lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Jan 26 2012, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello folks.

I'm soliciting for suggestions on a POP or IMAP enabled free email service to replace my Gmail. Any suggestions above and beyond the obvious... Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your input. smile.gif

With the cost of having your own domain, with email included, being so cheap, I find free email accounts to be un-necessary.  I have a gmail and a yahoo mail account, but I seldom use either one.  I have the gmail because I use the Android Market and I use the Yahoo account once in a great while to send "anonymous" emails. hysterical.gif

#27 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

With the cost of having your own domain, with email included, being so cheap
Links please for me who doesn't understand having my own domain.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 18,225 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

He means you can register a domain, say plodr.com, with a domain registrations site like GoDaddy for about $15/year. However, you would also need to pay for a server provider to host your website and email. That can be done relatively cheaply, too. Companies like Green Geeks are pretty inexpensive.

Sadly, for someone like myself with ZERO disposable income at the moment, this is not an option.

Posted Image

#29 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Posting Prodigy

• Forum MVP
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

I have used Bluehost for a few years. Helios introduced me to the guy who runs the place.
He is a big proponent of FLOSS and contributes his own work under a copyleft license.
Their servers run CentOS.

I pay $5.95 per month with one year domain name included and domain is 9.95 per year after that.
http://www.bluehost.com/

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Jan 30 2012, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He means you can register a domain, say plodr.com, with a domain registrations site like GoDaddy for about $15/year. However, you would also need to pay for a server provider to host your website and email. That can be done relatively cheaply, too. Companies like Green Geeks are pretty inexpensive.

Sadly, for someone like myself with ZERO disposable income at the moment, this is not an option.

You could host your own on a home server running just about any linux you want. Then you'd just have to register the domain. Oh, and pay the electricity. hysterical.gif

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.  L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

#30 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum Admins
  • 9,112 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (amenditman @ Jan 30 2012, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could host your own on a home server running just about any linux you want. Then you'd just have to register the domain. Oh, and pay the electricity. hysterical.gif

If you are not familiar with running a web-facing server, than I do not recommend this route. Running a server on a local network, behind a router is not a big deal. However, running one open and exposed to the internet is another thing entirely. There are many issues to consider.

On the same note, most ISPs will not permit the hosting of a server.

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#31 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Jan 30 2012, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't have to have a website.  If you register a domain with Godaddy, they will give you an email account at that domain at no additional cost.   You then use Godaddy's pop3 and smtp servers to get and send mail.  IOW, if you register "me.com" and set up your email as "me@me.com", you can then use kmail, thunderbird or whatever email client you want to use to send and receive email to/from "me@me.com".  The total cost per year is just the $7 to $15 cost of registering the domain.  The registration cost varies depending on whether it's a .com, .info, etc.

#32 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 18,225 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (lewmur @ Jan 30 2012, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't have to have a website.  If you register a domain with Godaddy, they will give you an email account at that domain at no additional cost.   You then use Godaddy's pop3 and smtp servers to get and send mail.

I didn't know that.

QUOTE (ross549 @ Jan 30 2012, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are not familiar with running a web-facing server, than I do not recommend this route. Running a server on a local network, behind a router is not a big deal. However, running one open and exposed to the internet is another thing entirely. There are many issues to consider.

On the same note, most ISPs will not permit the hosting of a server.

Adam

True. And you're right about ISPs not allowing it. I don't think Verizon will let you operate a server on a plain jane residential account.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users