17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:09 AM

I read about her passing on Fred Langa's blog this morning.She of Karen's Power Tools fame and a writer for Windows Magazine, passed away Tuesday, April 12th. I subscribed to her Power Tools Newsletter, and the last one I received was in March of last year, and I knew she was having health problems. She had a way of writing as though she was addressing you personally. Karen S. Kenworthy Obit. :hysterical:
Mac
"Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks,
it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#2 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

RIP Karen! One of the group from the old WinMag days... sorry to hear about her passing.Hopefully her family will keep her Karen's PowerTools site up.She has some great tools that worked very well. And they all are compatible with Windows 7 as well as previous versions of Windows.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#3 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

Speaking of WinMag ... here's an article by Karen Kenworthy about WinMag's demise:

Winmag.comA lot of people have written and expressed sadness over the passing of Winmag.com. It's true, the site is closing, and all but a handful of employees have been laid off. While I was never an employee of Winmag.com or its predecessor (Windows Magazine), I did contribute to both publications continuously for nine years. It was a big part of my life, and I miss it. Apparently many of you do too.
More on the page...
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#4 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

Sad to hear.  I used her tools also.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#5 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:13 AM

Here's the link to Fred Langa's Posterous posting about Karen's passing:RIP Karen Kenworthy:

Karen Kenworthy wrote a very popular column for Windows Magazine, when I was there. She was as good a programmer (I still use some of her "Karenware" software today) as she was a wordsmith (her readers loved her stuff). I have none but positive memories of working with Karen.
Fred received an email from Karen's brother.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

There's also a topic in WindowsSecrets Lounge about it too:What happened to Karen Kenworthy?
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Scot

Scot

Administrator

• Forum Admins
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

Very sad. Karen was an institution. I worked with her at Windows Magazine and we all loved her. She will be missed!-- Scot
Scot Finnie, Business & Technology Writer, Editor (that's me in the upper left corner)

#8 OFFLINE   frapper

frapper

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

Sad to hear. I always read her columns in Windows Mag and used many of her unique utilities over the years. RIP.
Posted Image
Norm
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x3
USAF - '67-'71
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

RIP Karen. I read her articles at WinMag and all of our windows computers here have at least one of her programs on them.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

Was she ill? Did she have cancer?  I didn't use any of her utilities but I know her tools were popular.  RIP Karen.

#11 OFFLINE   Fuddster

Fuddster

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

I always enjoyed reading Karen's articles and using her programs. She will be missed.
MAXIM 41: "Do you have a backup?" means " I can't fix this."

Posted Image

The Rute Cellar | Fuddster on Twitter

#12 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

WOW! I remember Karen. This is very sad. 59 years old is waaaay too young to be dying. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

RIP, Karen. Your tools were very useful in my old Windows days and your newsletter was often a source of feelgood and inspiration.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#14 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:59 AM

wow.very sad indeed.to this day, i use many karenware tools.may she rest in peace.my condolences to her family and close friends.
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

e-mail to newsletter subscribers:

Dear Friends, I suspect that many of you have noticed that the last issue of Karenİs Power Tools Newsletter was dated March 17, 2010, and you may have been anxiously awaiting another. It is with great sadness that I write to tell you of Karenİs death on April 12, 2011, after a long struggle with several debilitations, including diabetes. I know that Karen touched many of you with her kindness, wit, creativity and encouragement. She was a loving daughter, sister, aunt and friend. And she was a pretty darned good programmer, too. We are deeply grieving her loss. For now, Karenİs server is still running, the programs she has written can still be downloaded, and donations can still be made through the website. We are also working to fill all CD orders that have been submitted or mailed. It is difficult to make business decisions while grieving. So, at this point, I cannot say what will be the future of KarenWare.com, except to say that we will certainly continue Karenİs commitment to safeguard your privacy as shown at the Privacy link of KarenWare.com. Many of you have already written many kinds words of condolence and comfort. Please know that we greatly appreciate you. If you care to make a contribution in her honor, she was a long-time supporter of The Dohnavur Fellowship, a special childrenİs ministry in southern India. You can learn more about them at www.DohnavurFellowship.org. All we ask is that you remember her whenever you take the case off of your computer, contemplate removing entries from your Windows Registry, listen to Bob Wills or Riders in the Sky, or wave and say İHi!İ to anyone on the İnet. May God richly bless you, as He has all those who knew Karen. Bill Kenworthy Karenİs brother

Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#16 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Posting Prodigy

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:06 AM

Rest in peace, Ms. Kenworthy.
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP 2004.1-2018.6 [Cloud and Datacenter Management]

(previously Networking, Windows, Windows for Devices and IT)
FacebookGoogle+ personal blogpersonal websiteTwitter work blog

#17 OFFLINE   NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

very sad she was a very nice person and i like many others will miss her   :w00t:

#18 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

thanks for posting that, corrine.(tears well up.)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users