95 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   frapper

frapper

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

I think it will be a message management nightmare. I much prefer the old standalone message format. But then I'm an old standalone guy.  >_<
Posted Image
Norm
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x3
USAF - '67-'71
Posted Image

#27 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 18,976 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

Change is not good for us older folks. I don't like the new "conversations" baloney much either. I guess I can get used to it, though.

Posted Image

Have a creepy little Halloween!

#28 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

frapper and i have a test thread going. he is able to delete any of his posts in the thread and they are gone for both of us. i am able to delete any of my posts in the thread and I assume they disappear for him also. (I haven't heard back today yet).

We will see what happens when either of us presses the large red delete button at the top.

i also have not archived a thread to see how that works either.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#29 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,521 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

That's great .. makes it easier if folks know what to expect. Maybe you can do a tip/trick about Conversations/Personal Messenger when you get it figured out? That would be great!

:sorcerer:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#30 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Discussion Deity

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:28 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 14 April 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

Change is not good for us older folks.
Agreed. For instance, Frapper looks much older in his avatar than he used to. :) I can work with most of the changes though.
I do miss the jump box at the bottom of the page. I used it a lot. Is it possible to revive it?
Also spellcheck works fine for me with no tweaking in Iceweasel 10.0.3. It even says "spellcheck" is not a word! :rolleyes:
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image MX-14
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#31 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,521 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

They removed it and replaced it with breadcrumbs both top and bottom on every page so I don't think they plan on reviving the Jump box dropdown.

Nice to know that Iceweasel didn't need to have the language dictionary reselected like the one in Firefox.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#32 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,521 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

Through the Portal page (top navigation area) we were able to sorta bring back some of the things they changed, but I have not seen a hook to bring that back yet.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#33 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,521 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Wait! It's not technically gone! Click the Open Quick Navigation icon (in the right top navigation bar, to the left of the white paintbrush) and a pop up box opens with all that. It's a bit different than we remember but it is all there and more!

BTW: There is an up arrow icon in the middle of the bottom of every page to take you to the top of the page to easily get to the quick navigation area, portal, etc.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#34 OFFLINE   frapper

frapper

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

View Postsunrat, on 16 April 2012 - 04:28 AM, said:

Agreed. For instance, Frapper looks much older in his avatar than he used to.

My old avatar was an F-4 Phantom fighter plane, circa 1965. I am older than that...older than dirt??
Posted Image
Norm
USAF - '67-'71
Posted Image

#35 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,521 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

To quote a very funny old movie, Remo Williams, The Adventure Begins:

Remo Williams: Chiun, you're incredible!
Chiun: No, I am better than that.

and later in the movie:

Remo Williams: You're incorrigible, Chiun.
Chiun: No, I'm better than than.

:w00tx100:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#36 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,012 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Well when I tried to click Like This, I got the following error:

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/Archlinux G+/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#37 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,521 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Try again, Josh. Let me know how it goes.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#38 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 18,976 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

View Postfrapper, on 16 April 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

My old avatar was an F-4 Phantom fighter plane, circa 1965. I am older than that...older than dirt??

Hey! That's what my hat says in this pic from my 50th birthday party (the black balloons and all)...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 OFFLINE   frapper

frapper

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

You were such a young punk back then, Eric!  :hysterical:
Posted Image
Norm
USAF - '67-'71
Posted Image

#40 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 18,976 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Yup. Waaaay back about 7 months ago. ;)

Posted Image

#41 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,521 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

Frapper looks dangerous wielding that ... that ... club? :blink:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#42 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Discussion Deity

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

View PostLilBambi, on 16 April 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

Wait! It's not technically gone! Click the Open Quick Navigation icon (in the right top navigation bar, to the left of the white paintbrush) and a pop up box opens with all that. It's a bit different than we remember but it is all there and more!

BTW: There is an up arrow icon in the middle of the bottom of every page to take you to the top of the page to easily get to the quick navigation area, portal, etc.
I can work with that. Thanks Fran. This new board is like playing Civilization or Starcraft - the more you look around, the more you find.
Also, are there more settings in the MySettings section now? It just occurred to me that it would be nice to have automatic notification of new posts in threads I had posted in. Looked in MySettings and voilà, it was there! Then again, maybe I never looked before.
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image MX-14
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#43 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,521 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

Awesome! Yes, it is amazing how much more there is to this new upgraded version of IP.Board forum software. And mostly it's great! A few areas I am trying to find new ways to do stuff we did differently, but for the most part, either it's moved or been renamed, or there's a Hook for something similar.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#44 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,012 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

View PostLilBambi, on 16 April 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

Try again, Josh. Let me know how it goes.
Works beautifully now :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/Archlinux G+/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#45 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,521 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Great! Glad to hear it. :thumbsup:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#46 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

Yikes! I feel like I have dropped from college level proficiency in my messaging to Kindergarten or even pre-K. This is awful. Composing posts has become so effortful that I think I'm looking at weeks before Roadie Dirk ever reappears. Sorry, I know that a lot of effort has gone into the changeover to the new format, but I don't at all care for it. Hope the new PHP at least improves security. Usability has taken a big hit IMO.

I can't get the compose window to do what I want it to do. I have even found that hitting Edit on my older posts now fails to reveal the code I used for special effects- font changes, etc. It only displays the result, it fails to reveal the code that produced that result. I'm going to have to completely relearn how to compose for this venue, probably by slow trial and error. It's like having to relearn how to walk. So far, little is making sense to me.

I know html well enough to just start composing in html- but I find that this software is not performing predictably with it. I'm unable to do much useful work, I'm instead reduced to guessing and playing trial and error while trying to learn its quirkiness. Sorry, I hate to sound so darned negative, but this change has knocked me on my butt. I just needed to blow off a little steam. Will try again later...

Also, it's disappointing to see the poorly rendered quotes and links from older posts. It all looks like a bunch of text all run together, very confusing. OK, I'm leaving for now, sorry...
Special Limited Edition Cluttermaster 2007 with direct air cooling system.
"ClutterLabs" --open hardware for open software" .......... Registered Linux User 446867

("It takes an entire village to raise a child...")
"It takes only one bulldozer to raze an entire village..."
"Hey, Mel- isn't that your kid driving that bulldozer?"

In loving memory of Bruno Knaapen of Amsterdam, who shared
his love of Linux, and thereby made the world a better place...

#47 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,521 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

We have tried to have the impact of the very drastic change from a very OLD and insecure version of the forum software, to the current version as low impact as is possible, but some things we have no control over, or very little control over.

The editor is their choice, not ours. They have gone to their own customized version of CKEditor.

Having said that, you can use the little light switch icon in the upper left corner of the first row of editor options  to turn off the WYSIWYG editor to use and see the plain text version.

As far as the old messages and quotes, yes, I think we were all disappointed by the upgrade's handling of old messages in the conversion, particularly in relation to quotes. I do plan on re-running the post rebuilder at some point soon, but it took well over 14 hrs to do it the last time, and when I have tried to run it again, it appears to really slows things down while it is going on when the forums are open. I am trying to determine a relatively good time to try to run that again while the forum is actually open (instead of closing the forums to run it) to see if it helps the quotes issue at all.

Overall, I think they have done a very good job with the new version. I do think it was certainly a shock for us to go from our old version to the new version, but it had to be done as you noted for security reasons if for nothing else.

Most of the changes have been very good changes. However, we have had to do work a rounds for some things as noted in various postings, like the addition of Portal, and the new Portal page link in the top navigation area to get some of the things we all enjoyed back such as recent postings, instead of just recently added topics which is what is shown in New Content in the upper right area of the top navigation, and in the new postings listed on under the the right side Recent Topics area of the main page. And a few other things as well.

I don't know if it will even fix the problem with the quotes, but we will try to run the rebuilding of posts again sometime soon in hopes of correcting that. There are no guarantees as we took a huge leap between our old version and the current version...

NOTE: HTML does not work in the forums. It is all BBCode.

Which has not changed from the old forum version to this one.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#48 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 18,976 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

Light switch... COOL! I hadn't even noticed it before. :)

Posted Image

#49 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostCluttermagnet, on 21 April 2012 - 02:45 AM, said:

Yikes! I feel like I have dropped from college level proficiency in my messaging to Kindergarten or even pre-K. This is awful. Composing posts has become so effortful that I think I'm looking at weeks before Roadie Dirk ever reappears. Sorry, I know that a lot of effort has gone into the changeover to the new format, but I don't at all care for it. Hope the new PHP at least improves security. Usability has taken a big hit IMO.

I understand where you're coming from.  I think its the influence of social media on not only this platform but others as well (i.e., Google Blogger underwent a change that is even worse & takes considerably more clicks to do what used to be accomplished in one click.)

Personally, I use the "quick reply" box to compose posts and then click the "More Reply Options" to preview/edit as appropriate.

As to security improvements, yes, many, many fixes to the code.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#50 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,521 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostCorrine, on 21 April 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

I understand where you're coming from.  I think its the influence of social media on not only this platform but others as well (i.e., Google Blogger underwent a change that is even worse & takes considerably more clicks to do what used to be accomplished in one click.)

Personally, I use the "quick reply" box to compose posts and then click the "More Reply Options" to preview/edit as appropriate.

As to security improvements, yes, many, many fixes to the code.

I do the same thing "quick reply' box to compose (and it may be enough for short messages), and then click the more reply options to preview and edit as necessary (very much needed for many longer posts, especially with images and or more advanced formatting, etc.).
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feedback, comments, upgrades, forum, IPB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users