• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rolanaj

rolanaj

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

Ok so the only real reason for me to have Windows 7 still around is gaming ( I know this because I tried a PCLInuxOS live CD in my laptop and everything just worked).I'm not a serious gamer by the way but I do have a few games I like to play and I have no idea how or where to start with wine. Is wine the best thing to use? Are there others? I don't have actual copies of Windows just the restore CD's that came with the respective computers but I'm assuming to run Windows virtually I would need the actual install CD'sSo does anyone here play Windows games on their computer using wine (or other) and can you help or even point me in a good direction to start.
Registered Linux User #554733

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,782 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

In order to install a game using wine you need to open up a terminal and navigate to the directory where the setup.exe file is located. Then:
$ wine setup.exe
to install the game.Here is a list of games that wine currently supports: http://appdb.winehq.org/and here is a list of Linux games http://happypenguin.org/That being said, I also have a Windows 7 partition for gaming but I disable the network while running windoze. I do not play games very much but when I do they are generally new FPS (First Person Shooters) that are very graphic intensive. I find that wine does not support newer games and ones that require anything higher than DirectX 9 to run.For now, windows is still required for most of commercial games but there are literally hundreds of great games for Linux.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   arochester

arochester

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

1) Wine and games - http://frankscorner.org/2) http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/ . Look particularly at "Linux Gaming Sites" on the right

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,782 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

View Postarochester, on Aug 15 2010, 02:48 PM, said:

http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/ . Look particularly at "Linux Gaming Sites" on the right
Nice link arochester. Bookmarked for later B)

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

I have used VirtualBox for some lower intensity games.You need to have a pretty high end machine to run your native OS, VirtualBox, and still have enough CPU/RAM to run the game virtually.Most of the factory restore discs are set up with the OS on one CD/DVD and the Drivers and Applications on the others, so you might be able to do an install in a virtual environment.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#6 OFFLINE   rolanaj

rolanaj

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for the links and insight I'll read up on these and see how far I can get :thumbsup:

#7 OFFLINE   rolanaj

rolanaj

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

I am now installing Guild Wars with wine, from what I've been reading Guild Wars works well with Wine. Guild Wars also offers a free trial on their website if anyone is interested in trying it Guild Wars Free Trial

#8 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,782 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

View Postrolanaj, on Aug 18 2010, 12:38 PM, said:

I am now installing Guild Wars with wine, from what I've been reading Guild Wars works well with Wine. Guild Wars also offers a free trial on their website if anyone is interested in trying it Guild Wars Free Trial
Looks cool.

#9 OFFLINE   rolanaj

rolanaj

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

Well that was actually really easy and painless :thumbsup: Guild Wars works really well with Wine in PCLinuxOS. Maybe I should try actually getting some Linux games.  I did find Regnum Online which is for both Linux and Windows. I downloaded an installer for Linux and it is an .exe file??? Seems strange to me.

#10 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,782 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

Well I went to the website to download Regnum and it gave me a linux installer. Here is the link to the file:RegunmOnlineInstall_32

#11 OFFLINE   rolanaj

rolanaj

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

Well I got it to work but it was really really choppy. When I disconnected it said there was a connection error so I'll try again later to see if it works any better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users