39 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

I'm certainly curious to know the outcome of your troubleshooting.... ;)Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#27 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

I got the new Time Machine update and it does not seem to have fixed whatever is wrong.I currently have already done the following tests:Moved the 500GB drive to another enclosure using USB2 instead of Firewire. RESULT: no change. Time Machine locked up the system during the process of backing up again.This drive was working perfectly before the 10.5.2 update.Now any time I enable Time Machine it messes up the Time Machine partition to the point where it won’t repair or even verify. It fails within 24 hrs of turning Time Machine on.I am going to take the drive into Linux and do a read/write verification on the entire drive to see if it now has sector problems.I have a bad feeling about this.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#28 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:47 PM

In the meantime, I have removed Time Machine from my menu bar and dock. As far as I am concerned Time Machine doesn't exist.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#29 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:38 AM

I am going to take the drive into Linux and do a read/write verification on the entire drive to see if it now has sector problems.
Let us know if the drive is good........ ;)Adam

#30 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:56 AM

Ah! The sweet peace of running a non-hoggy operating system! Tiger is certainly the general use OS for even the 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM PPC Mac Mini. And certainly adding a larger and slightly faster drive didn't hurt either! Thanks for coming down to help get that done yesterday, Adam!So as you may have guessed; yesterday we cracked, errr, actually popped, (cracking the case would be a bad thing :blink: ). While we had it open, we replaced the Mac Mini 3V Lithium battery and exchanged the 80GB 4200rpm drive for a 160GB 5400rpm drive.With that upgrade; we also did something a little different (borrowed a play book from Linux -- dual booting). I like Leopard a lot, there is a lot to like, but it really bogs down the Mac Mini, especially after the 10.5.2 update. I also was upset about things not working right such as Time Machine, and some other issues, even printing from my DeskJet 882C wouldn't work right in Leopard in many programs. And that's a basic need as far as I am concerned.Tiger on the other hand, just works on the PPC Mac Mini. And even it got a speed boost from a new install and the faster drive.I now can dual boot between Tiger (general duty OS) and Leopard (change of pace and to enjoy the things that work better there). I also am hoping to resize the third data partition in the next couple weeks to install the latest Ubuntu for the PPC Mac.That will give me three OSes to choose from and a separate data partition; and my backup drive as well with manual backups.The hardest part was going backwards physically. It took time to bring in the data and  reinstall software when needed (not much really), but some were needed. And making sure I could get all my data and programs back in place.I have pretty much done that for Tiger and will at my leisure do the same for Leopard.This little Mac Mini just got a new lease on life! And boy does it move quickly now.I am very happy with my Mac Mini again! :thumbsup:Thanks again Adam for your contributions from so many directions!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#31 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

;)You're welcome. It was fun... a bit panicky for that half hour or so, but fun. :)Adam

#32 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, but it came out alright, thankfully. :thumbsup:We were very fortunate on that one. :'(
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#33 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

Or somewhat boneheaded, depending on how you look at it.... :lol:Adam

#34 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:14 PM

LOL! No harm, no foul! or is that fowl? hmmmNo harm was done to the Mini in the process so I feel very fortunate and it worked like a champ once we figured out what was wrong LOL!And I don't feel like I am working in jello anymore. Nice speedy Tiger! :'(
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#35 OFFLINE   Grasshopper

Grasshopper

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:51 PM

These problems you (and others) are having....Is this only a problem with upgrading? Or do these issues bleed over into buying a new machine with Leopard already installed?
A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown

#36 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:16 PM

I am not sure. I did a clean install of Leopard so it wasn't an upgrade per se.And it was somewhat sluggish even after the Spotlight database updates. But it got considerably worse after 10.5.2.I don't know what they did in that patch, but it sucked big time for even a 1.42Ghz Mac Mini with 1GB RAM. And as I noted, it broke stuff too.But Tiger is doing wonderful on it. Speedy and a wonderful OS. It's great to have a nice speedy computer again...well, it was never quite this speedy even with a fresh install -- that 5400rpm drive really did make a big difference.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#37 OFFLINE   Grasshopper

Grasshopper

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

I've experienced a jump in performance when I upgraded a 4200 rpm drive to a 7200 on a laptop. Yeah...it's big.I guess I need to research Leopard a little more.
A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown

#38 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:42 AM

Yeah, they tell ya that with the Mini, heat is a problem if you move to a 7200 drive in it.But you really can feel the difference with the 5400.I bet that's an issue with the MacBook Air too ... isn't that a 4200 drive?Scot has a MacBook Air, and some others here. Have you noticed any slowdown on performance compared with other MacBooks?Course, we are talking the difference between Intel Macs and PPC Macs. My Mini is PPC. And I do think there are some real differences between them.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#39 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

The Mac Book Air uses an ipod (1.8") drive or SSD flash memory. ;)Adam

#40 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 21,441 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:40 PM

The Apple MacBook Air specifications say:

Storage    * 80GB 4200-rpm Parallel ATA hard disk drive2    * Optional 64GB solid-state drive
So yeah, I think I heard it was an iPod drive too, but the drive is stated in the specs as being 4200rpm. I remembered reading some annoyance reviews about the 4200 drive was all. Below is one that talks about the slow 4200rpm drive. Have to remember that most folks are used to 7200rpm drives and the speed benefit it brings to all computers that make use of them.Top 10 Flaws of the Macbook Air - Jan 15 2008 - 11:52pm | Posted by Jonny under Tech + Gadgets and #5 is:

Slow 1.8" Hard drive The base model comes with a 1.8" hard drive. As most computer enthusiasts know, 1.8" hard drives top out at 4,200rpm. Compared to regular 2.5" notebook hard drives that are at least 5400rpm (or even up to 7,200rpm), the Macbook Air hard drive is slow. I myself have a X41 Thinkpad Tablet and it is excruciating slow to boot and load programs from the 4,200rpm drive.

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users