We Need A Name

Jeber

I am so tired of typing "members" or "posters" every time I want to refer to the fine people that make up the membership here at Scot Finnie's Newsletter Forums. Those terms are too generic, too common, too....oh, I don't know. I just don't like them.So I'm starting a contest.If interested, between now and December 25th, you may PM me with as many suggestions as you have for a name for ourselves. Lockergnome has it's Gnomies. Florida has it's Floridians (Florides?). Alaska has it's Alaskans. Got the idea?You may want to use part or all of Scot's name (Scotties), or any other starting point you choose. It should be as short as possible (Scotfinnians won't get used much). However, all submissions will be considered.I will collect all your suggestions and post them in the moderator lounge. The moderators and administrators will winnow the list down to the best (in our humble opinion) 10 or so, depending on participation, then I'll be posting those in the Water Cooler so all you can decide on the winning entry, which will be announced on January 1st, 2004. After that, we'll use that term to refer to ourselves all the time...won't we?I'm asking for PMs instead of posting in an open forum so there won't be a lot of pre-judging, and so the final entries will be kind of a surprise.A prize has yet to be decided upon, but I can assure you, it won't be grand, or a grand. But just think of the pride of craftmanship you'll feel every time you see your suggestion used in the forums. Think hard. You can do it.So, on your mark...get set...type! Let's find an appropiate name for all these wonderful people who make SFNL forums what they are.

but I can assure you, it won't be grand, or a grand. 
:whistling: milk came outta my nose on that one, Jeb.oh, can i get big time brownie points for suggesting "Jebheads"? :D

well, technically, we could be anything. i know one P2P forum that is called Unite the Cows and they all have cow-like names and/or cow avatars. of course, cows are just silly. i mean, we'd be better off being 'monkeys' with this little guy below our mascot. :thumbsup:

Guest Paracelsus
Please suggest the name to Jeber in a PM...  This is NOT for public discussion yet B)
Apologies for not reading the Initial post more carefully. I retract my suggestion. However...Would it not be a good idea to Lock the thread??

Guest LilBambi

Good idea Paracelsus.Thread locked.Hey, everybody, don't forget to submit suggestions by Private Message (PM) to Jeber. B) Jeber: if you wanted it unlocked. Feel free to change as needed.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick reminder...time is short, If you've got a cool title for our members, NOW is the time to PM me with it. The mod squad is reviewing the submissions during the next two weeks...so hurry with your ideas.And thanks for your participation.

• 3 weeks later...

OK...as promised, here are the suggestions for names:

Scotties – Ross549(even though I first used this term, Ross was 1st to submit it)memesters/meme busters-CluttermagnetScots or Finns? Oh, I guess those are taken!Finnites, Finnies, Finnders, Finnows, Finnors, Finngers , Finnials, Finnords, Finnanceers, Finnches, Finnaglers, Finnalizers, Finncers, Finnks , Finnessers, Finngerlings, Finngerpainters, Finnishers, Finnsters, Finnlanders, Finnan haddies , Finnocchios.-SiebkinsScotties, Scott's, Jeber's Creepers -Sipowicz Scotan-ThunderRiverFinnigeans-PeachyGaeliceans -LilBambiFinnie's Freaks-FreddyHow about The Lettermen? It can be modified to an individual:LettermanLetterwomanLetterpersonLetterpenguin -triggglAffinities, Kindred, Clan - QuintScot's-menScot-itesScotchBriteThe Scot'sscoundralsscarilous Scot's-men-or-"Fearsome hoard of network administrators, be they microsoft, novell, sun or linux and their cohort of fearless web designing scallywags and the large group of pc novices and experts who enjoy coffee, mt dew and donuts" ...erm, I'm sure it could be shortened some... - Temmu
Now I need your comments before I post the winner by popular acclaim on the 1st of January.My own favorite, Scots. Scotties is my second favorite.This thread is open for voting. Hurry, time is short. And may the best nickname win. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if "Scotties", "Lettermen" & "Letterman" can stay on the list. Scotties TM is owned by Kimberly Clark and with the Lettermen/man, one has a pending TM application and the other is registered. Is there a Trademark Attorney around who can advise?Lettermen/man: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc...ch=Submit+QueryScotties: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc...ch=Submit+QueryAssuming we can't use Scotties, I like Finnigeans, Finnies & Scots.However, I must admit there is a certain appeal to "Fearsome hoard of network administrators, be they microsoft, novell, sun or linux and their cohort of fearless web designing scallywags and the large group of pc novices and experts who enjoy coffee, mt dew and donuts"

Hmmm, a new wrinkle. Any "fair use" laws apply here? Anyone willing to admit to being a lawyer (anything you say can and will be used against you in a future post) who can give us some free advice on this? :rolleyes:

I just discovered the searches in the URLs above are expired.

This search session has expired. Please start a search session again by clicking on the TRADEMARK icon, if you wish to continue.
Searches for words can be conducted at http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=sear...tate=bpp4h6.1.1I'm on vacation for a couple of weeks so can't try tracking down one of the TM attorneys at work. I don't know them very well, but expect they'd advise if it was ok or not to use Scotties as a nickname totally unrelated to the usage by Kimberly Clark.

Guest Paracelsus

I should think that, in the case of "Scotties", some degree of "Fair Use" should be applicable. After all...It's not like we're a competing product or service. I believe, legally, most forms of © and Trademark infringement imply that consumers would be "confused" by multiple applications of the same term.Anyone who would confuse this Forum and it's membership (especially we nut clusters congregating 'round the Water Cooler) with any form of paper products...would be lucky to cross a road without being hit by a truck (hopefully!) :rolleyes: Besides...When I was doing a search for the perfect photo of a Scottie to insert in my post advocating the name (which I later removed)...There are hundreds of Websites that use the term Scotties, in the Canine sense. I should think that, if this name were adopted, and God Forbid, any trouble were to ensue as a result...A firm argument could be presented that it is in this affiliation, and the applicable jest with our leaders given name, that we use the term...And not that we think of ourselves a Toilet Tissue...in some perverse desire to confuse the Sanitary Paper Products Consuming Public :D All in All... I vote for SCOTTIESI'm also registering an absentee ballot for LabRat

We may need an attorney, Read the bold print. United States Patent and Trademark Office Home|Site Index|Search|Guides|Contacts|eBusiness|eBiz alerts|News|Help TRADEMARKS Trademarks > Keeping a Trademark Registration Rights in a federally-registered trademark can last indefinitely so long as the owner continues to use the mark to identify its goods or services and files all necessary documentation in the United States Patent and Trademark Office Rights in a federally-registered trademark can last indefinitely so long as the owner continues to use the mark to identify its goods or services and files all necessary documentation in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. > Documents to File In order to keep a registration alive, the owner of the registration must file, at appropriate times,an affidavit or declaration of continued use or excusable nonuse under Section 8 of the Trademark Act (also known as a Section 8 Declaration); and an application for renewal under Section 9 of the Trademark Act (also known as a Section 9 Renewal) In addition, the owner of a registration on the Principal Register may file a Declaration of Incontestability under Section 15 (Section 15 Declaration) of the Trademark Act. >Time Period for Filing Documents Between the 5th and 6th year after registration the owner must file a Declaration of Continued Use or Excusable Nonuse, (also known as a Section 8 Declaration). Failure to file the Section 8 Declaration results in the cancellation of the registration. (There is a 6-month grace period.) >> File §8 Declaration <<After 5 consecutive years of continuous use in commerce following registration the owner may file, but is not required to file, a Declaration of Incontestability under Section 15 of the Trademark Act if, among other things, the mark is registered on the Principal Register.>> File §15 Declaration<< | >> File §8 & §15 Combo << Between the 9th and 10th year after registration, and every 10 years thereafter (for registrations issued or renewed on or after November 16, 1989) the owner must file a Section 8 Declaration and an Application for Renewal under Section 9 of the Trademark Act. Failure to file these documents results in the cancellation and expiration of the registration. (There is a 6-month grace period.)>> File §8 & §9 Combo << >> Frequently Asked Questions about Maintaining a Trademark Registration KEY: =online business system =fees =forms=help =laws/regulations =definition (glossary) Call the Trademark Assistance Center at 703.308.9000 for help on trademark matters. Send questions about USPTO programs and services to the USPTO Contact Center (UCC). You can suggest USPTO webpages or material you would like featured on this section by E-mail to the webmaster@uspto.gov. While we cannot promise to accommodate all requests, your suggestions will be considered and may lead to other improvements on the website. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------|.HOME | INDEX| SEARCH | eBUSINESS | CONTACT US | PRIVACY STATEMENT Last Modified: 11/15/2003 22:05:31

Guest Paracelsus
Rights in a federally-registered trademark can last indefinitely so long as the owner continues to use the mark to identify its goods or services and files all necessary documentation in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Precisely the point I was making in my previous post.The use of the term "Scotties" as a "Nickname" or jestful "Moniker" for members of "Scot Finnie's Newsletter Forums", in no way conflicts... interferes... confuses... nullifies... impinges upon... or otherwise obfuscates the term's usage as it pertains to the Goods or Services of products Trademarked by Kimberly-Clark.

Since I started this (I'm sorry), I decided to check the K-C website. In view of

Trademark Notice - All names, logos and trademarks are the property of Kimberly-Clark and you may not use any of such materials for any purpose without the express written agreement of Kimberly-Clark. (emphasis added)
from: http://www.kimberly-clark.com/terms_of_use.asp, I sent the following message via their "Contact us" form at Kimberly-Clark with my personal email address as contact:
The members of the Scot's Newsletter Forum, based on http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/, are planning on using the nickname "Scotties" to collectively represent the membership of the forum.  The nickname is derived from the name of our host, Scot Finnie.Because this is a computer and general discussion forum, in no way relating to any product produced by Kimberly-Clark, it is our belief that we in no way infringe the valid Intellectual Property of Kimberly-Clark.  Rather, we are using a derivative of our host's name.Please acknowledge receipt of this notice at your earliest convenience.Thank you.
I cannot envision their not providing permission to use the name. So unless I receive notice to the contrary, it appears to me that based on their TOS, we will be able to be called Scotties. (Scot + t + Finnies) -- That is, if that's the way the vote tallies!Considering the above, I'd like to change my vote to Scotties as 1st choice & Finnigeans as 2nd choice.

Guest Paracelsus
Since I started this (I'm sorry)
No need to be sorry, Corrine :w00t: It's something that probably should be taken into consideration. Most holders of Copyright a/o Trademarks will say something about... "You can't do"... Blah, Blah Blah... "Without Our Consent". However...That does not, and can not, override Federal Statute. I reiterate that usage in our instance does not infringe on the rights of Kimberly-Clark to unambiguously identify their Products & Services.It was probably a good idea to contact them, and I applaud you for taking the time to do so.This will be my last post on the subject...(Although, I can't guarantee that LabRat won't have something to say when he returns from Sabbatical tomorrow) :w00t:

I have to agree with Jeber - The ScotsScotties just sounds like something for a day-care center and The Scots sounds more like a clan name :w00t: just my opinion - not ment to offend

Guest Paracelsus
I have to agree with Jeber - The ScotsScotties just sounds like something for a day-care center and The Scots sounds more like a clan name  :w00t:   just my opinion - not meant to offend
Day Care Center!! :w00t: :w00t: (Although... Some days I feel like could use one... for myself)And while I can't speak for everyone...You'll need to something more than express your opinion to offend me, Kelly :D "Scots" is (are?) good also... And I'm at least 100 Proof, myself :D

I can't believe I missed this thread when it was first posted. I had created a nickname for all of us a long time ago based on the acronym SNF (Scot's Newsletter Forums), which I would have suggested a month ago had I known: 'sniffers'.

OK, why not. Consider it up for consideration. In fact, I'm kind of tickled by this one. I may have to rethink. I hope everyone realizes that this is a purely selfish quest. As I first stated, I'm just tired of typing "members" or "posters" ( both with several meanings, a few of which make me smile everytime I use them), and wanted a unique, easy-to-type name that I could use instead. And I shall use it. Whether or not anyone else follows suit is a personal choice. The outcome of this little contest is in no way creating a manditory standard. Of course if we can convince Scot to start using it here and there in the Newsletter...then I suppose it would at least become known. I'm becoming concerned with Scotties. If Scot were to say he had a forum full of Scotties or Scots...he's either a dog breeder or nationalist.

:rolleyes:  sorry - that was the first thing that came to my mindI picture The Scots as the movie Braveheart - warriors
yeah, and a bunchof us are penguins........ so logically, we are warrier penguins.oh, dear...... :w00t: :P