• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,009 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

I have a notice up at my Out of the Woods and Cabin In the Woods boards, but I didn't blackout... too lazy. sad.gif

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article....=SA_DD_20120118

Posted Image

Have a creepy little Halloween!

#27 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/0...gle+Feedfetcher

list of dark sites
Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

The widespread Internet blackout Wednesday, in which sites such as Wikipedia and Reddit went dark to protest the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA), seems to have influenced members of the U.S. Congress.

PIPA co-sponsor Florida Sen. Marco Rubio pulled his name from the bill Wednesday and SOPA co-sponsor Arizona Rep. Ben Quayle pulled his name Tuesday.

More:  PIPA and SOPA Co-Sponsors Abandon Bills

At Gizmodo:  PIPA Co-Sponsor Abandons His Awful Bill
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#29 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,076 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

But does it  really matter....

"A hearing to amend and debate the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act should resume in February, its chief sponsor said, even in the face of new opposition to the copyright enforcement bill.....Bill sponsor says SOPA hearing to resume in February....Smith says he'll push forward with the controversial copyright enforcement legislation.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/922...ume_in_February

They were doing this before SOPA:
A federal judge in Nevada has agreed that Chanel can seize the domain names in question and transfer them all to US-based registrar GoDaddy. The judge also ordered "all Internet search engines" and "all social media websites"—explicitly naming Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Bing, Yahoo, and Google—to "de-index" the domain names and to remove them from any search results. The case has been a remarkable one. Concerned about counterfeiting, Chanel has filed a joint suit in Nevada against nearly 700 domain names that appear to have nothing in common. When Chanel finds more names, it simply uses the same case and files new requests for more seizures.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...ng-facebook.ars

The opposition (including the president) against NDAA did not stop it from passing, he still signed it into law.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/Archlinux G+/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#30 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

Although the momentum against SOPA & PIPA has been growing, the people (MPAA) who originally promoted this poorly thought out bill will be back.  This is far from over.

I'm glad to hear some of the comments coming from the presidential candidates saying they would not support these 2 bills in its current form.  But in a presidential election year, these buttheads will say anything to get elected.  Once they're in office, look out.  They'll tow the party line and line their pockets with profits gained from lobbyists.

Mark my words, round 2 will be coming up later this year.

#31 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

yes, but at least now it is legal in the u.s. to detain and torture citizens for no cause.

the mpaa thing can't be far behind.
Posted Image

#32 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (Tushman @ Jan 20 2012, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although the momentum against SOPA & PIPA has been growing, the people (MPAA) who originally promoted this poorly thought out bill will be back.  This is far from over.

According to this, they haven't left:  "Chris Dodd warns of Hollywood backlash against Obama over anti-piracy bill"
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/19...oney-over-anti/
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

#33 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

closely related, the megaupload take-down - u.s. jurisdiction in another country explained:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...gle+Feedfetcher
Posted Image

#34 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

one more closely related look: a hot woman and hot car, um, no, um, rapidshare:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...gle+Feedfetcher

QUOTE (Corrine @ Jan 20 2012, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Chris Dodd warns of Hollywood backlash against Obama over anti-piracy bill"

indeed so.  as was pointed out earlier, the u.s. pres was rather luke warm on his anti-soap statement.

Posted Image

#35 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Corrine @ Jan 20 2012, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to this, they haven't left:  "Chris Dodd warns of Hollywood backlash against Obama over anti-piracy bill"
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/19...oney-over-anti/

The law makers have no taste for it and it won't even make it to the floor.  All 4 of the republican presidential candidates have already made public statements saying they won't support it in its current form.  That itself should tell you how strong the opposition is and the lawmakers got the message loud & clear.  To me, the most alarming aspect is how this proposed bill got traction in the first place.  Americans pride themselves on freedom of speech and the various other freedoms this country espouses.  And yet here we are in 2012, trying to fend off censorship, assault on common sense, and archaic views that would take us back to the dark ages.  Seriously, it's time for the american populace to wake up.  Also, this is no time for celebration.  Just because MPAA lost this round doesn't mean they've lost steam.  On the contrary.  They will re-formulate the bill and keep shoving it down someone's throat and until they cry 'uncle' or shove enough $$$ in front of them to change their mind.    They've got deep pockets, I'm sure it will not hurt their wallet much.

#36 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/20/technology...PIPA_postponed/

Don't know how accurate this story or the foxnews story Tushman posted is, but here it is.

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#37 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (ross549 @ Jan 20 2012, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't know how accurate this story or the foxnews story Tushman posted is, but here it is.

Adam

I didn't post the story/link for the Fox news article.  It was Corrine.

#38 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

Aryeh's article on the ESET ThreatBlog ESET researchers on Megaupload, Anonymous, DOJ.
Posted Image

#39 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Tushman @ Jan 20 2012, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't post the story/link for the Fox news article.  It was Corrine.

Whoops!

#40 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-57362437...verybody-loses/

#41 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

good point, ross.

Posted Image

#42 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,009 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

Well, since Anonymous is a leaderless (non)organization, it's difficult to place blame. That's the idea, though. I support Anonymous in quite a few of their endeavors, but not all. I think that's the way it is for most folks. While I wish that they would use a bit more restraint and try to stay on the moral high ground, it doesn't always work that way. Anonymous is like a bulldozer to weed your garden. You get rid of the weeds, but you lose most of your garden in the process.

sad.gif

Posted Image

#43 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,076 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Jan 22 2012, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, since Anonymous is a leaderless (non)organization, it's difficult to place blame. That's the idea, though. I support Anonymous in quite a few of their endeavors, but not all. I think that's the way it is for most folks. While I wish that they would use a bit more restraint and try to stay on the moral high ground, it doesn't always work that way. Anonymous is like a bulldozer to weed your garden. You get rid of the weeds, but you lose most of your garden in the process.

sad.gif

thumbsup.gif

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#44 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:49 AM

The other question that needs to be asked......

Would the media companies and government understand anything other than that same bulldozer?

Adam

#45 ONLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (ross549 @ Jan 23 2012, 05:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would the media companies and government understand anything other than that same bulldozer?

Adam

No. They would not. We have proof of that throughout the years. They are so sick and twisted with their own 'need' for money, power and control that they will sacrifice everything and everyone to get what they want. Including the Freedom and Liberty fought so long and hard in this country.

So, no, I personally do not think they will understand anything other than that same bulldozer unfortunately.

Of course, that is just my opinion.

I hate to see our country being sold out like this!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#46 ONLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

And to think that SOPA or PIPA will be needed to do what they want would be ludicrous. They already have laws in place to do it. They just want a more painless streamlined way (for them) to do it.

Our tax dollars are already policing copyright for good or for bad. And this is mostly bad when it steals freedom and liberty from real citizens (not corps) in our country.

But, even if they hadn't done these things. It wouldn't matter  if ACTA is approved:

Forget SOPA, Europe is about to ratify its bigger brother ACTA - Silicon Republic:

ust as the SOPA and PIPA debate winds down in the US, the European Union is later this week set to work on ratifying a global intellectual property enforcement treaty: the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement.

European countries, including Ireland, will later this week join the US, Australia, Korea, New Zealand, Mexico, Jordan, Morocco, Singapore, the United Arab Emirates and Canada in supporting ACTA.

According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), ostensibly the agreement deals primarily with counterfeit physical goods, such as medicine.

However, it will in actual fact have broader scope and in particular will deal with new tools targeting "internet distribution and information technology."

More in the article
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#47 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,076 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

It seems like everyday it gets worse and worse  thumbdown.gif

#48 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,009 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (ross549 @ Jan 23 2012, 04:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Adam

Darn good point... and probably not.  hmm.gif

Posted Image

#49 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,009 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (securitybreach @ Jan 23 2012, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems like everyday it gets worse and worse  thumbdown.gif

Off topic slightly, but not much...

I read somewhere yesterday that the U.S. is now planning on using drone devices to monitor illegal aliens, drug runners, and illegal grow farms. Hmm? What's it going to be next for the growing Police State. Reminds me of Belltower and the other private mercenary police forces in Deus Ex HR. sad.gif

Posted Image

#50 OFFLINE   patio

patio

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

More ACTA...

Here...

0 user(s) are reading this topic