Help choosing/finding motherboard

telecomguy9

Hi everyone. I have a friend who has this PC - HP Pavilion a1214n Desktop PC "Product Specs". The stock mobo is dead so we had the idea of replacing it. These guys have very limited funds so we're trying to find just a mobo that will work with his processor and memory. The problem is that the processor and memory are all a few years old and I'm not finding any mobo's that say they specifically support either his PC2-3200 memory or his Pentium 4 630 socket 775 processor. Everything I find says it's the right slot for the processor but the lowest type of processor it says it supports is usually something like Pentium D. Here's an example mobo: BioStar LGA 775 mobo.Can you tell me if the memory he's using now would work in a mobo that takes DDR 800 MHz and above and if the mobo above would take his processor?

I cannot recommend too strongly that you stay away from used motherboards. You can't tell if they work until you have them all set up and the price difference isn't that great. Just bite the bullet and buy it new. That way, if it's DOA, there's at least a clear return path.

Guest LilBambi
I cannot recommend too strongly that you stay away from used motherboards. You can't tell if they work until you have them all set up and the price difference isn't that great. Just bite the bullet and buy it new. That way, if it's DOA, there's at least a clear return path.
Yep, that's why I mentioned getting them from Mom and Pop shops since you can make sure you can take it back if it doesn't work. :hysterical:

Hi everyone. I have a friend who has this PC - HP Pavilion a1214n Desktop PC "Product Specs". The stock mobo is dead so we had the idea of replacing it. These guys have very limited funds so we're trying to find just a mobo that will work with his processor and memory. The problem is that the processor and memory are all a few years old and I'm not finding any mobo's that say they specifically support either his PC2-3200 memory or his Pentium 4 630 socket 775 processor. Everything I find says it's the right slot for the processor but the lowest type of processor it says it supports is usually something like Pentium D. Here's an example mobo: BioStar LGA 775 mobo.Can you tell me if the memory he's using now would work in a mobo that takes DDR 800 MHz and above and if the mobo above would take his processor?
That Biostar motherboard will indeed support DDR2 PC 3200 (not DDR) memory, but there is a serious problem. The Pentium 4 is incompatible with that Biostar motherboard you are considering.The G31 chipset only supports dual-core processors (Core 2 Duo / Pentium D / Celeron D). This is clearly stated on New Egg's product description specs. Choosing a retail motherboard for an OEM system is not always easy. Besides choosing a motherboard that is compatible with your setup, you're going to have to make sure the motherboard layout for the PS/2; USB; LAN connections match the same cut-out on the back of the HP. In my experience, HP's case design (in most instances) especially PCs from that generation, do not have a removal metal back plate cover.It would be worth checking with some of your local PC shops to see if they have any compatible motherboards. I have a hunch it will be difficult to find any retailers that carry a suitable motherboard.====================Disregard. I just saw the links in Bambi's posting. I would recommend checking out those sites for further consideration. In general, I would stay away from Biostar motherboards. I know your friend is working with a limited funds, but Biostar is the "cheapest" of the cheapest. You get what you pay for. Edited by Tushman

Hi,Being an HP computer the Windows software is considered an OEM version..I went thru this with my Daughters Asus computer when the MB went bad..The computer tech had to follow the OEM guidlines.. here's a snipit of info.. From on-line search...

p://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/Public/sblicense/English_SB_License.pdf In general, OEM software may not be transferred from one system to another system. However, the computer system can certainly be updated with new components without the requirement of a new software license. The only exception to this is the motherboard 1. If the motherboard is replaced 2, the computer system is deemed "new" and a new license would be required. Other PC components may be upgraded, including a hard drive. Though if the hard drive 3 is replaced/upgraded, the operating system must first be removed from the old hard drive. To restate: the operating system is "married" to the computer system on which it is originally installed.
This is one reason I like to purchase retail versions rather than OEM'sVery foggy OEM rules written by teams of MS Lawyers :hysterical: jolphil Edited by jolphil

Guest LilBambi

It really can get very convoluted.On the other hand, as scary as the prospect might seem, and I cringe every time reactivation takes place due to hardware changes, usually, it goes well.Regarding motherboard changes, I think that is why so many people (including me) try to replace OEM motherboard with a 'new' of the same exact model for that OEM computer. It's not always possible as the computer gets older though.

Hi,Being an HP computer the Windows software is considered an OEM version..I went thru this with my Daughters Asus computer when the MB went bad..The computer tech had to follow the OEM guidlines.. here's a snipit of info.. From on-line search...
p://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/Public/sblicense/English_SB_License.pdfIn general, OEM software may not be transferred from one system to another system. However, the computer system can certainly be updated with new components without the requirement of a new software license. The only exception to this is the motherboard 1. If the motherboard is replaced 2, the computer system is deemed "new" and a new license would be required. Other PC components may be upgraded, including a hard drive. Though if the hard drive 3 is replaced/upgraded, the operating system must first be removed from the old hard drive. To restate: the operating system is "married" to the computer system on which it is originally installed.
This is one reason I like to purchase retail versions rather than OEM'sVery foggy OEM rules written by teams of MS Lawyers :thumbup: jolphil
Jolphil, I found no such verbage in the PDF article you linked to. Are you sure that you posted the correct link?I've rarely ever had problems using the same Windows OS license - even for computers where the motherboard was replaced. In the store that I worked at, we had copies of WinXP (OEM version) that we used to re-install the operating system. Using the same license key that came with the computer (whether it was a retail purchase or not) was never an issue. Edited by Tushman

Jolphil, I found no such verbage in the PDF article you linked to. Are you sure that you posted the correct link?
My appologies as that was not the correct page I read it from here and this is the correct page (here)Here is the original MS article that I read and sent to the repair shop that I discussed in my Daughters case..The shop then replaced the MB with a like kind from the OEM manufacturer ..Particularly note the "More Information" section on this MS document.. (here) Again,Sorry for the mis information in my above post.. :thumbup: jolphil