• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,628 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:05 AM

DO NOT take this as authoritative.  I just now noticed the url is not "microsoft.com"
after re-reading, this may simply be some wags' idea of a good idea.  Appologies to any who
may have read this and assumed it to be factual.
<--- edit inserted this.

microsoft will from now on automatically upgrade your browser to the current version:

http://windowsteamblog.com/ie/b/ie/archive...-windows-7.aspx

and, yes, you can opt-out, but why would you?

Edited by Temmu, 17 December 2011 - 01:10 AM.

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 15,373 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:18 AM

I read this yesterday and as much as it hurts me to say, great job Microsoft!! Its about time!!

As far as opting in or out, they phone home anyway so it does not really matter either way  whistling.gif

Note: This is just my opinion and it may or may not be factual wink.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/Archlinux G+/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 15,373 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE (Temmu @ Dec 16 2011, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DO NOT take this as authoritative.  I just now noticed the url is not "microsoft.com"
after re-reading, this may simply be some wags' idea of a good idea.  Appologies to any who

I believe they are the official blog of Microsoft. I did a little searching and a few places say that this is an official blog but I have not found a microsoft.com link saying this:
Read this article to know more about Windows Team Blog which was organized by Microsoft for updating their users on different information. In this article, I will discuss about Windows Team Blog.....

http://www.windows8blogs.com/resources/273...-Microsoft.aspx
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/Archlinux G+/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (Temmu @ Dec 16 2011, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--- edit inserted this.

microsoft will from now on automatically upgrade your browser to the current version:

http://windowsteamblog.com/ie/b/ie/archive...-windows-7.aspx

and, yes, you can opt-out, but why would you?

I think it's worth mentioning that XP users are still stuck with IE 8.0 as the highest version they can upgrade to.

#5 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

Also, if you have automatic updates turned off, IE will not automatically update. You would have to allow the update when you manually update on the MS update site. They've also committed to making opt-out mechanisms for enterprises:

Microsoft to begin automatic Internet Explorer upgrades in 2012
By Ed Bott | December 15, 2011, 5:00am PST

Summary: In a major policy change, Microsoft plans to deliver IE upgrades automatically to Windows users. That moves IE incrementally closer to its fast-paced competitors, although there are still enough exceptions to keep enterprise users happy.

In January 2012, Microsoft will begin installing the latest version of Internet Explorer on Windows PCs automatically, via Windows Update.

Automatic browser updates will begin rolling out worldwide in Australia and Brazil and will gradually scale up to additional countries and continents over time. Customers running Windows 7 and Windows Vista will be updated to Internet Explorer 9. Those who are using Windows XP will get Internet Explorer 8—the highest version available for that platform.

The new policy represents a major change for Redmond, which currently classifies new browser versions as Important updates but requires the user to manually consent before installing an upgraded version.

With this change, Microsoft joins Google and Firefox, both of which currently push out automatic updates to all users. The big difference is that Microsoft will continue to support older versions of browsers. That’s a crucial distinction for enterprise customers, who need to test and approve any new software release before deploying it and who have complained loudly about Mozilla’s decision to drop support for all but the most recent browser version with their new rapid-release cadence.

Multiple opt-out mechanisms will be available for businesses and consumers who choose not to upgrade:

•If you previously refused an update to IE, you will not be automatically updated.
•As is the case today, you’ll be able to uninstall an Internet Explorer update and roll back to the browser that came with your Windows version.
•Enterprises can block the automatic installation of IE updates using Microsoft’s Blocker Toolkit for IE8 and for IE9.
•Microsoft has committed to making opt-out mechanisms available for future IE releases as well.

Ed Bott report.
Mac
"Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks,
it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#6 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:57 AM

Yes, the Windows Team Blog is "official".
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#7 ONLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:48 AM

Hello,

This will hopefully make some of the dark corridors of the Internet a little safer to walk in.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.
Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - ITPro
My blog.

#8 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

It seems that they actually thought about this and how people and companies would want to work with it. (see mozilla, not so hard)
BUT
let us wait to see if implementation follows design.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#9 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,628 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:20 AM

even if not, i'm putting ie 9 on every vista / 7 machine i'm obliged to work on.  smile.gif

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users