• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,498 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

I meant to post about the Adobe Flash & Shockwave Player updates from the last couple days as well as the Java update.  Time can be an enemy at times -- just not enough of it.  If you haven't updated or are interested in details, feel free to check my blog posts.  Otherwise, head to the Adobe & Oracle Java websites and get the latest updates!

Critical Updates to Adobe Flash and Shockwave Players

Oracle Java SE Critical Security Update
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#2 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,385 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for posting those Corrine! Been doing the updates for those two on all computers here and at any client's houses I visit.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 15,661 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (LilBambi @ Feb 17 2012, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for posting those Corrine! Been doing the updates for those two on all computers here and at any client's houses I visit.

thumbsup.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/Archlinux G+/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

I know what versions of flash plugins (IE and non-IE) but how do I tell if I have shockwave player installed?
I found my notes that I did remove it from most computers but I still want to check on it and update my notes.

I found the check page http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
Now to test on all computers in both browsers!

I removed Java from all but one computer and that has made patching easier.

Edited by zlim, 17 February 2012 - 02:11 PM.

Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,498 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thanks, zlim.  I added the test link to my article.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

#6 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

I installed the flash plugins for IE and non-IE browsers fine in Win XP and 7 but my 2K box is shooting up the following error:
The procedure entry point SetDllDirectoryW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll
so those two computers will remain at the older version.
I even downloaded from Adobe's site and got the same error when I tried to install.

I did google the error but came up with something mentioning C# and my eyes glazed over!
Since I rarely fire up my 2K computer, I'm not real concerned about an outdated flash plugin.
Liz
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,498 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Interesting this picture that Aryeh Goretsky posted on Twitter about the Adobe Flash version update verification:

https://twitter.com/#!/goretsky/status/...0431616/photo/1
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

Go here http://stevemooradian.com/web-development-...ersion-detector
make sure javascript is not blocked with noscript and click the Live Demo link. It shows you the flash version installed.
Liz
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

the more i know about adobe reader and flash, the less i like them.
adobe is cumbersome.
flash allows sharing of every resource on your pc.  its existence is criminal.
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (Corrine @ Feb 16 2012, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I meant to post about the Adobe Flash & Shockwave Player updates from the last couple days as well as the Java update.  Time can be an enemy at times -- just not enough of it.  If you haven't updated or are interested in details, feel free to check my blog posts.  Otherwise, head to the Adobe & Oracle Java websites and get the latest updates!

Critical Updates to Adobe Flash and Shockwave Players

Oracle Java SE Critical Security Update

I had to update Flash a couple of days ago for the people I support at work.  I noticed that Adobe has removed the link for the full standalone versions of Flash 64-bit.  Only the 32-bit version (Internet Explorer) remains.  Even after searching for the 64-bit versions - nothing turned up.

Edited by Tushman, 19 February 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (zlim @ Feb 17 2012, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Go here http://stevemooradian.com/web-development-...ersion-detector
make sure javascript is not blocked with noscript and click the Live Demo link. It shows you the flash version installed.

I prefer using this page on Adobe instead.  I normally don't rely on another vendor or another website to give me that info.

Edited by Tushman, 19 February 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,385 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

Flash Player | 64-bit operating systems

Note: When you download Flash Player installer using 64-bit Internet Explorer, you download the 64-bit Flash Player installer. It installs Flash Player on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Internet Explorer if both are present.

Smart move. Wish Java would do the same.

Of course you need to go to Firefox, Opera, or Safari to get the non-IE version too.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#13 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,385 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:01 AM

You can determine what version you have here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

BTW: Apparently that page works on Windows, Mac and Linux (friend tested it on Ubuntu and it worked).
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (Tushman @ Feb 18 2012, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had to update Flash a couple of days ago for the people I support at work.  I noticed that Adobe has removed the link for the full standalone versions of Flash 64-bit.  Only the 32-bit version (Internet Explorer) remains.  Even after searching for the 64-bit versions - nothing turned up.

Tushman, you can find the 64bit version of flash here.
Mac
"Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks,
it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#15 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (mac @ Feb 19 2012, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tushman, you can find the 64bit version of flash here.

It's funny how I could not find that before - I tried 2 different search engines and notta.  Thanks for the link Mac! thumbsup.gif

Edited by Tushman, 19 February 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,498 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (Temmu @ Feb 18 2012, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the more i know about adobe reader and flash, the less i like them.
adobe is cumbersome.

I got sick of Adobe Reader several years ago and switched to the open source Sumatra PDF.  No add-ons, not a target like Adobe.  Free PDF Reader - Sumatra PDF

There are a number of open source readers available from http://pdfreaders.org/.  Nitro Reader is another I heard is good.
Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,385 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Corrine @ Feb 19 2012, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got sick of Adobe Reader several years ago and switched to the open source Sumatra PDF.  No add-ons, not a target like Adobe.  Free PDF Reader - Sumatra PDF

There are a number of open source readers available from http://pdfreaders.org/.  Nitro Reader is another I heard is good.

I can't thank you enough for letting me know about Sumatra PDF! Great, lightweight PDF reader. Does that one thing great!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users