• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Frank Golden

Frank Golden

Migrant Nuclear Worker

• Forum MVP
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:50 AM

I posted this at Eric's Out of the Woods forum and figured I'd post it here as well.To save me some typing I'm copying that post here. Thought it might be of interest.Hi folks, Intrepid has a program installed in it called usb-creator. It is a tool to automate the conversion of a USB flash drive into a "live CD". It is a GUI program and all you have to do is plug in a suitable flash drive (a 2GB drive will work well) and start the usb-creator program. Your drive will appear in a field. You then can insert you Ubuntu live CD or browse to the raw .iso you created the live CD with. Creating a live USB from a raw .iso is very fast (less than 2 minutes) while using a already prepared live CD is glacially slow. What you end up with is a bootable live CD on your USB drive. If you computer supports booting from a USB flash drive, when you boot to it it performs exactly like a live CD. It boots and runs much quicker than a real live CD though. You can also install from the flash drive to your HDD just like the live CD.The only fly in the ointment is that the latest 2 versions create flawed live USB's. There is a bug report filed. I have tested earlier versions of usb-creator and they work great when installed in hardy and intrepid. The following links are for 64 bit intrepid and 32 bit intrepid but the various versions should install on 64 and 32bit hardy also. They installed on my copy of Hardy 64 bit just fine.https://launchpad.ne...d64/usb-creatorhttps://launchpad.ne...386/usb-creatorThe versions I tested were v0.1.5 through v0.1.10. The last two versions (v0.1.9 and v0.1.10) were the troublemakers.The program is included with intrepid RC and will probably be in the intrepid final. You will need to uninstall the newest versions from intrepid and install one of the earlier versions using the .deb installer.Hardy doesn't have usb-creator installed by default so no un install of the troublesome version is needed.A live USB flash drive is a great way to test a Ubuntu distro without installing it.Usb creator only works with Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xbuntu, all releases.

Edited by Frank Golden, 28 October 2008 - 03:05 AM.

Frank Golden

Acer Aspire as5672WLMi, Core 2 Duo Merom (T7200/2.0 GHz) Centrino, 500 GB Seagate Momentus 7200 rpm (SATA) HDD,   4 GB Corsair DDR2-PC5300 ram, ATi Radeon X1400 (128 MB built-in vram/384 MB system ram),
Win 7 Home Premium | Ubuntu 10.04 LTS  & Ultimate Edition 2.8 | Mandriva 2010.2 Gnome | PCLinuxOS 2010 Gnome & KDE ]
Registered Linux User #423741
Registered Ubuntu User # 6235

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke

#2 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:00 AM

Nice one Frank !! Looks like a fun tool !  :w00t: :w00t: Bruno

#3 OFFLINE   Anil

Anil

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

View PostFrank Golden, on Oct 28 2008, 12:20 PM, said:

Usb creator only works with Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xbuntu, all releases.
UNetbootin is a simple open source tool that allows you to install a variety of distributions , without burning a CD. It is worth giving it a try !link:

Edited by Anil, 29 October 2008 - 10:11 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

Anil, thanks for the link. It does need to be updated, I was redirected here http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Frank Golden

Frank Golden

Migrant Nuclear Worker

• Forum MVP
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:18 PM

Hi folks, I downloaded the Windows version of UNetbooting and used it to make a live USB of Ubuntu intrepid (beta) 64 bit.I used a 4 GB Sandisk Titanium with a raw .iso I had on hand. It took a little longer to create than usb-creator (maybe because it was running in XP). The resulting live USB worked perfectly. My computer BIOS has a feature that is very handy. If I press f12 during the POST process a menu will appear allowing me to choose the disk/drive to boot. The usb drive shows up in the menu but will only boot if the drive is directly plugged into one of the 4 built-in usb ports on my machine.If the drive is plugged into my Belkin 7 port Powered USB hub I get a missing OS error, even though the BIOS sees it. Strange.I only have 2 non Ubuntu .iso's on hand (PCLinuxOS 2008 Gnome and a much earlier PCLinuxOS 2007 Gnome).For some unknown reason UNetbooting won't create a usable live USB from the 2008 .iso (it extracts only a fraction of the files needed and then declares success) but it creates a useful live USB from the older 2007 version.When I get time I will test the program installed on Ubuntu Intrepid.Having the ability to produce a live USB from almost any distro is a great idea. Live USB's boot and run much quicker than a live CD.in my experience a live USB boots in one tenth the time of a live CD and runs much faster once booted due to the greater speed of USB drives. This more nearly approximates the way a HDD install would behave. The only drawback is some older computers can't boot from a USB flash drive.It doesn't mention it at UNetbooting's site but the live USB produced by usb-creator is persistent, that is some of your settings (desktop and data) are kept after you close the live USB session.

Edited by Frank Golden, 29 October 2008 - 06:31 PM.

Frank Golden

Acer Aspire as5672WLMi, Core 2 Duo Merom (T7200/2.0 GHz) Centrino, 500 GB Seagate Momentus 7200 rpm (SATA) HDD,   4 GB Corsair DDR2-PC5300 ram, ATi Radeon X1400 (128 MB built-in vram/384 MB system ram),
Win 7 Home Premium | Ubuntu 10.04 LTS  & Ultimate Edition 2.8 | Mandriva 2010.2 Gnome | PCLinuxOS 2010 Gnome & KDE ]

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke

#6 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:04 AM

View PostFrank Golden, on Oct 29 2008, 11:18 PM, said:

Having the ability to produce a live USB from almost any distro is a great idea. Live USB's boot and run much quicker than a live CD.in my experience a live USB boots in one tenth the time of a live CD and runs much faster once booted due to the greater speed of USB drives. This more nearly approximates the way a HDD install would behave. The only drawback is some older computers can't boot from a USB flash drive.
True, the speed of running a Live distro from USB is great !

View PostFrank Golden, on Oct 29 2008, 11:18 PM, said:

It doesn't mention it at UNetbooting's site but the live USB produced by usb-creator is persistent, that is some of your settings (desktop and data) are kept after you close the live USB session.
Hmmm, I did not know that ! This makes it even better suited for use as "mobile-distro", just put it in your pocket when you are travelling.:thumbsup: Bruno

#7 OFFLINE   Frank Golden

Frank Golden

Migrant Nuclear Worker

• Forum MVP
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

View PostBruno, on Oct 30 2008, 12:04 AM, said:

True, the speed of running a Live distro from USB is great !  Hmmm, I did not know that ! This makes it even better suited for use as "mobile-distro", just put it in your pocket when you are travelling.:thumbsup: Bruno
It's only supposed to save your desktop settings and data. You can adjust the size of the space allocated for this during the create process.It won't save things like wi-fi login info etc. This is with usb-creator.
Frank Golden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users