13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,873 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

well, i'll try to get a response here.

with mountain lion arguably including (or becoming) ios, isn't it obvious that windows 8 is becoming windows mobile, or it's phone os?

mountain lion fully explains win 8, to me at least.

anyone??
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

I see Mountain Lion as adding in a few more features from iOS. Do I think OSX will become iOS? I don't think that will happen.... a computer is still going to be a computer, especially for those who do deep level Photoshop, page layout, or movie editing work. I really don't see that type of thing going away.

OSX is still very powerful compared to iOS.

I think Apple is taking some of the features from iOS and porting them into OSX, in an attempt to unify the experience.

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,873 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

agreed.
and i think that's what win 8 is doing.
both mac and win moving in same direction.
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,522 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

Certainly, OS X can benefit from some features/programs iOS has, but thankfully, at least so far, OS X is still going to be for those who still really need a powerful OS to get work done.

But iOS for many will be all they need; as in iPad mainly, which can take the place of a laptop for many folks who just need email, surfing, music, gaming, and things like facebook and twitter, etc.

There are some great things that I would love to see ported to OS X through the App Store; iBooks is one but there are many others (mainly games and specialty apps that would work really well on OS X).

I am glad that Apple is still giving people the choice on OS X how they wish to handle installations; App Store only, App Store and Chosen Developers (I would like to choose those developers, btw, as well as have the list, and they give that ability too apparently), and everything which could present problems like Windows deals with now.

I think there will be kinks ... and I hope those can be worked out amicably. I do not wish to be restricted in what I choose to run on my system. I use many Open Source programs and will continue to do so.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#5 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,873 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

choice is good. smile.gif
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

And so far, Apple has not removed that option of choice. Do I see OSX and iOS possibly merging someday? I think it would be possible, but a lot of things would have to be built into iOS, and the mobile hardware would need to mature somewhat. It could happen, but I don't see it anytime soon. There is still a strong role for general purpose computing these days, and OSX provides that. iOS is not there yet for sure.

Adam

#7 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,522 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

Agreed, Adam. happy62.gif
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#8 OFFLINE   bjf123

bjf123

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

For a lot of Mac users, having OS X morph into iOS would be all they really need.  However, there are still plenty of power users who need all the choices and options available in a full computer OS.  It will be interesting to see how Apple sets it up to allow for both within one OS.
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

#9 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,522 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (bjf123 @ Feb 25 2012, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For a lot of Mac users, having OS X morph into iOS would be all they really need.  However, there are still plenty of power users who need all the choices and options available in a full computer OS.  It will be interesting to see how Apple sets it up to allow for both within one OS.

bold highlight mine wink.gif

Yes!!!  thumbsup.gif
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

I think OSX could end up being a bit like linux. When you power up, you would essentially have a choice- the OSX interface for general computing, or the iOS interface for media consumption and basic tasks.

Granted, I bet Apple would come up with a clever way to do it, like having an iPad dock to a macbook pro type keyboard and such. When it is docked, it is a full fledged computer, when undocked, more like a tradition iOS device. That would be really cool.

Of course, the inclusion of iOS features could just be that- adding some nice features from iOS to OSX.

smile.gif

Adam

#11 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,522 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (ross549 @ Feb 26 2012, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think OSX could end up being a bit like linux. When you power up, you would essentially have a choice- the OSX interface for general computing, or the iOS interface for media consumption and basic tasks.

Granted, I bet Apple would come up with a clever way to do it, like having an iPad dock to a macbook pro type keyboard and such. When it is docked, it is a full fledged computer, when undocked, more like a tradition iOS device. That would be really cool.

Of course, the inclusion of iOS features could just be that- adding some nice features from iOS to OSX.

smile.gif

Adam

I hope that the inclusion of iOS features is just that - adding some very nice features to OS X. Definitely.

Either, way, user choice will be very important.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE (LilBambi @ Feb 26 2012, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope that the inclusion of iOS features is just that - adding some very nice features to OS X. Definitely.

Either, way, user choice will be very important.

Sadly, though, I think Apple is going the "computer as an appliance" route. Microsoft is not far behind. I think the whole market will eventually move in that direction.

Adam

#13 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,522 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Yes, when control of users can be obtained under the guise of providing 'help' for users and/or protecting users, especially children .... you could be count on it being done. We have history to prove that sadly...
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Technology is moving in this direction, and has been for some time. Who fixes TVs anymore? You used to be able to replace components on a TV, and that is simply not possible any more. How many components do we fix in a computer? I say this is the way things are moving. Eventually, it will simply be an appliance.

Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users