4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

My friend who uses Linux I installed on his Dell desktop called me today. He said he had  no sound on his machine, even though all the applets showed that it should be there and functioning. I couldn't do much over the phone but when I got there this morning I found that the sound settings showed no sound hardware available at all. This was with Mandriva 2010.2. The speaker tab showed "Dummy Speaker Output." Not a good sign.
I was going to attempt an update and reconfigure but the Mandriva Control Center would not launch at all. I managed to update using the terminal but I still had no Configure Your Computer option. Difficult to configure without the tools.
So I had to inform my friend that his system was somehow hopelessly borked. The only solution in sight was Eric's "Big Hammer" approach.
Brought the computer box home and after backing up my friend's data I did a fresh install of Mageia 1.0 to replace Mandriva 2010.2. Then after updates and reinstall of his data and favorite apps I took the box back to my friend's house and set up his printer again. Total time about 5 hours. I was lucky that this older machine does have a DVD-ROM so the install went pretty fast from a DVD.
So my friend got an unintended upgrade and his sound is now working again. I suspect it was some sort of PulseAudio glitch or a botched update on his part that caused the whole mess.

Edited by raymac46, 06 April 2012 - 06:58 PM.

Registered Linux User 445659

#2 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Posting Prodigy

• Forum MVP
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Yay!

Finally, someone, somewhere got to use the nuclear option.

This will definitely make vtel very happy! hysterical.gif

https://www.box.com/shared/static/c96d448df234c41b86db.jpg
(hint: it's a big party favor)

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#3 OFFLINE   ichase

ichase

Chasing the Penguin

• Forum MVP
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

Awesome pic Amenditman.  Makes for a cool background.

Ian Chase

Try Parted Magic The must have tool for any linux user's tool box.  (Contains Gparted, wifi support, Clonezilla, SuperGrubDisk/2, plop bootloader and more!!!)
CNI Radio

"I'm in repair.............I'm not together, but I'm getting there"
- John Mayer

Registered Linux User:  526317 10/22/2010
  Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Posting Prodigy

• Forum MVP
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (ichase @ Apr 7 2012, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome pic Amenditman.  Makes for a cool background.

Very nice, ichase.
I use it as a wallpaper for my HP TouchPad. Appropriate, don't you think, Leo? hysterical.gif

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#5 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

1.  lol @ "unintended upgrade" - lol because i've had that happen to me... laugh.gif
2.  super wall paper!  nuke em till they glow... (which doesn't take much.) ohmy.gif
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users