• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:28 AM

I have seen several posts recently referring to great resources for those learning web design.  I invite you to drop your favorites here so there is a common thread.  I am always on the look-out for good resources to use in the classroom.  :teehee:
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#2 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:31 AM

One of the best ways (IMO) of learning HTML basics is having someone installa CMS (content management system) on your host, and that way you have a fully functional site.  Then you can play with HTML goodies within announcments, user created pages and such, and still have your site operational.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 11:06 AM

Good post. Here are some of mine:Eric Meyer's CSS stuffJeffrey Zeldman's Blog always points to more creative and interesting linksCSS Zen Garden for those who want to experience the wonders of CSS in all its beauty and creative potentialA List Apart has great how-tos and commentaries by some of the leading web designers in North AmericaDive Into Mark for web accessibilityTantek C.'s Box Model HackNew York Public Library Style GuideThe Web Standards ProjectNetscape's DevEdgeThe Layout Reservoir provides CSS layouts for stealingCSS Panic Guide for those who are overwhelmed by CSS

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 11:23 AM

Great List Peachy.I had to set a whole new set of bookmarks just for those!  :)
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#5 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 07:47 PM

My best adice for people new to web design, is to learn the actually HTML. It's really not that hard. Once you know it, you'll be so glad you do!For a great HTML editor, HTML-Kit.My favorite site to learn HTML is LissaExplains.com, but there are TONS of sites out there.Once you've got HTML down, go for CSS!!!

#6 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,823 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:03 PM

All great links here already!Will have to go hunt up some more! LOL!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#7 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:26 PM

Will have to go hunt up some more! LOL!
I've probably got over a hundred in windows. Next time i boot into windows i'll have to go though them and see if there are any good enough to post B)

#8 OFFLINE   nilson

nilson

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:34 PM

HTMlite - http://www.htmlite.com/IMO, the best text editor around, supports publishing to FTP, syntax highlighting, and more:Crimson Editor - http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

#9 OFFLINE   havnblast

havnblast

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 02:56 AM

Looks nice Nilson - looks a lot like Edit Plus 2, I will give it a try.

#10 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,054 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 09:05 PM

...and don't forget   Evrsoft's FirstPage 2000  which, incidently, for the past 2 years has been promising to release version 2001, um, 2002, no, um, version 2003, any day now!but it is a pretty good editor  :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Eric Legge

Eric Legge

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 08:22 AM

This is an excellent resource - http://www.hotwired....s.com/webmonkeyEric,http://www.legge40.f...BuyerBeware.htm

#12 Guest_norealm_*

Guest_norealm_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2003 - 05:08 PM

W3Schools is a great site.

#13 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,054 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 08:32 PM

Here's the scoop, straight from the horse's mouth:From the W3C  (the arbitrators of the web...)  there's a lot more than what's listed below at the W3C site... just browsing the topics will give you an idea of the technologies available to produce web pages.Cascading Style Sheet Editors (list of)List of CSS Tutorials / BooksNice (very unique) CSS SamplesCSS-Validator (Downloadable Utility)HTML 4.01 how to - you'll have to read a bunch to navigate through this, but scroll down and you'll see what you're looking for.
Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 12:49 PM

IMO, the best text editor around, supports publishing to FTP, syntax highlighting, and more:Crimson Editor - http://www.crimsoneditor.com/
I've also used Crimson Editor and would recommend it B) I like it because it is simple and doesn't really have the tools found in other editors like HTML-Kit etc.Editors like HTML-Kit are great for webdesign, I like Crimson editor for other languages like Perl etc.

#15 OFFLINE   volunteer

volunteer

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:13 AM

There are a lot of free programmer's tools located  here.  It has editors, utilities, compilers, source code/libraries, and documentation. It even has webmaster resources, too.  All are free.  :)

#16 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 01:08 PM

There are a lot of free programmer's tools located here. It has editors, utilities, compilers, source code/libraries, and documentation. It even has webmaster resources, too. All are free.
wow! tons of links there. Thanks  B)

#17 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:58 PM

I can honestly say that I learned 50% of all my HTML knowledge from http://www.htmlgoodies.com/A very informative site and *perfect* for beginners.

#18 OFFLINE   littlebone

littlebone

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 09:56 PM

I'm partial to 4 Guys From Rolla for ASP and ASP.Net development.And my additional bookmarks are:

#19 OFFLINE   cantthinkofanickname

cantthinkofanickname

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:41 PM

Nowadays a website is usually interactive to some extent and requires a database. So if you're not a PHP programmer install a CMS. I use Joomla! but I think for choice Drupal may be a close 2nd. MHOFWIW.If you make websites do consider accessibility. Google "accessible websites" to research this subject.

Edited by cantthinkofanickname, 25 April 2008 - 02:43 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

Can'tIt's been just a bit of a time since this thread was last visited.  We are now using Moodle to set up our academic web sites.  We will be offering much of our course offerings next year based upon Moodle.  Moodle is open source to boot.  We sure prefer it to Drupal around my area.
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users