• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

How do I get an on-screen keyboard at the login screen? This is for Linux on the HP TouchPad, but it should be a standard linux thing if it's possible.

I have Gnome 3, Enlightenment, LXDE, KDE Plasma installed and all have an on-screen keyboard.
But I need it at the login screen to be able to choose which Desktop Environment to load.

Any ideas?

Edited by amenditman, 29 December 2011 - 11:26 PM.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,653 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (amenditman @ Dec 29 2011, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do I get an on-screen keyboard at the login screen? This is for Linux on the HP TouchPad, but it should be a standard linux thing if it's possible.

I have Gnome 3, Enlightenment, LXDE, KDE Plasma installed and all have an on-screen keyboard.
But I need it at the login screen to be able to choose which Desktop Environment to load.

Any ideas?

Did you not already solve this on another form? The resason I ask is because I am also interested in the directions as I am setting up Arch again on my Touchpad now. Also you said that Enlightenment worked best on the Touchpad so if you do not mind, could you post a tutorial on setting it up and such?
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,653 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

So all we had to comment out the gnome entry and add the start_enlightment entry in ~/.xinitrc to autologin Enlightenment.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (securitybreach @ Dec 31 2011, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So all we had to comment out the gnome entry and add the start_enlightment entry in ~/.xinitrc to autologin Enlightenment.

The line we had to add for Enlightenment was a little more detailed than one would expect.

exec <PATH to enlightenment folder>enlightenment_start

Found the info here, http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Start...he_command_line

This solves the immediate problem of needing the on-screen keyboard at boot.
It does not solve the issues I am seeing once fully up and running.
It's hard to describe, but if I had to make a guess as to what is going on I would say that both Gnome 3 and Enlightenment are running at the same time. And they don't get along very well.

Edited by amenditman, 31 December 2011 - 12:20 PM.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users