what does foo mean?

cybormoron

cybormoron

i see this word used a lot in various contexts but i can't find out what it is. i just saw foomatic being installed while configuring my printer. i see it used in tutorials describing example files. what the heck is a foo? is this some urban slang as in "i pity the foo"? is it an acromyn? where does this word come from and why is it used around linux?

i see this word used a lot in various contexts but i can't find out what it is. i just saw foomatic being installed while configuring my printer. i see it used in tutorials describing example files. what the heck is a foo? is this some urban slang as in "i pity the foo"? is it an acromyn? where does this word come from and why is it used around linux?
I've seen it used as a word that can stand for anything - /home/ray/photo/foo.jpg would be an example file in my photo directory. Or /etc/interfaces/foo.conffoo was a nonsense word often used in the old Smokey Stover comic strip - it's claimed to mean "Good Luck" in Chinese. ????

cybormoron

thanks guys, that explains it to my satisfaction. i didn't even think of searching wikipedia. i seem to remember googling once before but didn't find anything, now it's right there on top.

Cluttermagnet

I agree. I think jimg has it nailed. Probably it originated around or prior to WWII. "Foo" is just a cleaned up, more modern adaptation, but very mild and bearing little resemblance to the original acronym.BTW I noted with sad interest the true meaning of "fubar bundy" in the wikipedia reference to fubar, and I speculate that there is some connection to the Al Bundy character in the American TV series "Married With Children". Now there was a miserable SO... well, you know... ;) B)

In the urban context, it's probably just short for fool.
Indeed, and in the computer world, nothing more than a nonsense word these days- a 'placeholder'. Foomatic printer configurator indeed. I swear, there must be little robots in there, Martha... ;) Edited by Cluttermagnet

• 3 months later...

I've always been a strong believer in the "File or Object" origins of foo, especially in my readings that "UNIX doesn't distinguish between a file and a device", making binary information from a "File Or device (Ojbect)" the same FOO to manipulate.Any comments or support for this theory from others?

Edited by PaiPimenta

I've always been a strong believer in the "File or Object" origins of foo, especially in my readings that "UNIX doesn't distinguish between a file and a device", making binary information from a "File Or device (Ojbect)" the same FOO to manipulate.Any comments or support for this theory from others?
way back I heard it was File Or Output

FUBAR is also an old army acronym meaning F----d Up Beyond All Recovery, excuse the bleeped French language. :)In computer terms, foo just usually means an example, along with it's cousin bar.

What is Foo Bar? Who is John Doe?On a related note, I've been told that "snafu" is an acronym for Situation Normal All F# Up, which may or may not be true. Who the foo bar? Certainly not this John Doe?