• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

After studying the batteries in several MacBooks, MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs, security researcher Charlie Miller found that Apple laptop microcontroller chips are shipped with default passwords that, once discovered, can be used as a hiding spot for malware as well as a conduit for disabling the battery and even blowing it up."These batteries just aren't designed with the idea that people will mess with them," Miller told Forbes. "What I'm showing is that it's possible to use them to do something really bad."
Complete article at Apple MacBook Batteries Vulnerable to Malware, Destruction
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#2 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

It strikes me that you'd need a high level of access to the machine before you could make adjustments n the battery's microcontroller, even with the password.  Since the new Mas OS flavors are essentially Linux versions, that'd mean either physical access to the machine or administrator access during a current live session.Since most laptops aren't being run 24/7 and are being actually watched a large part of the time while running, I'd think the risk here is more theoretical than menacing.  Still in all, forewarned is forearmed.  Thanks for posting the link!
Think! It's patriotic!
Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson, 1816
  Registered Linux User: 526339 , Check out The Bodhi Guide To Enlightenment

#3 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

View PostChipDoc, on Jul 24 2011, 01:05 AM, said:

Since most laptops aren't being run 24/7 and are being actually watched a large part of the time while running, I'd think the risk here is more theoretical than menacing.
All malware threats are theoretical until you happen to be the unlucky person that gets infected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users