#1 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,037 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

whoa! how cool is this!

this month's "linux journal" has a way-cool article on the
suse-linux watson ibm super computer used to defeat jeopardy players!
and
its administrator is interviewed - he lists all the cool stuff used to run it!

here's a u-tube link to the presentation during the 2011 linux admins conf (lisa)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x8Jt4Dq2TA&lr=1
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,633 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Very cool thumbsup.gif

I received an email offering me the pdf version of the current issue for free. I have downloaded it but have not taken the time to read it yet.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,037 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (securitybreach @ Apr 2 2012, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I received an email offering me the pdf version of the current issue for free. I have downloaded it ...

me too!  i really ought to subscribe...
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   burninbush

burninbush

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE (Temmu @ Apr 2 2012, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
me too!  i really ought to subscribe...

That is an outstanding video.  I'm always amazed by seeing projects as big as that.  And you don't often hear people using words like "prosody" when talking about a computer.  

I heard Watson discussed on an NPR program a while back, included a bit I thought was funny; one place where Watson was very superior to any human was in hitting the buzzer when it had finally got it's answer together, nearly zero delay -- whereas humans at the same juncture lose 30 - 50 milliseconds getting their finger to actually push the button after their brain sends that message.  

Do we know anything about why they chose Suse linux?  I've never quite got why people choose one distro over another -- they're all much more alike than different, to the extent that the choice might turn on features like whether or not it resolves dependencies smoothly.  I've played with Suse, but find PCL or any Debian to be much easier to configure.

Edited by burninbush, 03 April 2012 - 02:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users