11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

i am about done with i.e. 9.  
why?  ie 9 does not render sites well -usually missing pieces.

back to firefox. sad.gif  sorry, microsoft, you may have had a security hit, but it's a rendering flop!

anyone else??
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

As I said at LzD, that isn't IE9's fault.  Try compatibility view in IE9.  See Why are some webpages blank or incorrectly displayed in Internet Explorer 9?
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#3 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

If I have to use IE for some weird reason, I make sure I have compatibility view enabled so it renders more properly. But I totally understand Temmu's thoughts. I gave up on IE years ago!

It used to be that folks were designing more for IE, but I think they are waking up and creating them more as standards compliant now instead of favoring IE over other browsers. Now IE begins to suffer the same issues other browsers had when developers were favoring IE.

Funny how that works LOL!

BTW: IE has gotten much better at standards compliant too...just not enough yet.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#4 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Windows 7 keeps hustling me to install it but I won't and just have IE8 but I have never even used that on this install either. All the sites I need to use work just fine with FF on Iron so I just can not be bothered.  cool.gif
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (abarbarian @ Feb 19 2012, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Windows 7 keeps hustling me to install it but I won't and just have IE8 but I have never even used that on this install either. All the sites I need to use work just fine with FF on Iron so I just can not be bothered.  cool.gif

I would strongly suggest you install IE9 over IE8 or any earlier version. It is better than the others. And don't forget that if you have an older version which is more vulnerable, you just make it easier for your system to get hit by malware. You don't have to actually use IE to get hit. They can apparently check your system with scripting to see what Internet facing programs, plugins, etc. you have going on and tailor the attack for you. Isn't that just special?  rolleyes.gif
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#6 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

So can I just uninstall IE8 or does FF need it for the IETab addon ?  cool.gif
Install ARCH

#7 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

You don't want to uninstall IE8. You will need it for Windows Updates at the very least. I would never uninstall IE for that very reason.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (LilBambi @ Feb 19 2012, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't want to uninstall IE8. You will need it for Windows Updates at the very least. I would never uninstall IE for that very reason.

Why do I need IE for updates ? I have 7 set up to inform me when updates are available and then choose which ones I want to install. You can use FF to download directly from the Microsoft site as I recall from my XP days.  unsure.gif
Install ARCH

#9 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:01 AM

You don't actually...but there are times when you need IE for a given site. There are only a handful that I need it for, but for those, the only browser that works right on those sites is IE. But it's of course up to you.

I would suggest locking it down and disabling any plugins without your express permissions (you can do that in IE9) rather than deleting it.  But again, it's up to you.

How do I remove Internet Explorer 8 from Windows as a troubleshooting step? (Article ID: 957700 - Last Review: February 3, 2012 - Revision: 27.0)

However, that is only as a diagnostic.

Uninstalling IE8 on a Windows 7 x64 Machine - Does that leave me with Internet Explorer 7?

See the conflicting stuff. Apparently you can disable it according to this article. But not remove it if it's a 64-bit Windows 7.

Uninstall, Disable, or Delete Internet Explorer 8 from Windows 7 (howtogeek)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (LilBambi @ Feb 20 2012, 03:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't actually...but there are times when you need IE for a given site. There are only a handful that I need it for, but for those, the only browser that works right on those sites is IE. But it's of course up to you.

I would suggest locking it down and disabling any plugins without your express permissions (you can do that in IE9) rather than deleting it.  But again, it's up to you.

How do I remove Internet Explorer 8 from Windows as a troubleshooting step? (Article ID: 957700 - Last Review: February 3, 2012 - Revision: 27.0)

However, that is only as a diagnostic.

Uninstalling IE8 on a Windows 7 x64 Machine - Does that leave me with Internet Explorer 7?

See the conflicting stuff. Apparently you can disable it according to this article. But not remove it if it's a 64-bit Windows 7.

Uninstall, Disable, or Delete Internet Explorer 8 from Windows 7 (howtogeek)

Hi thanks for the input that last link looks like the one for me. thumbsup.gif

I have not familiarized myself with 7 at all as I only have it installed for running games and would not even have it at all if mainstream games were GNU/Linux supported.  cool.gif

Install ARCH

#11 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

It's not what I would do, but very happy to help you be able to do what you want. thumbsup.gif
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

more ie 9 notes

well, ok, note - one other thing - i notice that on some sites, the "back" arrow doesn't seem particularly effective.
but on the same site, ff backs up just fine.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users