which distro

réjean

Hi all!

My wife told me that her sister has a newer machine that came with Linux and that I could help her.

Where should I start? I thought about running the same thing in Vbox or VMWare or if I have an old live CD but how do we find out what she is running. Right now, I know how to find it in PCLinuxOS Gnome but here in OpenSUSE ( Gnome also ) I don't have a clue. I'll check in Mageia and in PCLinuxOS Phoenix but is there a terminal command that she could use?

Edited by réjean

V.T. Eric Layton

$ cat /etc/*version

This will work with some distributions.

If she's done nothing to the computer, just the boot up menu or login screen will most likely say whatever GNU/Linux it is... Ubuntu, Mint, etc.

$ cat /etc/*version

This will work with some distributions.

If she's done nothing to the computer, just the boot up menu or login screen will most likely say whatever GNU/Linux it is... Ubuntu, Mint, etc.

I'll see when we start emailing but like you say I figure that she could at least tell me that much and then I can try your command which doesn't work here in OpenSuSE.

I figure there is a very good chance that she'll have a Ubuntu or Kubuntu and I have found a good tutorial if it is the case.

starting here

Works well here in Mageia;

[rejean@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/issue
Mageia release 1 (Official) for i586
Kernel 2.6.38.8-desktop-10.mga on a Dual-processor i686 / \l
[rejean@localhost ~]$

Thanks Josh. It is a lot simpler than looking into the Help->About, which sometimes tell me the Nautilus version, other times the Gnome.

Here in PCLinux;

[rejean@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/issue
ZEN-mini release 2011 (PCLinuxOS) for i586
Kernel 2.6.38.8-pclos3.bfs on a Dual-processor i686 / \l

and I found another hidden in some of my notes;

[rejean@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/*-release
LSB_VERSION=lsb-3.1-ia32:lsb-3.1-noarch
DISTRIB_ID=ZEN-mini
DISTRIB_RELEASE=
DISTRIB_CODENAME=
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="ZEN-mini"
[rejean@localhost ~]$

which might be more what Eric had in mind.

Edited by réjean

securitybreach

Yup that one works too:

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 02:03 PM 
╚═══ ~-> cat /etc/*-release
Arch Linux release
DISTRIB_ID=archlinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=rolling
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Arch Linux"

V.T. Eric Layton

I had forgotten about "issue" and "*release". I'm so used to using "*version" in Slackware-based distros. ;)

As long as my sister-in-law can tell me what she is using it's fine with me. In the meantime;

rejean@linux-e31f4vl9m:~> cat /etc/issue
Welcome to openSUSE 12.1 "Asparagus" - Kernel \r (\l)..
rejean@linux-e31f4vl9m:~> cat /etc/*-release
NAME=openSUSE
VERSION = 12.1 (Asparagus)
VERSION_ID="12.1"
PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE 12.1 (Asparagus) (x86_64)"
ID=opensuse
openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64)
VERSION = 12.1
CODENAME = Asparagus

I like the code name since we do grow asparagus ourselves.

Edited by réjean

And you really eat those things? Really? That'll get you to the can every 15 minutes or so for the next two hours to come...

You may be thinking of canned asparagus but if you had a chance to taste some fresh, organic ones sauteed in butter for no more than a minute then dusted over with parmesan cheese and grilled for another few minutes you would think differently.

V.T. Eric Layton
You may be thinking of canned asparagus but if you had a chance to taste some fresh, organic ones sauteed in butter for no more than a minute then dusted over with parmesan cheese and grilled for another few minutes you would think differently.

That almost sound tasty. :)

Smacking my lips. I call dibs on striker's and Eric's unwanted asparagus because I love it. The season is so short so it isn't a veggie I eat much of.

About the only veggie I rarely eat is Brussels sprouts because I'm gassy the rest of the day. Iy just doesn't like me. My late roommate sauteed some Brussel sprouts in garlic butter and I ate 3 helpings!!! Saute anything in garlic butter and I'll probably eat it. :hysterical:

So how did we get from an unknown linux distro to a discussion of veggies?

Asparagus ROCKS! We have a small patch that's been serving us well, no pun intended, for ten years. We eat what we can and freeze the rest.

About the only veggie I rarely eat is Brussels sprouts because I'm gassy the rest of the day. Iy just doesn't like me. My late roommate sauteed some Brussel sprouts in garlic butter and I ate 3 helpings!!! Saute anything in garlic butter and I'll probably eat it. :hysterical:

So how did we get from an unknown linux distro to a discussion of veggies?

When you cook those sprouts cook 'm with some little onion parts in it, that'll take out the gas.