4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

Hi all!
I downloaded the latest Ubuntu (Development Release: Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1) thinking about installing it on my machine.
Before burning it ( the shasum is good ) I thought I would look at it in Vbox in PCLinuxOS Zen.
At first I gave it only 512 Mb of RAM (default) but I get the following message;
CODE
This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU;pae.
Unable to boot - Please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

so I went on Wikipedia and found the following;
In computing, Physical Address Extension (PAE) is a feature to allow (32-bit) x86 processors to access a physical address space (including random access memory and memory mapped devices) larger than 4 gigabytes
Then I gave the Vbox machine 1 Gb of RAM and I got the same message. So instead of installing the Vbox machine on my big 500 GB partition (sdb10) which is ntfs I put it in the /home/rejean/.VirtualBox/Machines folder with the same result.
Does it mean that;
1. I cannot run Ubuntu in Vbox
or 2. there is no point in burning the .iso image and trying to install it on my machine? My motherboard is a ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 btw.

Edited by réjean, 17 March 2012 - 01:50 PM.

registered linux user #374889

#2 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

What version of Ubuntu did you download, x86, x86_64, AMD64, etc.?

What cpu does your computer have in it, Intel ? AMD ? and specifically which model?

As far as the virtual machine, in VBox, did you tell it what version of Ubuntu you were going to run when you set it up? I think that you have to tell it the correct architecture (cpu, kernel) during the first step of the set up.
Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.  L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)
Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

The HeliOS Project  -  B.O.D.
A Child's Exposure to Technology Should Never Be
  Predicated On The Ability To Afford It

#3 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

I downloaded the 'ubuntu-12.04-beta1-desktop-i386.iso' version.
According to the motherboard book the CPU would be LGA 775 for Intel Core 2 Extreme but in the Control Centre I see;  ‎Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz.
I may have found the solution thanks to you;

Yep! It seems that it will work. I'll let you know. I have to go outside and take advantage of a sunny afternoon to do some garden preparation.
Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

I never had to make such a change in Vbox before but 'Enabling the PAE/NX' worked.

Thanks Bob!

Edited by réjean, 17 March 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 14,382 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (réjean @ Mar 17 2012, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never had to make such a change in Vbox before but 'Enabling the PAE/NX' worked.

Thanks Bob!

thumbsup.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
Comhack.com/CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users