10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hi all!
My wife needs a form from our Provincial government which insist that she needs Adobe Reader 10.0. I tried to install it but it doesn't want to complete the process.
Now I did download the Linux version AdbeRdr9.4.7-1_i486linux_enu.bin but I don't know how to install it.
Any help please
registered linux user #374889

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 15,667 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

As root:
CODE
chmod +x AdbeRdr9.4.7-1_i486linux_enu.bin

Then as root:
CODE
./AdbeRdr9.4.7-1_i486linux_enu.bin

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/Archlinux G+/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 15,667 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

What distro are you using? I may be able to find the the Reader 10+ version for you.

Also, what is the error you receive when you try to install it via your package manager?

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

If you have a windows computer, I've found that sites saying I need Adobe Reader are lying. I use Foxit and Sumatra and have been able to access every pdf form including from US and PA government sites.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (securitybreach @ Feb 1 2012, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As root:
CODE
chmod +x AdbeRdr9.4.7-1_i486linux_enu.bin

Then as root:
CODE
./AdbeRdr9.4.7-1_i486linux_enu.bin

Thanks Josh!
I found the same ( although for .jre ) in one of Bruno's tutorials and I had it installed ( the 9 version that is ) before I got your reply.
@zlim. I saved the document on my desktop ( Linux Zen ( PCLinuxOS Gnome ) ) and only Acrobate Reader 9 will open it properly. Libre Office will not work.
I sent a copy on my wife's computer and Open Office won't open it properly either.
My wife phone them and they are supposed to send her a .txt file. I did save the form on my machine as a .txt file but gedit cannot open it, nor can LibreOffice

Edited by réjean, 01 February 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

I never use an Office program to open a pdf. If your wife uses Windows, try a portable version of Foxit. That way you don't have to install it, if you prefer not to. It will open the pdf file.
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/foxit_reader_portable

Sumatra also has a portable version http://sumatra-pdf-portable.en.softonic.com/
Liz
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

Thanks Liz! I'll try them when my wife is not using her computer but I have some doubts. She has Acrobat Reader ( 6.0 I think ) installed already but it doesn't work and she has Open Office which doesn't work either.
But I will give the other 2 a try.
It's not a bad think as far as I am concerned if she uses Linux and start to realize that it is not that difficult to use.

#8 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

pdfs are not designed to be opened in Office Programs - so don't try using an office program. You need a pdf reader and one that is up to date. I suspect that is why v 6 doesn't work.
Liz
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

I just installed Foxit in my wife's computer (xp) and it opened the pdf file. That's a keeper.

#10 ONLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 18,752 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

Yes. Foxit is a very good little app. I used to use it in MS Windows once upon a time.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 15,667 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

Glad you got it sorted out Réjean thumbsup.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users