on my Mac so far, but I love it! :thumbup:

Sure there are things that are different, and things that are new and in new places, but overall it's just a very nice upgrade.

• 3 months later...

In case you missed it, one of my favourite new features - entry boxes now do calculations! Say you have a 3600 x 2400 px image you want to resize to 1/4 size, just enter 3600/4 in the entry box (with aspect ratio locked) and it will work out the required size.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm still felling my way around 2.8. There are two things I already don't like...

1) No more simple "save" or "save as", it seems. We have to "export" now.

2) Don't like the closing main toolbox. I always used to X that to close The GIMP before. Now it just closes the toolbox itself. :(

I'm still felling my way around 2.8. There are two things I already don't like...

1) No more simple "save" or "save as", it seems. We have to "export" now.

2) Don't like the closing main toolbox. I always used to X that to close The GIMP before. Now it just closes the toolbox itself. :(

1) This makes sense. "Save" is for native .xcf format. If you open a file of another format, it also gives you an option to overwrite it after editing. Inkscape is similar in requiring "Export".

2) Try the single window mode. I like it.

gimpscaleth.png

Guest LilBambi

Yes, I like the Single Window mode too!! (Click the image to get a larger image view for detail)

7775046156_644b04cca6_z.jpg

Thought you had a nice sized monitor Eric? What size is yours?

I only use a single monitor these days (my other one is a 19" Dell Ultra Sharpe is downstairs and in use for when we watch movies, but the one I use on my computers via KVM switch is a Dell 20" wide screen (2009WI). Works well on that. I have it full width on the monitor which is set to 1680x1050 which is apparently the highest res it will go. It's an older model, but is still a very nice monitor. The extra USB ports are very nice.

V.T. Eric Layton

It's an HP w1907. I scrimped and saved until I had the $ to buy it back in '08. It's been a great little monitor. Oh, it's a 19" - 16x9 aspect.

Guest LilBambi

Pretty close to the size of mine. I was worried you had a 17" or something like that. Mine is only an inch larger and same aspect ratio. But an inch can make a difference and resolution difference too; 1440 x 900 is your max? Still pretty nice monitor. But with being an inch smaller and best res/native/max? res being 1440x900, I can see why you would feel a bit crunched on the single view mode. If I had smaller or less res, I would use the separate panels too.

Guest LilBambi

Me too, but I want them all to pretty much match if and when I do it. Right now this is the biggest one I have and the other two are older and smaller and the 19" one is currently being use downstairs ;)

But can't blame you! My Jim has three; two on one computer (same size), and one on another (different size by a little bit). But he is often in text mode on remote computers on our network so the size and res is not as big a factor for him.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes. Your screenie had a lot of awesomeness... have to admit.

I'd be happy if I could find two more used w1907s for cheap. However, the used ones are going for what I paid for this one new 4 years ago. It's insane. :(