How to remove orphaned drive letter...

telecomguy9

telecomguy9

I have a computer that has a driver labeled removable drive but it's not connected to anything. It's like it remained after a thumb drive was plugged in and than removed. It's very strange. I can't figure out how to get rid of it. When you double click on it you get prompted to insert a disk, kind of like what happens when you double click the A: drive and it's empty. Any suggestions?

Are you sure it was a flash drive? As you can see from the screenshot of MyComputer, for some reason this computer calls my CD burner a Removable Disk. This burner was an original install. The DVD burner I installed later appears standard.zlimcomputer.pngIf you have TweakUI installed, go to the tab "My Computer" and uncheck the letter for the orphaned drive, and click apply. Reboot and it should be gone. Now go into TweakUI again and check the letter, hopefully that got rid of the orphaned drive.

Edited by zlim

telecomguy9

It doesn't show up as a cd drive. It shows up as a removable drive. It's definitely weird. However, I'll install TweakUI on the computer and try what you suggest and we'll see what happens.

telecomguy9

Thanks zlim. I ended up finding out that this referenced an Epson printer that used to be on the computer but was removed. I guess the printer maybe had some memory card slots built into it? I don't know, but the drive letter is now gone.