What Amazon's ebook strategy means - antipope.org

amazon books ebooks publishers apple monopoly monopsony drm charlie stross disintermediation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

What Amazon's ebook strategy means - antipope.org
By Charlie Stross

It seems to me that a lot of folks in the previous discussion don't really understand quite what makes Amazon so interesting—and threatening, for that matter—to the publishing industry.
So I'm going to take a stab at explaining.

Very interesting article.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#2 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

I could have easily told publishers 5 years ago not to implement DRM for eBooks and stick to a non-DRM ePub format. Amazon wouldn't have the power they have today if they took my advice. :whistling:

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

So true, Peachy! :teehee:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#4 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

All I can say is I try to avoid Amazon.  I don't like the info they collect and then try to market to you with it.  You can find yourself on an amazon page without ever going directly to them!

-teacher
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#5 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

Totally agree about them collecting info and using it against you (to market to you things you don't want or need). Trying to get you with that impulse  buying.

They all try that if they can. But Amazon can on their own site when you look at things. Even if it's not for you! I look up stuff for others too, not just myself. I keep getting suggestions for those things like I was the one who wanted them. Very annoying.

BTW: It's great to see you teacher!! :mitch:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

that was a good read, lilbambi.
sorry i didn't post sooner, i read it just after you posted. :)
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

No worries, sometimes it happens like that for us all! :yes:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amazon, books, ebooks, publishers, apple, monopoly, monopsony, drm, charlie stross, disintermediation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users