Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,830 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

Lessons for IT, Apple in Flashback brouhaha - Computerworld
It's clear that OS X is now a target of malware purveyors

By Ryan Faas
April 16, 2012 06:54 AM ET

While the number of Macs infected by the Flashback malware is seemingly in decline now, the security reverberations for Apple continue. The discovery of the botnet a couple of weeks ago -- and Apple's response -- has prompted criticism by IT security pros, concern among Mac users and even some smug told-you-so's from Windows users who've watched for years while Apple and its fans derided the the omnipresent malware issues plaguing PCs.

Security by obscurity, if it ever existed, is no more.

Now that Apple and several third-party software firms have produced detection and removal tools, it's time to take stock of the situation and dig a little deeper. What does the Flashback debacle mean for Mac users, Apple itself and the businesses that have increasingly adopted Macs? And does it affect those with iPads and iPhones?

Excellent and well rounded article by Ryan Faas. He doesn't pull any punches which is I think a good thing. This type of article is very important if Apple is to grow up in this malware infested world we live in. They need to be open, honest, and quick to respond. ALWAYS!

This is the type of scrutiny Microsoft had to endure when it was being foolish about malware in the beginning as well.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#2 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,064 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

microsoft is extremely serious about security, to the point of offering free support for its patch installations.

while the mac may be a small group to target, i suspect that the iphone & ipad (as their numbers grow exponentially) may soon be overwhelmed with malware threats.
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

I don't see the iOS arena being "overwhelmed."

Despite the complaints about the App Store admissions process, the code is still checked for validity. There have been zero viruses/torjans on iOS on non-jailbroken devices.

Apple will immediately reject code that is malicious or not in accordance with the App Store guidelines.

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 ONLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,830 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

iOS Safer from Malware than Android, Security Firm Says - PCWorld
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flashback, apple, mac, macos, malware, java, ryan faas, computerworld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users