looking for new KDE distro...

kamicota

Hi All just like the top PROMOTION in Scots newsletter--->>>

http://www.lifepixel.com/?gclid=CPDfvMXij68CFWgbQgodbSo61Q

That Has also been the UNUSUAL turn in My Photography SO has or is a NEW KDE Distro destined for the AMD -

For some reason Chakra comes to mind as PCLinuxOS 2012 is giving palpitations - BEST left unexplained

Any ideas before the Downloading frenzy starts :"> :"> :"> :"> :hysterical: WOULD lobve some NEW ideas

Cheers for years

Colin

Edited by kamicota

OOPS!!! Eric

On a quick LOOK Chakra is NOT an installable LIVE CD :w00t:

So will take a better look trying to consider - EASE of installation (Pclos style etc) - and synaptic like updater

AND THANK you SO much :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers for years

Colin

Edited by kamicota

@ Kamicota ... I wonder if you have considered Porteus -1.2 rev? I have been very happy with the 64-bit version here. It's about a 300mb live cd, normally uses a recent version of kde4, but also has LXDE and (I think) Xfce and a couple more gui's. Once running, it's essentially slack-64-13.37.

Installing it is just a matter of copying two subdirs off the cd into a formatted partition, and then editing your grub [or other] boot config file. Believe the cd includes a menu item to make an install grub bootable if needed. Adding modules to it is just a matter of downloading them into a subdirectory, and then a reboot will make them permanent -- unless you want to uninstall, in which case you just delete the one module file and it's gone.

BB & AB

BB

Am so used with PCLinux type of install have never modified grub or anything else and that leaves me a little wary of venturing into Porteus

AB

See you also have front and center "ARCH" and never did get the hang of installing it :"> :"> :">

Cheers for Years

Colin

Mint KDE Edition has KDE 4.7.4. Mepis is also good but ships with the older KDE 4.5. KDE is better since 4.6, but Mepis is very stable and friendly.

Also Siduction may be worth a look.

These all have live installable CD/DVDs.

Well

It looks as if Win 7 solved the problem for me --->>>

Got a virus that would not let me connect to the internet at all and could not remove it.

So it was bybyes Linux & Wn 7

After Win 7 set up - Looked through all the Linux recent Distros that had been download and got a NUDGE ti install - PCLinuxOS LXDE and right now am so happy with it .

So for now we can get back to Color IR Photgraphy , Painting Abstracts and see where they lead

Just as a sideline found that Linux RAW programs worked better than Photoshop raw (it made all my raw images purple.)

So reverted to jpeg on the Canon G6 but will obviously explore raw again

Cheers for Years

Colin

AB

See you also have front and center "ARCH" and never did get the hang of installing it

Bit puzzle here.

Arch installed ok both times I tried and dual booted with Windows 7 on the first try.I am not dual booting from grub this time as Windows 7 is in a RAID 0 array and I have not got around to trying dual boot with this configuration yet.

Had some problems with E17 and add on audio card but mostly smooth running.

B)

OOOPPPSSS!! :"> AB

Guess I was not too clear eh??? -

Just meant I never did get Arch installed - the twice I tried.

Cheers for years

Colin