ipad - own one? - use it?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: which ipad do you have?

which ipad do you have?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

i use it for...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

greets!
with all the hype over another cool apple product, was wondering if anyone has one and what one does with it.

i got to play with one at work, it's a nifty device.
they're think of getting more ipads to let people sign off on stuff

so...
anyone have an ipad?  like it?

rsvp!
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

The error returned was:

You did not choose a poll choice to vote against. Please go back and ensure you click on one of the radio buttons next to the choice you wish to vote for

looks like you have a glitch as I ticked the "none" box.   whistling.gif
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:06 AM

I like my work issued iPad. I use it to read all my Linux text books and Linux Magazine and CPU Magazine issues. Plus, Scrabble HD is my current gaming addiction.

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

I also tried to check None and received an error.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   rolanaj

rolanaj

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

I voted none as well and got the error. I would love to have one but I truly do not need one so can't justify the expense. I did find a way to justify buying a kindle though  whistling.gif
Registered Linux User #554733

#6 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

I have a 64GB wifi iPad and I love it.

My wife uses it a lot too, and she questioned me when I bought it. wink.gif

Once you have it and start playing with it, you find yourself using it more and more. That apps make it very useful. I am going to start using it for music creation and such very soon. My mother-in-law is getting one too. She was looking at a laptop, but when you are using to be mobile around the house, the iPad is a great choice when you don't need to do hefty computer things. wink.gif

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

ah!  responses!  biggrin.gif

i like the ipad - so far, all i've had the pleasure of doing is setting one up to run citrix, and showing ppl that the keyboard slides down from the top when they need to type...
i got to play with it some, of course!
guess after the 1st of the year, maybe they'll order one for me... [stares dreamily into space and hopes...]
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   bjf123

bjf123

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:40 AM

I've had one since they first came out.  I love it.  I spend a lot less time on my iMac now that I have the iPad.  It's great for e-mail, web surfing, browsing forums, twitter, Facebook, news, etc.  There's an app called Tapatalk that lets you browse forums that have the plug-in installed.  It works great, but apparently isn't installed here.
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

#9 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:28 AM

There's an Invision Power Board app for the iPad as well. It will not work here either.

Adam

#10 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (ross549 @ Dec 18 2011, 06:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's an Invision Power Board app for the iPad as well.

yipee!  yay! yahoo! you go, adam!!  w00t! w00t-x100.gif worthy.gif drooling.gif clap.gif thumbsup.gif wub.gif      

QUOTE (ross549 @ Dec 18 2011, 06:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It will not work here either.
Adam

pinch.gif  pinch.gif  pinch.gif  

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   frapper

frapper

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (zlim @ Dec 9 2011, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also tried to check None and received an error.

I also chose "none", then it locked me out of the poll saying I had 'already voted'. Where is this poll recorded, Chicago?   pirate.gif

Posted Image
Norm
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x3
USAF - '67-'71
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Jeber

Jeber

Still Version 1.0 beta

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

I was lucky to pick up a 32GB 1st generation iPad from a college graduate on Craigslist for less than half what others were asking. It started out as a laptop replacement at work, then morphed into my constant companion. Now that I've had to sell my MacBook it's my primary computer. It's great for checking email, I can post to forums with it, read books and magazines, listen to music and watch movies. I can even post to my blogs from it. I don't know that I've ever possessed a more versatile and functional small-form-factor computer before. I honestly don't see owning a laptop over owning an iPad. The only shortcoming the 1st gen's have is no camera, but my phone has that so I don't miss the iPad not having one.

He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher, an idiotĚ
(Douglas Adams)

Jeber Central
Jeber's Journal

#13 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (frapper @ Dec 20 2011, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Where is this poll recorded, Chicago?   pirate.gif

laugh.gif lol!
Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (Jeber @ Dec 20 2011, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... I honestly don't see owning a laptop over owning an iPad. ...

cool!  well, (again) maybe i can persuade my work to get me one... biggrin.gif
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

My mother in law (Windows user) just got an iPad for Christmas, and loves it.....

#16 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,522 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

I have played with other people's iPads and love them! biggrin.gif
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#17 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,008 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

I ain't got one. I don't use it fer nuthin. smile.gif

Posted Image

Have a creepy little Halloween!

#18 OFFLINE   Acadia

Acadia

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Bought my first Apple product, an iPad2, just one week ago ... LOVE IT!!  Almost enough to make me think MAC as my next pc.  Linux is too hard (or I don't have the patience, same thing in my opinion) and Windows is, well, too Windowish ... Apple might be somewhere in-between.   hmm.gif
The blazing evidence of immortality is our dissatisfaction with any other solution. -- Emerson

#19 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

you will find apple products pricey, but well endowed and very user friendly.  
in my few scrapes with apple, including a macintosh i owned eons ago, that was the case:  
very easy to pick up on using it.  
you will also find them of very high quality.
Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   claren44

claren44

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

Never owned an Apple product until the iPad 1. Sold it online to get the iPad 2. Am in the process of shipping out the 2 to help cover the cost of the iPad: the New. sweatingbullets.gif  32gig wi-fi only, retina display is amazing. My reason to buy the original iPad was to read text & surf. My eyes & my furniture placement in my tiny bedroom cause tremedous eyestrain on my 24"monitor hooked up to a self-made Windows machine. The iPad has become my email, rss, blogs, social media, online search tool. Could a laptop provide the same service? Likely, but I'm totally hooked on the Touch interface & light weight. Sigh...can't/won't try to escape the Reality Distortion Field...it just works! rolleyes.gif
Words to Hear Music By - my somewhat behind home base.

#21 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

awesome!  heard a few folks praise the beauty of the ipad 3's display!  and there's a lot to be said for portability!
Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   bjf123

bjf123

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (claren44 @ Mar 21 2012, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sigh...can't/won't try to escape the Reality Distortion Field...it just works! rolleyes.gif

Welcome to the dark side!  Come on in, the water's fine.  thumbsup.gif I started many years ago with an original iPod and PowerBook.  Since then, I've added a second Apple laptop, a couple of desktops, just about every version of iPod, three iPhones, and an iPad.  Once I am employed again (lost my job in February), I plan to get a new iPad.  I'm also planning to get a new iPhone when the next version is released.  Yes, I've chugged the Kool-Aid.

Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

#23 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,522 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

hysterical.gif

Good ones claren44 and bjf123!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#24 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (Temmu @ Mar 21 2012, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
awesome!  heard a few folks praise the beauty of the ipad 3's display!  and there's a lot to be said for portability!

One of my coworkers got the new iPad, and I have to agree... the display is stunning. The iPad 2's display is no slouch, but the new on is so much sharper than the 2's.

Adam

#25 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

I don't know how I lived without it.  I just went five days with out turning on my Macair and didn't even notice until I went to play my one flash game.  It will be back to the Air tonight so I can work on a web site.
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users