• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:13 PM

Well, when I went to bed last night, my system was fine. When I pushed the on button this AM I got a big surprise... no display. :( What the heck is going on here? OK.I could hear the drives going through their initiation. Once that finished, I knew I was at a command line in Slackware even though I couldn't see it. I entered my username/password and shut the system down. I then disconnected my DVI cable from my PCI-e vid card and connected the old VGA cable from my onboard graphics. I had a display now. Hmm... vid card take poop?No. It wasn't that simple. After tinkering, cussing, wiggling, etc. I found that if I pressed the card into the PCI-e slot with a bit more force, the video display worked. If I slid the tower back into its usual position. The display was gone again. Arrrrrrrrrgh! Obviously a bad connection in the PCI-e socket for some reason... cat hair, dust, etc.I took the unit outside to the shop (always a sign of something serious) and completely removed the mobo from the tower case. I cleaned it very thoroughly and then tested again. The video was still intermittent. I inspected the socket more closely (magnifier light) and determined that the contacts were dirty. I emery clothed them. That ain't as easy as it sound. I washed them with contact cleaner and blew them off with compressed air.I just now got it all reassembled and back on the desk in my front room. It seems to be happy again. When I come in here to start it up tomorrow morning, that will be the test, for sure.Man! I sure don't have patience for this carp anymore. I guess I just want things to WORK now that I'm into my dotage. ;)Off I go...Oh, screenshot? What the hey? Why not?Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

Gotta love hardware! NOT! :( B) :hysterical:   Glad you got it fixed (or at least we hope so -- as you say, tomorrow morning will tell the tale, but it sounds like you got it). :thumbup:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#3 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

It's a good thing, too... cuz I was getting into the dancing mood toward the end of that project. :(
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Feb 9 2011, 07:32 PM, said:

It's a good thing, too... cuz I was getting into the dancing mood toward the end of that project. :)
Uh oh...  I remember what happened the last time you got in a dancing mood! Posted Image
Think! It's patriotic!
Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson, 1816
  Registered Linux User: 526339 , Check out The Bodhi Guide To Enlightenment

#5 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

Precisely.  :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Frank Golden

Frank Golden

Migrant Nuclear Worker

• Forum MVP
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Feb 10 2011, 09:32 AM, said:

Precisely.  :thumbsup:
What ever you do don't dance on your new lappy, you might break it! :)
Frank Golden

Acer Aspire as5672WLMi, Core 2 Duo Merom (T7200/2.0 GHz) Centrino, 500 GB Seagate Momentus 7200 rpm (SATA) HDD,   4 GB Corsair DDR2-PC5300 ram, ATi Radeon X1400 (128 MB built-in vram/384 MB system ram),
Win 7 Home Premium | Ubuntu 10.04 LTS  & Ultimate Edition 2.8 | Mandriva 2010.2 Gnome | PCLinuxOS 2010 Gnome & KDE ]
Registered Linux User #423741
Registered Ubuntu User # 6235

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke

#7 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:37 AM

View PostFrank Golden, on Feb 14 2011, 03:08 PM, said:

What ever you do don't dance on your new lappy, you might break it! :)
The new lappy hasn't annoyed him too greatly... yet!  :blink:
Think! It's patriotic!
Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson, 1816
  Registered Linux User: 526339 , Check out The Bodhi Guide To Enlightenment

#8 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

NEVER! I LOVE my lappy! :whistling:
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic