• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

adobe flash, that wretched piece of spyware/malware fixes your file system so that its files =cannot= be deleted!

how?  by exceeding the file-path-length that most software expects (usually 255+ characters.)
(most file systems support ludicrously deep (long) paths, far in excess of what programs do.)

sample:  ...\username\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\T8JWZXM6\static.photo.walgreens.com\MD5=13e771bfc59e31772662c250d3eae4fa\default\swf\v4_0\platform\bin\com\snapfish\modules\controllers\something\something\something
(the sample was truncated by deletion, and was surely far longer than this.)

how to fix? rename the deepest folder name to "1" or some other character, rename the one above it likewise to "1" and eventually you'll be able to delete the whole path.

more info:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081 - file deletion tips (very good read)

enjoy!
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   frapper

frapper

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

Apparently it doesn't apply to Win7? Or does it? I'm running Win7.

System Tip -- This article applies to a different version of Windows than the one you are using. Content in this article may not be relevant to you. Visit the Windows 7 Solution Center

To continue receiving security updates for Windows, make sure you're running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3).

Posted Image
Norm
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x3
USAF - '67-'71
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,303 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

Temmu, what is the link for the Adobe flash information that files can not be deleted? I want to read about this third thing.

I use an addon called BetterPrivacy that takes care of LSO.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Adobe changed the Settings Manager.  For LSO, see Website Storage Settings panel.  I suggest reviewing all of the Flash Player settings at that site.

In addition to Better Privacy, there are others.  Scroll down to Flash Cookies in my article from last year:  Data Privacy.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#5 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 17,137 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (zlim @ Feb 23 2012, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use an addon called BetterPrivacy that takes care of LSO.

Same here. smile.gif
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

what if you are deleting user information stored on a server?
"magic folders"(1) are redirect-able to a server.  in such case, the tool won't know where to look(?)

the kb article works for any windows. just take its principles.

i think it may not be flash per se, but certain companies who use flash and wish their tracking info to be difficult to eradicate

note
1 - magic folder - any folder in windows that can live other places besides where you see it on the hard drive... like c:\users\username or c:\documents and settings\username
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (Temmu @ Feb 23 2012, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
note
1 - magic folder - any folder in windows that can live other places besides where you see it on the hard drive... like c:\users\username or c:\documents and settings\username

I don't know why you keep using the term "magic folders" when referring to user profile directory.  Your proclivity to use this term is.... a tad bit weird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users