• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Mozilla released Firefox 10 today, including a major update that will make both developers as well as Firefox users happy -- default compatibility of almost all add-ons.

Although default compatibility of add-ons will make a lot of people happy, this change is "prioritized as a P1 and part of achieving 'silent update'." as indicated in the feature tracking entry of "Add-ons Default to Compatible" in Mozilla Wiki.

Additional information and links to Bug Fixes, Security Update, etc. Mozilla Firefox 10 Released, Includes Security Update

Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#2 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,207 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

I got so tired of bumping extensions with all these new versions every other week that I fixed mine so they're good to version 20. wink.gif

#3 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Jan 31 2012, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got so tired of bumping extensions with all these new versions every other week that I fixed mine so they're good to version 20. wink.gif

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I am tired of this constant updating.  The rapid release schedule is turning out to be a bigger PITA than I anticipated.  Firefox version 10.0.2 was just released 2 days ago.

#4 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,823 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:06 AM

I am very happy for the current release schedule. It makes it more like Chrome which means it can more quickly respond to threats.

I think that's a good thing.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#5 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (LilBambi @ Feb 18 2012, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am very happy for the current release schedule. It makes it more like Chrome which means it can more quickly respond to threats.

I think that's a good thing.

On that one, I have to agree.

But before they started this whole thing w/ the rapid release schedule, all I did to update Firefox was to use the updater functionality in the browser.  (As long as it was within the same version number - for instance 3.6.24 to 3.6.28).  Now it's somewhat different.  I'm having to do a clean install of a new version every month or so.  And as Eric mentioned above, there's additional hassle of making sure or 'tweaking' my add-ons to ensure compatibility.

Edited by Tushman, 19 February 2012 - 01:26 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,823 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:11 AM

No need. If you have Firefox open long enough and you have it set to get updates automatically, it will.

How do I update Firefox?
By default, Firefox is configured to automatically check for updates for itself and notify you when one is available. When prompted, just click OK and the newest version will be downloaded and installed on your computer. You'll need to restart Firefox to begin using the new version.

You are also able to check for updates manually. For details, check out the step-by-step guide.

You can also check for updates for Firefox by going to the Help, About Firefox, check for updates. If there is an update, it will download and present you with an apply update button.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Updati...eck_for_updates
Check for updates:

Apply updates:

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#7 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,207 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:30 AM

No auto-update for FF in Linux.

#8 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,823 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

True, in the same way as it is in Mac and Windows, but if you use apt-get or other package manager...
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (LilBambi @ Feb 19 2012, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No need. If you have Firefox open long enough and you have it set to get updates automatically, it will.

You can also check for updates for Firefox by going to the Help, About Firefox, check for updates. If there is an update, it will download and present you with an apply update button.

Yes I know there is an auto update feature in Firefox, I have it turned off on my computers.  I prefer uninstalling the old version and doing a manual upgrade of the application in between major version numbers.

Edited by Tushman, 19 February 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#10 ONLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'm with you, Tushman.  I don't want any program except my A/V automatically updating.  The reason is that it is my computer and I want to know what is happening.  If something goes wrong, I'll know where to point the finger.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#11 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,823 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

I agree totally! I don't have it auto updating, but I go to About Firefox/Thunderbird and choose to check when i am ready. Preferably after a backup of bookmarks, email etc.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Neil P

Neil P

Resident Pyromaniac

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

The "major" updates now aren't as major as they used to be.

#13 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,823 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (steeler_fan @ Feb 19 2012, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The "major" updates now aren't as major as they used to be.

Exactly! That's part of what they have been fixing.

The only time you should still uninstall and reinstall is if you are helping someone who is still on a 3.x.x version! Once you get past version 4.x, the internal updater works great.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users