9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   macdunn

macdunn

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:30 AM

I have Android install on an ASUS eeePC netbook for testing purposes.

I want to download and install the Android version of Skype as well but every 'marketplace' requires that I have a phone account even though this is not on a smartphone (and I don't have a smartphone with a cell account, only an older cellphone/account).

Any ideas on how to get Skype for Android on my Android-enabled netbook?

This is strictly for testing purposes. I have other machines with Windows and Skype as well as Linux with Skype.

TIA!

#2 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Discussion Deity

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:07 AM

Android market says you need 3G or WiFi - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.skype.raider

Topic moved to Mobility forum.
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image MX-14
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#3 ONLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,132 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:18 AM

Just knew Microsoft would screw things up with Skype. Requiring a phone number or 3g is not right.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#4 OFFLINE   macdunn

macdunn

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE (sunrat @ Jan 16 2012, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Android market says you need 3G or WiFi - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.skype.raider

Topic moved to Mobility forum.

Hi,

Well, sure, my netbook, ASUS eeePC, has WiFi. How else do I connect to an Android Marketplace!

Thanks for moving this to the 'proper' forum. I am not sure if it is a Mobility topic or Linux (since Android is Google's customisation of Linux).

#5 OFFLINE   macdunn

macdunn

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (LilBambi @ Jan 18 2012, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just knew Microsoft would screw things up with Skype. Requiring a phone number or 3g is not right.

My sentiments as well. But, I do not consider this, for once, a problem caused by MS since I have been trying to get Skype for Android on my test machine since last August before the sale to the Boys from Redmond was completed (approved by the FCC).

#6 ONLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,132 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

Ah, ok. Glad to hear it wasn't due to the change in ownership.

I don't know why they are requiring it for Android anyway. Don't they know there can be non-phone Android devices?

I have Skype on my iPod Touch and of course I have no phone number on that because it's not a phone.

I really don't get it. At CNET Download.com site, the requirements for Skype for Android say only that:
Data plan or WiFi connection required

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#7 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (macdunn @ Jan 16 2012, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have Android install on an ASUS eeePC netbook for testing purposes.

I want to download and install the Android version of Skype as well but every 'marketplace' requires that I have a phone account even though this is not on a smartphone (and I don't have a smartphone with a cell account, only an older cellphone/account).

Any ideas on how to get Skype for Android on my Android-enabled netbook?

This is strictly for testing purposes. I have other machines with Windows and Skype as well as Linux with Skype.

TIA!

Is this a custom ROM you are dealing with? Or is it a tablet build? I would think that Skype would work on any tablet without a cellular connection, but there must be something in the build of Android that would be causing it to ignore that phone requirement in the Android market.

I hope the above makes sense. wink.gif

Adam

QUOTE (LilBambi @ Jan 17 2012, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am about 99% certain that it is not a requirement set by Microsoft. I bet it is more that there is something goofy with macdunn's build of Android.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 ONLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,132 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

Yes, I am beginning to think that's the case too, Adam. After looking it up over at CNET Download.com
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#9 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 15,378 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

macdunn: Check your email wink.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/Archlinux G+/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#10 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 15,378 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (ross549 @ Jan 18 2012, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this a custom ROM you are dealing with? Or is it a tablet build? I would think that Skype would work on any tablet without a cellular connection, but there must be something in the build of Android that would be causing it to ignore that phone requirement in the Android market.

I hope the above makes sense. wink.gif

Adam

I am about 99% certain that it is not a requirement set by Microsoft. I bet it is more that there is something goofy with macdunn's build of Android.

Yes, this should not have anything to do with the device at hand considering I had Skype installed on two different tablets with custom ROMS without any issues whatsoever. I also have Skype installed on my phone as well which has a custom rom. I know the phone would have a number but whenever I restore my phone, I do not have any cellular signal (inside my house) until after I install all of my apps over wifi.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/Archlinux G+/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users