• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

There's some major changes coming to SkyDrive.  For those not planning on upgrading to Windows 8, the features are also being ported to Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Here's the Building Windows 8 post:  Connecting your apps, files, PCs and devices to the cloud with SkyDrive and Windows 8.

Paul Thurrott has an in depth article here:  Windows 8 + SkyDrive
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#2 ONLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

More on Sky Drive changes:  No PC to PC sync in new SkyDrive | LiveSide.net
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#3 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,674 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

i fear storing anything on the internet, or granting anything access to my computing equipment.
why?
perhaps the service or company goes away.
perhaps the stored materials are viewed, scanned, snooped, whatever.
i don't do anything illicit, so why should "they" want to look at my stuff?
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,232 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hmmm, interesting. SkyDrive may always be online, but people may not be.

Wonder how that gets handled? Someone works on a file offline, and when they can finally get online, all their work is overwritten with the online file that someone else had been working on at the same time? Not a situation that comes up often, but very likely will if someone is on the road in an area without great connections...like in a valley like New River Gorge, WVa or something like that where they might work on something but not be able to sync it back till they leave.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#5 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,674 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

one would hope that you would get this message box:
- keep the copy on your pc (delete skydrive)
- keep the skydrive copy (delete pc copy)
- keep both

fortunately, that's how win 7 & ms office do it

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

Cloud computing is gaining some momentum to be sure.  From the Windows 8 blog, here's a snippet that is worth highlighting.

Fetching files through SkyDrive.com

"...we built a new feature that allows you to 'reach across' the Internet to access any file, stream videos, or view photo albums from a remote PC that is running SkyDrive on the desktop. For any remote folder or file, you can also choose to 'copy to SkyDrive,' so that you'll always have it across your devices."

On a related note, do any of you remember that Microsoft commercial where the mother is trying to get a nice photo of her family in the living room and none of them seem to be cooperating well?  And finally she gives up and says "to the cloud...".  She ends up photoshopping some different photos together. The commercial lacked punch and failed miserably in driving home the point. I never fully understood what the message was.  (It always amazes me that a company with such deep pockets could fail so miserably with their TV commercials. Talk about fail).

Some two years ago when that commercial was running, cloud computing was just beginning to gain some exposure in the IT world.  Now with Windows 8 / Skydrive on the horizon - we can see some practical applications for the average user.

Edited by Tushman, 26 February 2012 - 11:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users