• 16,085 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Archlinux!!!!!

It seems that Archlinux is 10 years old today:
Initial release March 11, 2002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_Linux
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/Archlinux G+/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#2 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

Very cool! thumbsup.gif
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#3 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Posting Prodigy

• Forum MVP
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

I invoke Universal Celebrations!!! thumbsup.gif

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#4 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,016 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Wow! This is my dad's birthday, too. COOL! smile.gif

Posted Image

Have a creepy little Halloween!

#5 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

Some more info:
Happy Birthday Arch Linux!

Ten years ago Judd Vinet released the first public version of Arch Linux. Allan, Pierre, Ionuț and Andrea has already post their Arch Linux history. Inspired by them I will try to tell my history, as far as I can remember it.

I can't really member the exact time when I switched to Arch Linux. I can remember that Andreas (andyrtr) first told me about Arch, we were working together for the Mandriva user community and provided packages which wasn't in the official repositories. Then Andreas switched to Arch64 and after some time I followed him to support Arch64 and I'm starting to rebuild packages for the Arch64 repository. After the Arch64 project was getting official to be integrated as a supported architecture, I didn't start as a maintainer from the start. Some weeks or month later (I can't remember) Andreas supported me to become an official Arch Linux developer for the x86_64 architecture. That was my beginning in the Arch Linux developer team.

I have only some few time stamps, which I can really proof:

2005-10-06 Registered at Arch Linux Forum
2006-09-26 First assigned bug (FS#5451 - userui hook doesn't honour FBRES)
2006-11-19 Access to the Arch Linux developer mailing list
2007-08-26 First meetup of some developers at FrOSCon.
2009-08-26 We met again at FrOSCon.

Now I'm the Mono maintainer of Arch Linux, I have also some other packages, but the most packages has something to do with Mono.

I'm really proud to be part of this great community. Keep rolling Arch Linux!

http://planet.archlinux.org/

And some more history with links: https://pierre-schmitz.com/arch-before-it-was-cool/

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#7 OFFLINE   ichase

ichase

Chasing the Penguin

• Forum MVP
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (amenditman @ Mar 11 2012, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I invoke Universal Celebrations!!! thumbsup.gif

I agree with amenditman.  I go one further to request a world holiday that will always fall on the 2nd Monday of March where all people will come together regardless of religous or political views and unite in celebration of Arch Linux.   Maybe that is going a little far huh?  Come on.........I'm an Arch Linux Fan!!!!!!!!!!!   smile.gif

"Ian.....Get to work"   "Ahhhhhh no.....Sorry boss......It's Arch day.   I don't work on Arch day....And neither should you."  hysterical.gif

Ian Chase

Try Parted Magic The must have tool for any linux user's tool box.  (Contains Gparted, wifi support, Clonezilla, SuperGrubDisk/2, plop bootloader and more!!!)
CNI Radio

"I'm in repair.............I'm not together, but I'm getting there"
- John Mayer

Registered Linux User:  526317 10/22/2010
  Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (ichase @ Mar 12 2012, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Ian.....Get to work"   "Ahhhhhh no.....Sorry boss......It's Arch day.   I don't work on Arch day....And neither should you."  hysterical.gif

hysterical.gif hysterical.gif  cool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users