• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

failed health network, coming to an country near you.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/12/fi...et_flops_again/

-or- distopian future: fact or fancy
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

the identification of the wrong doctor or nurse with a patientís records.
That can't be good especially if the patient is unresponsive and no family member is around to correct the error!

I have friends in NSW. I guess I won't ask how their health care is working!
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Urmas

Urmas

GUI Penguin

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Dis-to-pi-an, huh? OK, you asked for it:

DEVELOPMENT OF INFORMATION SECURITY SERVICES FOR FINNISH HEALTHCARE ORGANIZATIONS
(.pdf, 96 pages)

hysterical.gif

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

Abstract of the Master's Thesis this can't be interesting reading! I had hoped it was not in English so I'd have an excuse not to look! hysterical.gif

Did I mention I have a doctor's appt. today? Not the things to know before you go to your physician!!!
Liz
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Urmas

Urmas

GUI Penguin

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (zlim @ Feb 13 2012, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Abstract of the Master's Thesis this can't be interesting reading!

O ye, of little faith -- it is a riveting read!   cool.gif

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Board Bigwig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

The doctor-patient linkup was for ER treatments and i would actually presume it was data entry errors rather than system error.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#7 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

i was visiting a friend at a major hospital implementing electronic health records.
a doctor sat at the pc for hours attempting to document his work.
hours wasted not caring for patients.

i personally know of doctors who will retire early before obama-care hits full force in the u.s.

loss of that kind of experience = health care erosion.
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

I called for a doctor's appt. last Thursday. I told the receptionist that I was in the "inactive" file because I hadn't been there for several years. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". She was unable to add me to the appointment list. Then she tried to put me in as a new patient and the software wouldn't let her do that either. I'm not sure if I am in the system but I had the appointment yesterday and filled out the old paper forms again.
Liz
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,013 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

How does this have anything to do with computer security and networking? That's my question.

Posted Image

Have a creepy little Halloween!

#10 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,083 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Feb 14 2012, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How does this have anything to do with computer security and networking? That's my question.

I hear ya, we have been getting Linux questions in the Social forum too. Go figure thumbsup.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/Archlinux G+/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#11 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

I won't be offended if you remove my posts.
I tend to think I'm in the water cooler and go off on a tangent.
Liz
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,013 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

We NEVER remove anyone's posts here at Scot's. We just sweep them under the rub (make invisible) or we move them to the appropriate locations. I will do the latter right now, actually. wink.gif

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Board Bigwig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Feb 15 2012, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We NEVER remove anyone's posts here at Scot's. We just sweep them under the rub (make invisible) or we move them to the appropriate locations. I will do the latter right now, actually. wink.gif

What is a "rub"?
We anal people want to know  pirate.gif
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#14 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,083 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

I think he meant rug  hysterical.gif

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#15 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

perhaps eric & securitybreach, you didn't read the article and as such, my post automatically merits dissing by placement in the water cooler.

it is a very real failed attempt at ehr.
it does have to do with networking and security both.

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,013 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Rug. happy62.gif

Sorry, temmu. Guilty as charged. I'll move this back to where you first posted it in Sec and Net. smile.gif

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,083 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

Well I had read it the other day when you first posted it. I was mainly just responding to Eric's responses. Keep up the great work, we appreciate the posts. thumbsup.gif

#18 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

thx, eric & securitybreach.

done carefully, ehr (electronic health records) could have a positive impact on the quality of healthcare.
done poorly, real people suffer, and could suffer more than if the ehr thing didn't exist,
as the clinical folks are all too busy fooling with ehr, and not patients.

Edited by Temmu, 16 February 2012 - 11:37 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users