322 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

I am old enough to remember when Radio Shack would have done something like this in the USA.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#2 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 10,967 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:50 AM

radio shack could have dominated the global pc market.  they had the distribution chain for it, and were arguably the electronics store to go to for parts, projects, speakers, et al.
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

After 6 months of development, Arch Linux ARM for Raspberry Pi is finally ready. Coming mere days after the sell-out launch of the tiny computer, Arch Linux ARM is the second operating system to be officially approved by the Raspberry Pi Foundation. Eben Upton, foundation trustee, wrote about the release on the Raspberry Pi website:

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/news/raspberry-...ets-arch-linux/

By gum the arch folk move fast  thumbsup.gif
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Admins
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Fedora already has a port for Raspberry Pi. I'm on the notification list for the next batch of pre-orders. Too bad I can only order one device.
'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog
del.icio.us bookmarks

#5 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (Peachy @ Mar 6 2012, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fedora already has a port for Raspberry Pi. I'm on the notification list for the next batch of pre-orders. Too bad I can only order one device.

Premier Farnell and RS Components and both partners are taking preorders, or expressions of interest,

I registered at both sites so I might get two.  whistling.gif
Install ARCH

#6 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (Peachy @ Mar 6 2012, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Already got mine ordered.  Due for delivery April 3rd.  I knew it was going to be highly unlikely that I was going to get one of the first 10K even though I had the site up an hour before the announce time of midnight my time.  The site went down even before that time due to the number of hits.

Good thing they had a plan B with the two marketing firms but even their sites got bogged down the first couple of days.  I was lucky enough (and persistent enough) to get through to Newark the first day and at least register.  Got an email from them then next day and placed my order.  Anyone ordering now is facing a May to June delivery.

I'm really curious to see just how many they sell in the first week and how much interest will be sustained over the coming month.

As to the Fedora vs Arch vs Debian, I'm going to have an SD card for each!!   hysterical.gif thumbsup.gif  One of the nice things about this little board is that you don't have to worry about multi-booting.  The SD card are cheap enough to have one for each OS.  Or even use one SD card and store images of each OS on your "other" computer with that great big HDD. rolleyes.gif

Let the fun begin!!! thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

#7 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (abarbarian @ Mar 6 2012, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I registered at both sites so I might get two.  whistling.gif

Hmm!!  Come to think of it, I registered at both sites too.  Got an email from the other site but ignored it 'cause I'd already ordered from Newark.  I'll have to dig it up and see if I can order a second one from them.  I doubt they're checking with each other on who has ordered.  And the "one per customer" limit should be off anyway for the May/June delivery.  They should have the supply problem solved by then.

#8 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

Win a Raspberry Pie thumbsup.gif
Install ARCH

#9 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 14,380 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Man you are lucky Lewmur  drooling.gif

Hopefully I can one soon. cool.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
Comhack.com/CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#10 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (securitybreach @ Mar 6 2012, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man you are lucky Lewmur  drooling.gif

Well, my luck is holding so far.  I've survived three different bouts with cancer. thumbsup.gif

#11 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 14,380 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (lewmur @ Mar 7 2012, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, my luck is holding so far.  I've survived three different bouts with cancer. thumbsup.gif

Wow, your like a superhero  zorro.gif

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#12 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/746
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

3D-print your own Raspberry Pi case at home

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-573909...i-case-at-home/

biggrin.gif
Install ARCH

#14 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Admins
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

We have a couple of 3D printers at work. I'm hoping we'll be able to get a chance to print this. I ordered mine on Wednesday evening and received a notice it will ship by April 3. Wicked!  thumbsup.gif
'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog
del.icio.us bookmarks

#15 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum Admins
  • 8,540 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

Aww...... sad.gif

I want one!

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 14,380 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Manufacturing hiccup
Posted on March 8, 2012 by liz
It’s inevitable, isn’t it – you’re freewheeling along perfectly happily and then you get a puncture.

As you’ll have noticed, there’s been a bit of a delay in shipping the first batch of Raspberry Pis out to people. This is because of a hardware parts substitution that was made in the factory by accident: specifically, where we’d specified jacks with integrated magnetics in the BOM and schematics, the factory soldered in non-magnetic jacks. No magnetics means no network connection. We’ve known about this for four days now, but we haven’t been able to tell you about it because it meant we had to do some further tests to make sure that nothing else was affected.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/781

Darn, I was going to order one Wednesday thumbdown.gif

#17 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE (securitybreach @ Mar 11 2012, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/781

Darn, I was going to order one Wednesday thumbdown.gif
What does this "old news" have to do with ordering one "Wednesday"?  This only has a bearing on those who actually were able to get one of the original 10k.  And then only by a couple of days.  If you were to order one this coming Wednesday, your expected delivery date would be some time in the May/June time frame and that "hiccup" wouldn't have any bearing on it.

#18 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (Peachy @ Mar 9 2012, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have a couple of 3D printers at work. I'm hoping we'll be able to get a chance to print this. I ordered mine on Wednesday evening and received a notice it will ship by April 3. Wicked!  thumbsup.gif

I'll buy you a pint or two down the pub if you print of an extra one and post it to me  thumbsup.gif
Install ARCH

#19 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 14,380 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (lewmur @ Mar 12 2012, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What does this "old news" have to do with ordering one "Wednesday"?  This only has a bearing on those who actually were able to get one of the original 10k.  And then only by a couple of days.  If you were to order one this coming Wednesday, your expected delivery date would be some time in the May/June time frame and that "hiccup" wouldn't have any bearing on it.

Ah ok, that makes sense.  thumbsup.gif

I am very impatient so I think I will wait a bit before I order as that time frame is too far away for me. There are other things I am eyeing right now. I am an early adopter but preordering or waiting in line is kind of silly in my opinion. I mean the device is neat but there are other things I am eyeing right now that I could receive within a few days. When these devices become available at a normal shipping time frame, I will buy a couple of them. Until then, there are lots of other things I can buy. cool.gif

#20 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (securitybreach @ Mar 12 2012, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah ok, that makes sense.  thumbsup.gif

I am very impatient so I think I will wait a bit before I order as that time frame is too far away for me. There are other things I am eyeing right now. I am an early adopter but preordering or waiting in line is kind of silly in my opinion. I mean the device is neat but there are other things I am eyeing right now that I could receive within a few days. When these devices become available at a normal shipping time frame, I will buy a couple of them. Until then, there are lots of other things I can buy. cool.gif

It's not like they're taking your money now for something you won't get for a couple of months.  They won't debit your CC until they actually ship the unit.  And they'll let you know ahead of time when that will be.  I think it will be some time, say the fall, before they will be available to order from current stock.

#21 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 14,380 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for the info Lewmur thumbup.gif

#22 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

For anyone waiting for a Pi to arrive, and it could be a long wait. There is always this alternative  hysterical.gif

A Pi in name only
Install ARCH

#23 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum Admins
  • 8,540 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

Wow.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 10,967 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

~that~ is so sad.
Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Admins
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

I check the status on my order on Thursday. Shipping won't occur before August 16!!!!
My Flickr Photo Blog
del.icio.us bookmarks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users