#1 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

Now to find another "non-tracking" search engine pinch.gif

Scroogle - a not-for-profit search engine that offered users something of a pro-privacy antidote to Google - has been killed off by its creator.

Daniel Brandt called it quits after his servers were repeatedly targeted by DDoS attacks on Scroogle.

As we reported last week, the website was out of action and displaying a message during the most recent outage that blamed Google for "temporarily blocking" Scroogle's server.

It turns out the site, which routinely scraped the Chocolate Factory's search results for the best part of a decade, has been closed down by Brandt.

The final nail in the coffin came not because of action take by Google to once again attempt to banish the site from the interwebs, but due to the number of DDoS attacks that hit Scroogle, rendering the site utterly useless.

“Scroogle.org is gone forever,” Brandt told BetaBeat.

Register article.
Mac
"Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks,
it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#2 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,522 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

Each of the following have a settings page, where you can turn on https and other options regarding look, feel and privacy:

DuckDuckGo - click on the main duck icon (takes you to the about DuckDuckGo page), then in the bar across the top click on More dropdown button, choose settings, particularly https by default and other very nice options. You can save the settings and/or copy the url after your settings have been adjusted to your liking

StartPage - click settings upper right of the main page
IXquick -  click settings upper right of the main page
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#3 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Board Bigwig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (mac @ Feb 23 2012, 05:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now to find another "non-tracking" search engine pinch.gif

Register article.

bummer sad.gif
which group would have wanted to DDoS them all the time hmm.gif  or was it more like their service was being programitcally used by the badguys so much that others couldn't get in?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#4 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,522 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Gee, I wonder ... a DDoS on Scroogle? Who/what would benefit from wiping Scroogle off the face of the planet...

Maybe Scroogle wasn't paying for the content so Google cut them off?
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#5 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

What a shame - I was starting to like Scroogle.  I bet you anything the evilness that has permeated Google is behind this.  Just my theory of course.

Mac - why don't you try DuckDuckGo a try?  Search results are pretty decent and the site owner claims that they don't track like Google does.

#6 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (LilBambi @ Feb 23 2012, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gee, I wonder ... a DDoS on Scroogle? Who/what would benefit from wiping Scroogle off the face of the planet...

Maybe Scroogle wasn't paying for the content so Google cut them off?

i too wonder at that - why would script kiddies or other hackers doo doo on scroogle?  
scroogle seems more on the side of libertarians, making them kin to those folks, not their enemies.
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

Tushman and Fran, thanks for the suggestion of DuckDuckGo. thumbsup.gif  The privacy options look very good.
Mac
"Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks,
it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#8 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,522 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (mac @ Feb 24 2012, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tushman and Fran, thanks for the suggestion of DuckDuckGo. thumbsup.gif  The privacy options look very good.

Thought you might like them. I was highly impressed with DDG.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (LilBambi @ Feb 24 2012, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thought you might like them. I was highly impressed with DDG.

Sorry Fran, didn't see your previous post mentioning DDG.

#10 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,522 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (Tushman @ Feb 24 2012, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry Fran, didn't see your previous post mentioning DDG.

No worries. Great confirmation of how good DDG is.  thumbsup.gif
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users