#51 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Nov 2 2010, 04:07 PM, said:

I have friends crying the blues about their $400/month bills. I'd FREAK OUT if I ever got an electric bill like that!
Speaking as one of those friends with the $400/month electric bill, I should point out that there's an upside to it too.  For one, I get to stay cool in the blazing sun of a Florida afternoon.  Eric's place sits under nice tall trees.  Mine is almost entirely exposed to the summer sun.But I mentioned an upside and here it is - my electric bill goes down to about $60/month when winter gets here.  It's like a Christmas present from TECO!And it's only $400 one or maybe two months.  Most of the time it hangs around $150-$250The cost is almost entirely Air Conditioning, which runs from March through November.
Think! It's patriotic!
Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson, 1816
  Registered Linux User: 526339 , Check out The Bodhi Guide To Enlightenment

#52 OFFLINE   BarryB

BarryB

Prince Distro

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

Eric, In my house it doesn't matter what really drives the bill up...it's me and my computers fault..(even when they are turned off) I haven't really figured the thought process out..   :(   But we do the alternate high electric in summer and high gas in winter bills.  What hurts us ( in the summer)is almost 24/7 washing and drying( we have 2 adults plus 5 kids still at home)...AC..and that freaking pool that everyone wants but I do all the work..stuff.  (sorry my little rant...LOL)
Barry

Right when you think you know the answers..somebody goes and changes the questions
Registered Linux user #303103

#53 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

View PostBarryB, on Nov 3 2010, 04:37 PM, said:

Eric, In my house it doesn't matter what really drives the bill up...it's me and my computers fault..(even when they are turned off) I haven't really figured the thought process out..   :(   But we do the alternate high electric in summer and high gas in winter bills.  What hurts us ( in the summer)is almost 24/7 washing and drying( we have 2 adults plus 5 kids still at home)...AC..and that freaking pool that everyone wants but I do all the work..stuff.  (sorry my little rant...LOL)
You need a couple of these to help with the summer bills.http://www.diytools....ashing-line.asp :thumbsup:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#54 ONLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,016 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

5 kids? I'd just shoot myself. :)

Posted Image

Have a creepy little Halloween!

#55 OFFLINE   BarryB

BarryB

Prince Distro

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hey at least the older ones are out in the world now...
Barry

Right when you think you know the answers..somebody goes and changes the questions

#56 ONLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,016 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

Something to look forward to with the last five parasi... er, I mean kids. :)

Posted Image

#57 OFFLINE   BarryB

BarryB

Prince Distro

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:23 PM

Yeah, now if they'd stop returning....
Barry

#58 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Posting Prodigy

• Forum MVP
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:39 PM

View PostBarryB, on Nov 3 2010, 08:23 PM, said:

Yeah, now if they'd stop returning....
BarryB, I'm sorry to be the bearer of this news.THEY NEVER STOP RETURNING!  AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#59 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:22 PM

View Postamenditman, on Nov 3 2010, 10:39 PM, said:

THEY NEVER STOP RETURNING!  AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Sure they do.  It's called growing up.  It'll happen faster as the economy starts to pick back up again too.
Think! It's patriotic!
Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson, 1816

#60 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Posting Prodigy

• Forum MVP
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

View PostChipDoc, on Nov 3 2010, 11:22 PM, said:

Sure they do.  It's called growing up.  It'll happen faster as the economy starts to pick back up again too.
Do you have a crystal ball? Please tell me when.I can't wait for my 23 YO and her hubby to leave, again.

REGLUE

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#61 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:44 PM

It doesn't take a crystal ball to know that they're likely as tired of being there as you are of hosting them... again.  But in the current economy it's tough to gather enough filthy lucre to get away.  But one thing I can tell you for sure about the economy - it WILL change.  We seem to be pretty near the bottom of the cycle at this point, so it'll gradually swing back up again and they'll be out of your hair.Also Sprach Chipathustra!  :)
Think! It's patriotic!
Thomas Jefferson, 1816

#62 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Posting Prodigy

• Forum MVP
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:59 PM

View PostChipDoc, on Nov 3 2010, 11:44 PM, said:

Also Sprach Chipathustra!  :)
+2001   :hysterical:

Edited by amenditman, 04 November 2010 - 12:00 AM.

REGLUE

www.reglue.org

#63 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:27 AM

I saw that movie in its first run way back in 1968 and it totally blew me away.  Though I'd been a SciFi guy for years, there was something really moving about being able to SEE it like that.  It really opened up my mind and in many ways shaped my outlook to this day.
Think! It's patriotic!
Thomas Jefferson, 1816

#64 ONLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,016 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:13 PM

Alright already. Get back on topic. Sheeesh! :(

Posted Image

#65 OFFLINE   Urmas

Urmas

GUI Penguin

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:25 PM

Topic? There was a topic?   :( Right. The topic: You have a modem with router capabilities, you have two computers successfully connected to the modem/router... now, if we were talking about engines, this would be, "we have combustion, we have flammable fuel, we have a spark... it MUST start".One topic re-railed ľUrmas :P

Posted Image

#66 ONLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,016 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

Vroooom!Posted Image

Posted Image

#67 OFFLINE   Urmas

Urmas

GUI Penguin

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

:( :P :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:     Ah, the nostalgia...

Posted Image

#68 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Posting Prodigy

• Forum MVP
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:55 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Nov 4 2010, 01:13 PM, said:

Alright already. Get back on topic. Sheeesh! :unsure:
You're just jealous, you young whippersnapper. We got to see it in it's full Kubrick/Clarke glory, not all washed out on TV.

REGLUE

www.reglue.org

#69 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

View Postamenditman, on Nov 4 2010, 08:55 PM, said:

You're just jealous, you young whippersnapper. We got to see it in it's full Kubrick/Clarke glory, not all washed out on TV.
It's not at all bad on my widescreen at home, but it sure was magnificent on the big screen in the theater in 1968.  Of course the bleeding edge was 4-bit computers back then...
Think! It's patriotic!
Thomas Jefferson, 1816

#70 ONLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,016 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

So, with my ericsbane05 (main system), ericslaptop01, ericsshop02, and jenslaptop all up and running these days, I considered trying to get that file/printer sharing via my router going again. After an hour or so worth of searching and reading, I've decided that it's still not worth all the trouble. Sadly, this is one thing that MS Windows has made really easy for the user. In Linux, not so much... ssh, samba, nfs, static IPs, port forwarding, etc. YIKES! I have a headache now.

Posted Image

#71 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,083 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

Well if they all run Linux, it is easy to ssh into your machines via separate ports on the router. And if you need the gui to transfer files, gftp is a great ssh/ftp FM client
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/Archlinux G+/Configs/PGP Key π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#72 ONLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,016 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Can I still ssh without having static IPs and port forwarding (to avoid the router's firewall), etc?

Posted Image

#73 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,083 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Mar 16 2012, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I still ssh without having static IPs and port forwarding (to avoid the router's firewall), etc?

If your router gives you the option of using the mac addy instead of IP address. I do this on all of my machines but I also have a ddwrt compatible router that gives the option.

Why not just give your machines static IPs as it is much easier to do things that way?

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#74 ONLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 19,016 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

I guess I could just give them static IPs, as you suggest. I only really need to do this for file transfers. I'm not too concerned with printer sharing. I can figure printing out later, if need be.

I'm a networking dummy. I need to learn this all from scratch, as I've never utilized it before. I've always only had one system at a time around here to a year or so ago. Now I have 4 running on my network. It's a pain to use external media or thumb drives to transfer small files all the time. It would be nice just to access the files and move them around in real time on the network.

So, what do I need to do?

1. Set static IPs for my devices within my router. Yes?

2. ssh into a remote machine (say ericsshop02) using my main system. Yes?

CODE
$ ssh ericsshop02

Then what? sad.gif

Posted Image

#75 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 16,083 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Mar 16 2012, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess I could just give them static IPs, as you suggest. I only really need to do this for file transfers. I'm not too concerned with printer sharing. I can figure printing out later, if need be.

I'm a networking dummy. I need to learn this all from scratch, as I've never utilized it before. I've always only had one system at a time around here to a year or so ago. Now I have 4 running on my network. It's a pain to use external media or thumb drives to transfer small files all the time. It would be nice just to access the files and move them around in real time on the network.

So, what do I need to do?

1. Set static IPs for my devices within my router. Yes?

2. ssh into a remote machine (say ericsshop02) using my main system. Yes?

CODE
$ ssh ericsshop02

Then what? sad.gif

Well if you want to move files just open up gftp, fill in the details and start moving files. Or you could do this (what I do), https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ssh#Mo...stem_with_SSHFS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users