Screenshots in dsl 4.2.5-

Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

What native utilities that come with dsl could I use to preserve a screen shot?I would like to save just 1 screen shot to either removable media or just put it in the folder which saves my dsl settings (in my /home partition, hda6). In the latter case, the screenshot would need to be in a form accessible by other distros.Available media would pretty much be limited to floppies, I guess. I'm ruling out CD's (CD drive not a burner). Also, flash drives are not an option because this tower has only 1 USB socket, and that socket is presently taken by a USB mouse. BTW I will probably also need to be 'clued' as to how you might mount a floppy under dsl. Heh!Any ideas?So far I was unsuccessful saving it using the PrintScrn key and trying to open it in mtPaint.Ultimately, I would want to print the graphic. I don't presently have experience setting up printers in dsl, so that is yet another option I could pursue.Thanks,ClutterEdit: No, there is actually a 2nd USB jack. I just found the critter, hidden at the bottom of the front panel. :thumbsup:

Edited by Cluttermagnet

So far I was unsuccessful saving it using the PrintScrn key and trying to open it in mtPaint.
The PrintScrn key would indeed not work in D Small Linux but with the native *paint* software ( Xpaint ) you can make a screenshot. What I used to do however is use MyDSL to install "Imagemagick" and after that do "$ import -window root screenshot.png" on the commandline. ( more ways to take a screenshot with imagemagick can be found Here ):thumbsup: BrunoPS: If you can not handle Imagemagick: Inkscape and The Gimp are also available in MyDSL

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, Bruno!I think you are assuming I know more than I really do here. I was able to download Imagemagick using myDSL (I think). I don't know how to confirm the download, however (where would I look for the download files?) I also don't know the correct syntax to install that utility (or the other 2 utilities you mentioned). I am assuming the install is a separate command line task (?) If I can once get that far, I think I may know what to do next.I still have so very much to learn about all the simple, basic commands used in Linux distros. Sometimes I can figure it out myself, other times like this, I just ask for help from the more experienced. ;)BTW just to remind- I am running in a live CD session of dsl. So everything is either in RAM or my Linux swap partition, unless it gets put in the 'persistent' dsl file in my /home partition. I'm probably stating the obvious here.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

I think you are assuming I know more than I really do here. I was able to download Imagemagick using myDSL (I think). I don't know how to confirm the download, however (where would I look for the download files?) I also don't know the correct syntax to install that utility (or the other 2 utilities you mentioned). I am assuming the install is a separate command line task (?) If I can once get that far, I think I may know what to do next.
Okay Clutter, here is the deal: once you installed imagemagick with MyDSL the command I gave you:
$ import -window root screenshot.png

will work and not complain or spit out errors. And you will find a file called screenshot.png in the /home/dsl directory.Imagemagick is a commandline program and "import" is one of the commands that comes with the program. ( So in a nutshell: if the command "import" works you can be sure that the imagemagick program is installed )Even if you run D Small Live you can install the programs you find in MyDSL. And in your case you ONLY need to install imagemagick, that is all :thumbsup::thumbsup: Bruno

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, Bruno-Well, I got my desired result. I was able to save a file called "confirm.aspx.html" persistently. This was done using the Print Scrn key, as I remember. This means the file should be copiable or printable, etc. Meanwhile, the need for the screen capture has lessened because I also received an email confirmation of what that screen showed. "confirm.aspx.html" is indeed in /home/dsl every time I reboot dsl.But I do not think that imagemagick had anything to do with the screen capture. OTOH I did see imagemagick listed under "MyDSL" along with the "MyDSL Browser" choice. So I was successful in downloading and installing imagemagick during that session, but maybe not quite so successful in using that command line to create a screen shot. I never did see any specimens of "screenshot.png" at any time, in /home/dsl.

( So in a nutshell: if the command "import" works you can be sure that the imagemagick program is installed )
That means my results were ambiguous. On the one hand, I saw imagemagick listed under MyDSL. OTOH the "screenshot.png" was never created, silently or otherwise.One other factor at the time- Firefox had too many tabs open and was running *extremely* sluggish. I heard a lot of hard drive thrash and a lot of CD reads going on for many, many minutes on end. I think my little 600MHz P3 CPU/ 128K L2 cache and 393M of RAM were simply overwhelmed at the time. I've been trying to make the minimal hardware do too much. So I'm not blaming imagemagick for anything that might have gone wrong. :) Edited by Cluttermagnet

Hi ClutterIf you are running the Live version the installed ( or not ) program imagemagick will disappear at the next reboot. But what you could do to be sure there is no screenshot.png ( maybe you did the command as "root" and in that case it would be stored in another location ) you could give 2 simple commands ( as root ):

# updatedb# locate screenshot.png

Note: the first command will take some time to finishNote-2: if the second command comes out empty there is no such file as screenshot.pngAbout Firefox: I do not know the minimum FF needs but 600MHz P3 CPU and 393M of RAM should be enough . . . don't you think ?There is a lightweight browser D Small has as default: Dillo . . . maybe try that one ?:thumbsup: Bruno

Cluttermagnet

Hi, Bruno-I know about dillo. I really should use it more. It's very fast, but it does not faithfully render all web page setups. For example, in Scot's Forums, it leaves out the horizontal bar between posts. Also, it does not have the 'essential two' support utilities (extensions)- NoScript and AdBlock. I especially like the added layer of security which NoScript is adding!I will try your 2 suggestions later this evening. I know that imagemagick will not be persistent between sessions of dsl. I would have to download/install each time I needed it. OTOH it is very fast and easy to do that. :D Yes, I thought I had enough hardware to run Firefox, but actually I found that I was able to overload the OS or at least Firefox by leaving multiple tabs up and leaving the system running continuously for several days. Heh! I guess it would be better to have that 'freshly booted' feeling. ;) Man, was Firefox ever sluggish! It reminded me of how slow a defrag goes on a poor (neglected) customer Windows installation when they have allowed the hard drive to nearly fill up. o:) I had lots of drive thrash and the nearly constant whine of the CD drive spinning up and down. :thumbsup:

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Yes, I thought I had enough hardware to run Firefox, but actually I found that I was able to overload the OS or at least Firefox by leaving multiple tabs up and leaving the system running continuously for several days. Heh! I guess it would be better to have that 'freshly booted' feeling. :)
One would almost think that version of FF has a memory-leak. . . . But it could also be that installing Imagemagick ( in RAM ) takes to much of your available memory and that way there is not enough left to have FF open with multiple tabs.B) Bruno