31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SueD

SueD

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

I've had 3 of these calls from "Microsoft" in the past 2 weeks. Thought I'd have some fun when the last call came in last night."Hello Mrs. D., I'm calling on behalf of Microsoft""Uh-huh", I said."I'd like to discuss your Windows with you...""I like blinds on mine""Excuse me?""Blinds. I like blinds on mine. That way I can let just the right amount of light into the room and it doesn't wash out the picture on my TV.""No madam, I mean your the operating system""I'm not a doctor""Excuse me?""I'm not a doctor so I can't operate""No madam, the Windows operating system""I've also got curtains over my blinds. It frames the windows so nicely!""Mrs. D., I wish to talk to you about your computer""I use Linux...will that be a problem?"ClickSome people just have no sense of humor.
Sue
Registered Linux User #433538
A life? Cool! Where can I download one of those?

#2 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:37 PM

:">
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#3 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

Love that. I thought I'd mention linux but I prefer your way better. Keep the idiot on the phone longer talking about windows. We have vinyl so we don't have to paint them.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   SueD

SueD

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

Liz, I did mention Linux the first 2 calls I got but the guys both thanked me for my time then hung up. This one didn't bother to be that polite. :PThere have been 2 different calls from "Microsoft" happening here for several months...both scams. One is an offer to upgrade XP to Win7 for only $99 (obviously they want your CC number) while the other one tells you there's a potential security problem and ask to access your computer remotely.It saddens me to think how many people are getting suckered by this.
Sue

#5 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:19 PM

It's a shame you can't backtrace those calls and tip off the authorities.You know the people they are suckering are likely least able to afford it.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#6 OFFLINE   Urmas

Urmas

GUI Penguin

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:37 AM

View PostSueD, on Aug 18 2011, 01:45 AM, said:

... there's a potential security...
I changed ISP last week. The new ISP has a shop nearby, so I decided to honour their premises with my presence (I wanted to change the cable modem to a model better suited for my needs and check out their mobile broadband modem dongle selection).The lady asks, "... and would you like to have 'our' security software [for Windows], the first six months will be without any charge?"Me: "No thankee Ma'am, I am using Linux only."The lady (producing a Penguin necklace from under her shirt): "A very wise choice indeed."Life has its moments.   :">

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   SueD

SueD

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:42 AM

View Postamenditman, on Aug 17 2011, 09:19 PM, said:

You know the people they are suckering are likely least able to afford it.
So true.LOL @ Urmas
Sue

#8 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

Sad but likely true, amenditman! Awesome, Urmas! :thumbsup:Penguin necklace? Like this one?Tux Penguin Necklace (round or square versions, Sterling Silver) at Zazzle
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#9 OFFLINE   Urmas

Urmas

GUI Penguin

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

Nope. A li'l thingy... looked a lot like this one:Posted Image :">

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:42 AM

That is awesome Sue  :"> :thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#11 OFFLINE   SueD

SueD

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

Telemarketers really shouldn't mess with me. This isn't the first one I've pranked and it won't be the last. :">
Sue

#12 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

View PostUrmas, on Aug 18 2011, 10:10 AM, said:

Nope. A li'l thingy... looked a lot like this one:Posted Image :">
Cute! :thumbsup:I really like that one over at Zazzle ... all except for the price. ;(I was amazed at the number of results to a Google search on penguin tux necklace...738,000 results.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

Love it, Sue!  Absolutely brilliant.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#14 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

View PostCorrine, on Aug 18 2011, 03:08 PM, said:

Love it, Sue!  Absolutely brilliant.
Yes!  <_<
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

lol, sue!  good job.neat, urmas!
Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   colin.p

colin.p

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:33 AM

I, recently, have been getting phone calls from someone in India (at least it sounds like an Indian person talking) saying they are Microsoft Certified and that they are calling because I might have a virus or some kind of malware on my computer. The first couple of times, I brushed them off, telling them I don't use windows, I use linux (ubuntu actually). After a few times, I got another call saying to go to teamviewer.com (a legitimate site) to download a program. It turns out that the program is a remote desktop viewer, that will allow someone to control my computer, and it will also run on linux (they must cross reference previous attempts). So I played along. Now I used to do tech-support for 4 years, so I pretended to be as dumb as some of the folks that I used to get and had him on the line for a half hour. All the while he was trying to get me to download this teamviewer program. I said it wouldn't download, then wouldn't install, then BSOD etc. After a half hour, I almost had him in tears (I really played up the stupidity scale) and he muttered something in whatever language and hung up.
Colin
Registered Linux User #318277
The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 25648

#17 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:42 AM

Way to go Colin!   :thumbsup:
Liz
Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

lol!  good job, colin!
Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   SueD

SueD

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

Colin, I'm just an hour east down the 401 from you. I know several people between Alexandria, Cornwall and Ottawa who've gotten these calls. They must have collected all the phone books between here and there.LOLI love how you handled him. Maybe I'll steal it for my next "victim" :">
Sue

#20 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

When you can get tech support to mutter an expletive and hang up on you, you know you have done a great job!  ;)
Liz
Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   colin.p

colin.p

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:08 PM

I've always wanted to try this one out, by Bob and Tom . That always cracks me up.
Colin
Registered Linux User #318277
The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 25648

#22 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:05 AM

nice.  i'll have to use that.  lol!
Posted Image

#23 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

You just topped 'best laugh of the week', edging out the great 'Mt. Buttmore' photoshop. :clap:

View Postcolin.p, on Aug 30 2011, 10:08 PM, said:

I've always wanted to try this one out, by Bob and Tom . That always cracks me up.

Special Limited Edition Cluttermaster 2007 with direct air cooling system.
"ClutterLabs" --open hardware for open software" .......... Registered Linux User 446867

("It takes an entire village to raise a child...")
"It takes only one bulldozer to raze an entire village..."
"Hey, Fred- isn't that your kid driving that bulldozer?"

In loving memory of Bruno Knaapen of Amsterdam, who shared
his love of Linux, and thereby made the world a better place...

#24 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:00 AM

Thanks SueD and Urmas for the good laugh. I really needed one at the moment.Folk here including myself have been getting these calls too. :clap:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:46 AM

Priceless, Urmas! :hysterical:

View PostUrmas, on Aug 18 2011, 05:37 AM, said:

I changed ISP last week. The new ISP has a shop nearby, so I decided to honour their premises with my presence (I wanted to change the cable modem to a model better suited for my needs and check out their mobile broadband modem dongle selection).The lady asks, "... and would you like to have 'our' security software [for Windows], the first six months will be without any charge?"Me: "No thankee Ma'am, I am using Linux only."The lady (producing a Penguin necklace from under her shirt): "A very wise choice indeed."Life has its moments.   :P

Special Limited Edition Cluttermaster 2007 with direct air cooling system.
"ClutterLabs" --open hardware for open software" .......... Registered Linux User 446867

("It takes an entire village to raise a child...")
"It takes only one bulldozer to raze an entire village..."
"Hey, Fred- isn't that your kid driving that bulldozer?"

In loving memory of Bruno Knaapen of Amsterdam, who shared
his love of Linux, and thereby made the world a better place...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users