31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,378 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

Hello folks.

I'm soliciting for suggestions on a POP or IMAP enabled free email service to replace my Gmail. Any suggestions above and beyond the obvious... Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your input. smile.gif

#2 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:55 AM

Hello,

Have you looked at GMX?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP 2004.1-2018.6 [Cloud and Datacenter Management]

(previously Networking, Windows, Windows for Devices and IT)
FacebookGoogle+ personal blogpersonal websiteTwitter work blog

#3 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Jan 26 2012, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello folks.

I'm soliciting for suggestions on a POP or IMAP enabled free email service to replace my Gmail. Any suggestions above and beyond the obvious... Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your input. smile.gif

Eric, I've completely switched over to Juno's webmail service.  I was using GMX for a short while but there were a few occasions where I felt I was not getting my mail on a timely basis.  So I switched.  Truth be told, I'm not too thrilled with Juno either.  In the past 3-4 months, I have been getting quite a bit of spam.  By that I mean atleast 2 per day.  It may only be 2 or 3, but when one is used to seeing ZERO/NADA in gmail.... it's more than what I'm accustomed to seeing.  Most of the spam is from Juno's so called "targeted" ads.  The first time I got one, I marked it as spam.  Juno then said:

"sorry but messages from Juno cannot be marked as spam".  Great..... thank you very much.

Seems as though you can't win for nothing.  If you want to escape Gmail (privacy issues) you gotta suffer through something else.

Since both Juno & GMX have been turning sour, there was yet a 3rd one I was looking at.   I actually tried to sign up for their service several weeks ago but their website said that they had closed off registration for new members.  I'll have to see if I can remember it (URL) as they may have re-opened the registration site.

Edited by Tushman, 27 January 2012 - 02:47 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

I was looking for a replacement for yahoo when they started forcing everyone to move to a new look, which I hate.
I have an account with GMX but things like file sharing have not worked properly for US people for a few years and they seem unwilling or unable to fix it so I'm not sold on GMX either. I'd rather put up a file and give a friend access to it than try and email a large file or snail mail a CD.
Juno severely limits the file size attachment so if I want to send several pictures (as I did during 2011's disasters), I had to use another email account to do it. And as Tushman pointed out, you get ads from them in your inbox and you can't put them into the spam folder automatically.
MochaMail was a possibility but the notice they will re-open signups soon has been up for over a year. I've given up checking after seeing this notice for so long.
and here it is http://www.mochamail.com/account/signup.aspx

I finally signed up at fastmail.fm (thanks to frapper who suggested it when I complained about the webmail I used getting weirder and weirder)  https://www.fastmail.fm/mail/personal.html
for the free account.

Edited by zlim, 27 January 2012 - 12:01 PM.

Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,378 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

Yes...

@ Aryeh... I went to GMX's site yesterday. It looked interesting. My worry, when it comes to email providers, is their permanence. I don't want to have to be changing addresses in a few months when they go out of business or change the email offerings. I'm looking for stability, which is probably just going to lead me back to Yahoo or Hotmail.

@ Tushman... HAHA! I have a Juno account that's about 12 years old. It was one of the first ISPs (free dial-up account) that I had when I first came online. wink.gif

@ Liz... I don't really mind Yahoo's new web look, but I don't use it much really. I access ALL my mail via Thunderbird. Even though I don't have a paid Yahoo account, I can still access it via Thunderbird by using the wonderful Webmail extension for Yahoo. I've been using it for years. Works like a charm 99.9% of the time. Whenever there is a bug or issue of some sort the Webmail dev fixes it VERY fast.

About Fastmail... I considered them also. They've been around for a long while. I think I can IMAP with their free account, if I'm not mistaken. Well, another to consider along with GMX, Zohomail, etc., I guess.

Thanks for the replies, folks. smile.gif

#6 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

I know that Temmu had a problem recovering his Hotmail account of many years and never did get a reply when I attempted to contact someone on the Hotmail team.  That said, when I created a Hotmail account in 2001 because it was needed to access a particular sit for work, even though the account was hardly ever used, it was a spam magnet.  When the opportunity arose to create a "live" account, I gave Hotmail another look.  

My current Hotmail address has been my primary personal e-mail address for the pat five years.  I have found it to be the most versatile, almost spam-free e-mail account I've ever used -- and that includes Juno, Yahoo, MyWay, G-Mail, and a host of others I've tried.

No, IMAP with Hotmail (info on POP3 with links to various Hotmail security features:  Use Hotmail to Manage All Your E-Mail Accounts), however the tutorial at Hotmail IMAP Settings purports to

show you how to use Hotmail as an IMAP account, even without having Windows Live Hotmail IMAP settings available at this time.

IzyMail provides IMAP access and has a free trial but the subscription cost is $1.49/mo.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#7 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,378 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hi Corrine...

Yes, I have a Hotmail account. It's actually one of my oldest email accounts. I've never had any issues with them. I currently access it via Thunderbird (POP). I may have been grandfathered in, though. I don't remember. Does Hotmail free allow POP these days?

#8 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,645 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

Amazing, I just signed into my hotmail account that I have not used in 10 years and it was still active. No mail though?? They must of deleted all of my old mail.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#9 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Jan 27 2012, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does Hotmail free allow POP these days?

I think they do.  I know that Windows Live Mail will retrieve your Hotmail messages.

@Josh - I'm amazed that your hotmail account is still active.  Has it truly been 10 years?  I know that they deactivate accounts if you do not log in once in a while.  I don't know what the expiration period is... 3 yrs? 4 yrs....?  whatever it is these days, 10 years is pretty amazing.  I'm willing to bet that you had logged in at some point prior to that.

Edit:

Eric - just to confirm what i said above, Windows Live Mail does retrieve POP3 messages (Hotmail).

Edited by Tushman, 27 January 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,378 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (securitybreach @ Jan 27 2012, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amazing, I just signed into my hotmail account that I have not used in 10 years and it was still active. No mail though?? They must of deleted all of my old mail.

Awww, man. That means all those eCards I've sent you over the years are gone, huh?  hysterical.gif

#11 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,378 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (Tushman @ Jan 27 2012, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eric - just to confirm what i said above, Windows Live Mail does retrieve POP3 messages (Hotmail).

Most webmail accounts will retrieve POP emails. I need to know if I can retrieve Hotmail with a stand-alone client like Thunderbird. I'll go there now and check it out. If it does, I can just fire up two or three new Hotmail accounts to replace the ones that I'm now using at Gmail.

Thanks! smile.gif

#12 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,378 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

OK, evidently Hotmail does still allow POP access via stand-alone clients --> http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?s...1b-118e45a7cf1b

YAY! That might be the way I go, then. We'll see. smile.gif

#13 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hot mail will clear out your old data if it is inactive long enough. Yahoo does the same. I think Yahoo and Gmail both have a policy of 90 days.

I know this only because I have extremely limited internet access while on a deployment. Since a normal deployment is 6 months, I just needed to make sure I logged in twice to each of the service when I was out in order to not lose any data.

Here is another thing you can do to never have to worry about this. Register your own domain!

Plenty of registrars let you set up your custom e-mail and forward it to where ever you need to go. I do this with my website. My personal e-mail address forwards to my gmail, and Gmail is set yo send e-mail as my personal address.

Works like a champ!

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,378 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

Irony = Eric, a Penguinista Extraordinaire using Microsoft's Hotmail for his Linux Tech Blog. wink.gif

harhar.gif

@ Adam... One day, when the $$$ situation gets a bit better, I intend to do the private domain/server provider route. Right now, though, that ain't in the cards. sad.gif

#15 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

https://www.hover.com/pricing

35.00 per year..... wink.gif

Adam

#16 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,378 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

OK, new Nocturnal Slacker email is now LIVE! smile.gif

#17 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

No longer Memorex?

Adam

#18 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,378 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

Nope. Ran out of wine glasses. wink.gif

#19 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

Eric,

I don't use it much, but there is an email site with the correct name in it. Don't even know if it will fit your pre-conditions, but check for yourself.

linuxmail.org   It's part of mail.com, they do allow you to mark their promotions emails as spam.

Mine is amenditman@linuxmail.org, imagine that.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#20 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,378 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

Yup. I've had Mail.com accounts in the past. Unfortunately, they do not allow POP/IMAP access for free accounts. sad.gif

#21 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

Article stolen from Freedomlist. Sorry I could not get the link to work because it is old and probably removed.
mail.com is owned by gmx
LOS ANGELES, CA. September 20th, 2010 - MMC, the leading publisher and digital media company that owns content properties such as OnCars.com, Deadline.com, HollywoodLife.com, Movieline.com, BGR.com, YHAwards.com, HollyBaby.com, Fan.com, India.com and others, today announced a strategic transaction related to its Mail.com asset with Europe’s largest Internet company, United Internet Group. The Germany based United Internet, a multi-billion dollar publicly listed communications leader, plans to leverage their pioneering e-mail subsidiary GMX to continue the success that Mail.com experienced under the MMC umbrella, while dramatically building the e-mail service internationally.

Under the terms of the agreement, the United Internet Group has acquired the Mail.com e-mail business from MMC, but MMC will remain the primary global content provider for the Mail.com portal.

Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,378 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

Well, how 'bout that.

#23 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:44 AM

Hello,

GMX has been around since 1997, according to Wikipedia.  The service started (or was at least popular) in Germany, which is where I have seen the most users of the service.

You could also try Yandex, which is a Russian service.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP 2004.1-2018.6 [Cloud and Datacenter Management]

(previously Networking, Windows, Windows for Devices and IT)
FacebookGoogle+ personal blogpersonal websiteTwitter work blog

#24 OFFLINE   frapper

frapper

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (goretsky @ Jan 30 2012, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could also try Yandex, which is a Russian service.

Interesting.  

Spam-free
Your mailbox is protected by our "Spamoborona" technology

hysterical.gif   Go for it, Eric.

Posted Image
Norm
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x3
USAF - '67-'71
Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr